SACW | Dec 6-9, 2009 / Afghan Women's Rights / Balochoistan Crisis / International Bureau for 'Laicite' / Bangladesh: Scuttle Parallel Justice

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 02:52:10 CST 2009

South Asia Citizens Wire | December 6-9, 2009 | Dispatch No. 2674 -
Year 12 running
From: www.sacw.net

[ SACW Dispatches for 2009-2010 are dedicated to the memory of Dr.
Sudarshan Punhani (1933-2009), husband of Professor Tamara Zakon and
a comrade and friend of Daya Varma ]

____

[1]  Bangladesh: Dealing with fatwa - Human rights activists' role is
crucial (Editorial, Daily Star)
[2]  Afghanistan: Keep Promises to Afghan Women (Human Rights Watch)
[3]  Nepal: Peace Process Heading South (Gautam Navlakha)
[4]  Pakistan: State Response to The Crisis Balochoistan - Reflections
  (i) Balochistan: A test of resolve (I. A. Rehman)
  (ii) The Balochistan Package: Band-Aid on a Bullet Wound (Alia
Amirali)
  (iii) The AfPak apparition (Kamila Shamsie)
  (iv) Balochistan: too small an olive branch (Qurratulain Zaman)
[5] A Transnational Platform To Take on the Fundamentalists Calls :
International Bureau for 'Laicite' (Sign on statement)
[6] India: Resources For Secular Activists on >
communalism.blogspot.com and sacw.net
   - Under the rubble (Harsh Mander)
   - The dialects of Ayodhya and Manmohan Singh (Jawed Naqvi)
   - Liberhan Commission; Painful wait for Justice (Ram Puniyani)
   - Incomplete Catharsis (Mahesh Rangarajan)
   - Little men re-enact Ayodhya chaos inside Parliament (Siddharth
Varadarajan)
   - Concerned Citizens of Gujarat for Prosecution of architect of
demolition of Babri
   - Indian American Muslim group demands immediate civil and
criminal action against all accused in the Liberhan Report
   - British Indian Muslims urge British Government to declare the 68
terrorists persona non grata
[7] Book Reviews:
    - Economy, Culture, and Civil War in Sri Lanka edited by Deborah
Winslow and Michael D. Woost (Alex Argenti-Pillen)
    - A Grand Daughter's Tribute (Rita Manchanda)
[8] Announcements:
    (i) The Play “Dekh Tamasha chalta Ban” by Ajoka (Islamabad, 10
December, 2009)
    (ii) Seminar on India-Pakistan Relations (Bombay, 10th December
2009)
   (iii) Join UNI workers union March to Parliament (New Delhi, 14
December 2009)
   (iv) Announcement of Health and Human Rights Course 2010

_____

[1] Bangladesh:

The Daily Star, December 8, 2009

EDITORIAL: DEALING WITH FATWA: HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISTS' ROLE IS CRUCIAL

FATWA or an edict, that self-anointed rural adjudicators issue in
collaboration with influential locals, is ruining the lives of many
women in rural areas. Most of the victims are not in a position to
fight for their rights as such decrees are passed in the name of
religion. The image of religion itself is undermined in the process.

President Zillur Rahman has urged the National Human Rights
Commission to work for elimination of the practice which is based on
misinterpretation of religion and exploitation of religious
sentiments of people. Obviously, the commission has to make some
determined efforts to banish it and make sure that it does not remain
a potent weapon in the hands of village headmen and mullahs.

Such decrees actually create misunderstanding and confusion in the
public mind and in most cases the perpetrators are blamed for the
punishment, often inhumane, meted out to the victims. However, the
issue is definitely more complex than it looks. The victims are
mostly women poorly represented in the rural power structure. There
is nobody to plead their cases and the verdict passed often goes
unchallenged. Regrettably, the arbitrator plays into the hands of
vested groups, instead of taking a stand in favour of the victim.
Nothing could be a more serious violation of the rights of women,
that Islam protects as a matter of principle, than such crude
application of judgment.

No less damaging for women is the social condition tilting heavily in
favour of men. The male domination of rural society is so absolute
that the crimes committed by men are often condoned or overlooked in
arbitration meetings. The poor women have to suffer silently for the
wrongs done to them by mischievous elements having a powerful
position in society. The mock trial of some rapists in Barguna
recently is a case in point.

So, blunting the force is inextricably linked to empowerment of
women. The religious leaders also have a very important role in
protecting women from being harassed, tortured or pilloried publicly
by the exponents of so-called fatwa. They have to make a point of
opposing the elements who have neither the competence, nor the legal
authority, to issue fatwa. Their attempts to set up a parallel
justice system amounts to a punishable offence.

The human rights activists have to organise a social movement against
such manipulative tactics which allow religion to be used by self-
seekers.

_____

[2] Afghanistan

Human rights Watch

AFGHANISTAN: KEEP PROMISES TO AFGHAN WOMEN
Extremist Threat to Women Increasing, Government Failing to Protect

December 6, 2009

The Full report is available at:
     “We Have the Promises of the World”
http://www.hrw.org/en/reports/2009/12/03/we-have-promises-world

     The situation for Afghan women and girls is dire and could
deteriorate. While the world focuses on the Obama administration’s
new security strategy, it’s critical to make sure that women’s and
girls’ rights don’t just get lip service while being pushed to the
bottom of the list by the government and donors.
     Rachel Reid, Afghanistan researcher

(New York) - Eight years after the fall of the Taliban, women and
girls suffer high levels of violence and discrimination and have poor
access to justice and education, Human Rights Watch said in a new
report released today.  The Afghan government has also failed to
bring killers of prominent women in public life to justice, creating
an environment of impunity for those who target women.

The 96-page report, "We Have the Promises of the World: Women's
Rights in Afghanistan," details emblematic cases of ongoing rights
violations in five areas: attacks on women in public life; violence
against women; child and forced marriage; access to justice; and
girls' access to secondary education.

"The situation for Afghan women and girls is dire and could
deteriorate," said Rachel Reid, Afghanistan researcher at Human
Rights Watch. "While the world focuses on the Obama administration's
new security strategy, it's critical to make sure that women's and
girls' rights don't just get lip service while being pushed to the
bottom of the list by the government and donors."

While the plight of women and girls under the Taliban was used to
help justify the 2001 invasion of Afghanistan, women's rights have
not been a consistent priority of the government or its international
backers. With fundamentalist factions in government gathering
strength, the insurgency gaining ground, and some form of
reconciliation with Taliban factions firmly on the horizon, the gains
made by Afghan women and girls since 2001 in areas such as education,
work, and freedom of movement are under serious threat.

"Women are not a priority for our own government or the international
community," Shinkai Karokhail, a member of Parliament, told Human
Rights Watch. "We've been forgotten."

Women in public life are subject to routine threats and intimidation.
Several high profile women have been assassinated, but their killers
have not been brought to justice. When Sitara Achakzai, an outspoken
and courageous human rights defender and politician, was murdered in
April 2009, her death was another warning to all women who are active
in public life.

High profile women interviewed for this report say that they feel
they are not taken seriously when they report threats. One member of
parliament who, like some others, spoke anonymously because of the
danger they face, told Human Rights Watch:

"I've had so many threats. I report them sometimes, but the
authorities tell me not to make enemies, to keep quiet. But how can I
stop talking about women's rights and human rights?"

A woman police officer who has received death threats said:

"They told me that they will kill my daughters. Every minute I'm
afraid. I can never go home - the government cannot protect me there.
My old life is over."

One nationwide survey of levels of violence against Afghan women
found that 52 percent of respondents experienced physical violence,
and 17 percent reported sexual violence. Yet because of social and
legal obstacles to accessing justice, few women and girls report
violence to the authorities. These barriers are particularly
formidable in rape cases. Although women activists and members of
parliament pushed hard and succeeded in putting rape on the statute
books this year for the first time, the government has shown little
willingness to treat each case as a serious crime or to engage in a
public education campaign to change attitudes.

The lack of justice compounds women's vulnerability. One woman who
was gang raped by a well connected local commander found that after a
long fight to bring her rapists to justice, they were freed by a
presidential decree. Soon after in 2009, her husband was
assassinated. The woman told Human Rights Watch that he was killed
because he had battled for her rights:

"I have lost my son, my honor, and now my husband," she said. "But I
am just a poor woman, so who will listen to me?"

Surveys suggest that in more than half of all marriages, the wives
are under age 16, and 70 to 80 percent of marriages take place
without the consent of the woman or girl. These practices underlie
many of the problems faced by women and girls, as there is a strong
correlation between domestic violence and early and forced marriage.

A 13-year-old girl who was forced into marriage explained to Human
Rights Watch that after she dared to escape she was hunted by her
husband's family: "They came and asked for me to come back. I said
no; they kept coming. I always say no... I can't go back. They want
to kill me." Women activists who gave the girl shelter were denounced
in parliament. Years later, the young woman is still fighting for a
legal separation from her illegal marriage.

This case is just one in the report that illustrates the fundamental
problem faced by women and girls of lack of access to justice.
Studies suggest that more than half the women and girls in detention
are being held for "moral crimes," such as adultery or running away
from home, despite the fact that running away from home is not a
crime in Afghan law or Sharia. But whether it is a high-profile woman
under threat, a young woman who wants to escape a child marriage, or
a victim of rape who wants to see the perpetrator punished, the
response from the police or courts is often hostile.

"Police and judges see violence against women as legitimate so they
do not prosecute cases," Dr. Soraya Sobhrang of the Afghanistan
Independent Human Rights Commission told Human Rights Watch.

Law reforms that protect women's rights are important, but leadership
is also required to help shift attitudes and prevent abuses, Human
Rights Watch said.

"The government needs to take its responsibility to protect women and
girls seriously," Reid said. "President Hamid Karzai has a lot of
work to do to restore his reputation as a moderate on women's rights."

After the destruction of many girls' schools by the Taliban,
education for girls became the most symbolic element of the
international donor effort in Afghanistan. Despite significant gains,
stark gender disparities remain. The majority of girls still do not
attend primary school. A dismal 11 percent of secondary-school-age
girls are enrolled in grades seven through nine. Only 4 percent of
girls make it to grades 10 through 12. While the number of both boys
and girls attending school drops dramatically at the secondary school
level, the decline is much more pronounced for girls.

The diminishing status of women's rights in Afghanistan was forced
back onto the agenda in March when the discriminatory Shia Personal
Status law was passed by parliament and signed by Karzai. Faced with
national and international protests, Karzai allowed the law to be
amended, but many egregious articles remain that impose drastic
restrictions upon Shia women, including the requirement that wives
seek their husbands' permission before leaving home except for
unspecified "reasonable legal reasons," and granting child custody
rights solely to fathers and grandfathers.

"We welcomed the international community's words on the Shia law -
really - they said many beautiful things, as they did in 2001" said
Wazhma Frogh, women's rights activist. "We have the promises of the
world. But still we wait to see what more they will do."

Karzai should revise the law to protect women's rights fully and
appoint women who have been active defenders of women's rights to
positions of power, Human Rights Watch said.

"The Shia law provided a timely reminder of how vulnerable Afghan
women are to political deals and broken promises," Reid said. "Karzai
should begin his new presidency with a clear signal to women that his
will be a government that wants to advance equality."

Key Recommendations of "We Have the Promises of the World: Women's
rights in Afghanistan"

     * The government and donors should make the promotion and
protection of women's rights a main priority of the country's
reconstruction and a central pillar of their political, economic, and
security strategies.

     * The government, with the support of donors, should embark on a
large-scale awareness campaign to ensure that rape is understood to
be a crime by law enforcement agencies, judges, parliament, civil
servants, and the Afghan public. The campaign should also aim to
reduce the stigmatization of victims of rape.

     * The government should make marriage registration more widely
available and compulsory.

     * The president should order the release of, and offer an
apology and compensation to, all women and girls wrongfully detained
on the charge of "running away from home."

     * The government, with the support of donors, should increase
the number and geographic coverage of girls' secondary classes by
building more girls' secondary schools, and ensure the recruitment
and training of female teachers is accelerated.

     * The government, with the support of the UN and other donors,
should prioritize security for women candidates and voters in
planning for the 2010 parliamentary elections.

     * International donors and the United Nations, in conjunction
with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, should conduct a full gender
audit of all spending in Afghanistan.

_____

[3]   NEPAL: PEACE PROCESS HEADING SOUTH

by  Gautam Navlakha

With the peace process increasingly getting scuttled, what with India
and the two main political parties opposing the Maoist agenda of
civilian supremacy and implementation of the Comprehensive Peace
Agreement of 2006, the chances of non-violent, progressive
transformation of the Nepali state and society seem increasingly dim
in the near future. The Maoists have now gone back to the people to
launch a mass protest movement. As the contradictions intensify, will
there be a takeover of power by the president with the backing of the
army, akin to a Bangladeshi-type coup? Will there be an Indonesia-
like massacre of the Maoists, as some fear? Or, will a national
government led by Maoists materialise?

FULL TEXT AT: http://www.epw.in/epw/uploads/articles/14204.pdf

_____

[4] Pakistan: State Response to The Crisis Balochoistan - Reflections

(i) BALOCHISTAN: A TEST OF RESOLVE

Why the Baloch are angry
No student of history will deny that the Baloch have taken up arms as
a last resort and not the first one

by I. A. Rehman
(The News, 6 December 2009)

Few things irritate the Balochistan nationalists more than the
question by many interlocutors from outside the province as to what
makes them angry with the central government and drives them towards
armed struggle every few years. Such queries, in their view, betray a
feigned ignorance of what has been done to them for six decades and
an effort to deny the questioner's share of responsibility for it.

Throughout the country's history the people of Balochistan have
complained of the failure of the custodians of state power to make a
sincere effort to understand, or even acknowledge, their plight. As a
result their lament has grown lengthier and lengthier and their
bitterness at being abandoned deeper and deeper.

Although the whole population of Balochistan has been agitating
against their deprivations, the Pushtuns and the Baloch have
different sets of grievances and it is only the latter that have been
taking up arms in support of their cause. We are at the moment
concerned only with the Baloch's alienation form the state as it is
the main cause of the present crisis in that region.

The Baloch have never got over their shock and anger at the way the
accession of Kalat state was manipulated. What hurt the nationalists
more than the military operation against the Khan of Kalat was their
feeling of betrayal.

Unlike the Indian Congress that viewed the future of the princely
states after the British departure from the subcontinent wholly in
terms of the political rights of their populations, the Muslim League
leaders persisted in a purely legalist interpretation of the end of
British paramountcy. As a result, the Khan of Kalat and the state's
relatively young radicals could not reconcile themselves to a
negation of the Kalat brief that the Quaid-i-Azam himself had
presented before the Cabinet Mission.

The result was that Prince Abdul Karim gave a call to arms. He failed
because the people in general had been taken into confidence, or
considered worthy of being approached even, neither by the Kalat Khan
nor the leaders of Pakistan. The latter thought the matter ended once
Abdul Karim was put in a jail in Lahore. No attempt was made to
explain to the people why matters followed a particular course.

Balochistan was promised something like provincial status on the
morrow of independence. In February 1948 Quaid-i-Azam recognised the
right of the Balochistan people to have the same rights as were
allowed to their compatriots in the rest of the country. A reform
committee set up in 1949 recommended a provincial legislature, adult
franchise and some regard for tribes' unity while demarcating
electoral constituencies. But the people of Balochistan were made to
wait till 1970 to attain provincial status.

Between 1949 and 1970 the centre's policy of ignoring the Balochistan
people's opinion forced them into confrontationist politics,
especially during 1954–70 when most of the time they had to agitate
against the One-Unit. One of the offshoots of the One Unit scheme was
the revolt of Sardar Nauroze Khan. The way the 80 years old chieftain
was treated makes the Baloch angry to this day.

In 1972, the Baloch believed their rights had begun to be recognised
but their representative government was dismissed and the central
government chose to deal with the Baloch youth's resistance through a
military operation instead of the democratic way of negotiation. The
impasse ended only when Gen Ziaul Haq pretended a change of heart and
acting contrary to the advice he had given to Mr Bhutto and PNA
leaders he stopped military action. But there was no meeting of the
hearts, no political discourse, and the Baloch were left to sulk and
nourish their grievances.

The Musharraf era has been the darkest phase for the Baloch because
in this period the government excesses started directly affecting the
common citizen. The grabbing of the Gwadar land hit a large number of
people who were not sardars. The exclusion of the Baloch from the
beneficiaries of development projects radicalised the educated and
jobless youth. The Baloch were humiliated in unprecedented ways. None
of the politicians who crossed Gen Musharraf's path was humiliated
the way Sardar Akhtar Mengal was. The ordinary Baloch were insulted
on account of the hair on their face and for wearing their
traditional shalwar. (As a reaction the young sardars and students
who had switched over to jeans resumed wearing their shalwar and
keeping long hair with a vengeance.) The Baloch have reached their
present state of alienation because the centre has proved to be
unworthy of their trust.

No student of history will deny that the Baloch have taken up arms as
a last resort and not the first one. More often than not they have
reacted to use of force against them.

Writing from his death cell to his favourite child (Ms Benazir
Bhutto) Mr Bhutto observed that a settlement of the Balochistan
crisis had been made difficult by the fact that much blood had been
shed. His successors did not study his finding and continued to bleed
Balochistan (i.e. Nawab Akbar Bugti, Ballach Marri, Ghulam Mohammad,
Rasool Bakshsh, et al) and make the political tangle more and more
intractable.

The present government started making gestures of goodwill towards
Balochistan but it has been found wanting in capital to deliver on
its promises. Its latest package is unlikely to generate a meaningful
debate.

There were many occasions in the past when open-hearted dialogue
could lead to healing of the Baloch's wounds. But killing Nawab Akbar
Bugti was preferred to negotiations with him and Nawab Khair Bukhsh
Marri was kept in prison instead of talking to him. Now that the
Baloch youth have been alienated Islamabad wants to talk to any
Marri, any Bugti, any Mengal or any Bizenjo, but neither the senior
nor the younger leaders of the Baloch resistance are listening. They
will not respond positively so long as their support among the youth
continues to grow.

The real problem Islamabad faces today is that it lacks both the
intellectual strength and the authority needed to establish a
discourse with the Baloch youth. The situation will not improve till
a fresh election is held in Balochistan but elections cannot be held
until the Baloch people's over-riding concerns about missing persons
and displaced people are addressed and decision-making powers are
restored to civilian, elected representatives of the people.

o o o

(ii)

The Friday Times, Lahore, 4 December 2009

THE BALOCHISTAN PACKAGE: BAND-AID ON A BULLET WOUND

by Alia Amirali

     “We’ve seen this before. They say sorry. Then the military
operation intensifies. More deaths, more disappearances, more
destruction. I wish they’d stop apologizing. Whenever they do, it
means something bad is brewing.” This is what a young Baloch writer
said to me last year in the wake of Zardari’s apology to the Baloch
people. I was skeptical. Wait and see, he said.

     The events that unfolded in Balochistan after the apology – a
long list which includes an unabated series of abductions,
disappearances, harassment, and torture of students and political
workers; intensification of “security operations” in the eastern
districts; deployment of the FC in Makkuran; the hair-raising
treatment meted out to political leaders Ghulam Mohammad, Lala Munir,
and Sher Mohammad (and months later also to Rasool Baksh Mengal) –
proved the young man right.

     Many would jump in here to say: “But the package calls for an
inquiry into their murders…” Yes, Aghaaz-e-Haqooq-e-Balochistan-
the name given to the recently-announced ‘package’ for
Balochistan- does call for a judicial inquiry into the murders of the
three Baloch leaders whose bodies were found thrown in the wilderness
some miles from Turbat, mutilated beyond recognition, in April this
year. But alas, in the package they messed up the names! (Instead of
Sher Mohammad, the package mistakenly says ‘Munir Ahmed’). While
the government may pass it off as a ‘typing mistake’, it is
telling of the center’s utter lack of familiarity- indeed its
disconnect - with the Baloch context, their leaders and their
aspirations.

     Considering Pakistan’s unflattering record with regards to
parliamentary committees, inquiry commissions and apologies, the
government must have been cognizant that this ‘Balochistan
package’ must make a break from history and that it must go beyond
apologies and promises. Sadly, this package does not do so. The
language flits between ‘should’ and ‘will’ (with the former
dominating), which belies that the ‘package’ is in fact a set of
proposals made by individuals in the government rather than a series
of measures being taken by the government. Why does the government
need to ‘suggest’ or ‘urge’; why does it not act? Either it
does not want to act, or it cannot; and the truth is probably a mix
of both. The authors of the package argue that all issues must go
through parliament before they can be implemented (hence the
‘proposal-like’ nature of the package). That is fair. But
considering the history of broken promises, particularly in the
Baloch context, the ‘package’ should have been announced only once
the government was in a position to act on the committee’s proposals.

     Lets move to the content. A glaring flaw in the package- and one
of the main reasons for its unanimous rejection by Baloch
nationalists- is the refusal to declare or even propose a complete
halt to military operations in the province, which is tantamount to
ignoring the ‘elephant in the room’. Viewed from another angle,
the suggestion that the role of “federal agencies” in Balochistan
be “reviewed” and “all operations not related to the fight
against terrorism” be stopped is at least an admission – coming
forth for the first time from official quarters - that there are
“operations” being conducted in Balochistan (even though the
word ‘military’ is conspicuously absent). Considering that
government and military officials have consistently denied the
existence of military operations in Balochistan, this is an
important- even if inadvertent- admission. However, linking military
operations in Balochistan to “the fight against terrorism” or- as
can be seen in other ambiguously phrased clauses of the package-
continuing to brand the Baloch guerrillas as ‘terrorists’ will
only inflame the Baloch and mislead the Pakistani public. The Baloch
guerrillas and independence-seeking nationalists reflect popular
sentiment: that is a fact that Islamabad must accept. This package
shows that we are still in denial.

     The language regarding the construction of new cantonments is
similarly ambiguous and problematic. The new cantonments in Sui and
Kohlu (only) will be ceased “for the time being” and already
constructed ones will be handed over to the FC – a highly notorious
force in Balochistan which must be withdrawn rather than strengthened
if there is to be peace in the province. There is no mention of
removing controversial military officials from the posts they have
occupied since the Musharraf era. Instead of reducing the number of
existing cantonments – which, according to a January 2007 report,
include four mega-military cantonments, 52 paramilitary cantonments,
five naval bases, and six missile-testing ranges – the package
merely states that proposals for new cantonments not be formulated
“except in frontier regions, wherever required.”

     In some ways, the most disappointing feature of the package is
the proposal of ‘constitutional amendments’ to determine the
“scope, form, and quantum” of provincial autonomy. The 1973
Constitution - which provided for complete provincial autonomy within
ten years of promulgation - does not require amendment, only
implementation. Besides, increasing the province’s ‘share’ of
revenues generated from its own resources will not resolve the center-
province conflict. It is time for the government to bite the bullet.
It must accept that complete provincial autonomy is the minimum
necessary step towards repairing decades-worth of damage and
exploitation. Regardless of who accepts it and who rejects it, the
government must implement it, no strings attached. Over time, this
step will reap fruits. It is the only way the federation can work.

     On the eve of the package’s announcement, I turned on the
television in the hope of hearing some meaningful discussions on
Balochistan. Instead, the anchors were merely pushing their Baloch
guests to point out “something positive” about the package. If we
want to ‘patch up’ with the Baloch, it is about time we stopped
pushing them (besides, they’ve already been pushed to the wall). It
is us – our state and our government and our people – who need to
be pushed. We cannot allow our state to commit another Bangladesh in
Balochistan. If we remain silent now- as we were then- the Baloch
will be right in blaming us for their misery.

     The writer is a student at the Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad.

o o o

(iii) THE AFPAK APPARITION

The Baloch people are paying a very real price for a videogame war on
a phantasmagorical land

by Kamila Shamsie
(guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 December 2009)

Someone in the American government has been reading Borges. This
would explain the creation of a fantastical place called AfPak which
occupies the same place on the map as the nations of Afghanistan and
Pakistan. AfPak has much in common with the shared border region of
the two countries – the same topography, the same militants with
their perverted form of Islam, the same distrust of central
governments. But there are distinctions. AfPak is, after all, an
abbreviated place, so it takes all the complex realities of
Afghanistan and Pakistan, ignores some, distills others – and in so
doing, distorts the picture. And of course, the strategies drawn up
about AfPak are carried out in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

To say that AfPak distils complex realities is not to imply that
AfPak itself is without complications. It is one entity but in two
parts. One part has "good Taliban", with whom US officials are
willing to enter into discussions; the other part has only "bad
Taliban", who must be "taken out" by military force. One part is
approached via troops on the ground; the other via unmanned drone
attacks.

But now it seems troops on the ground are being considered for Pak as
well, unless the Pakistan government, already locked in battle with
the Taliban, also takes on the militants who have fled Afghanistan
for Pakistan. The fact that expanding the Pakistan army's remit might
cause an even greater escalation in suicide bombings is not,
presumably, germane to AfPak strategy. But surely there's a lesson
about opening up too many fronts, even in AfPak world?

Or perhaps all this talk of US escalation is just laying the
groundwork for increasing the scale and scope of drone attacks. This
videogame form of warfare – press a button in Langley! Kill a
terrorist in AfPak! – is at present confined to the tribal regions
of "Pak".

A senior US official recently claimed the drone attacks have killed
400 terrorists and only 20 civilians in Pak. This forms a sharply
contrasting picture to the reality of Pakistan, where figures
reported by both local and international press have placed civilian
deaths in the hundreds. It appears the "Pak" to Pakistan conversion
rate is about 1:50.

The AfPak strategists now want to expand drone attacks to the
province of Balochistan, where many of the Taliban are allegedly
based – having unsurprisingly decided to flee the drone attacks in
the tribal areas. In the world of AfPak, Balochistan is the new safe
haven, and so it must be the new target. Of all the distilled and
distorted complex realities of Pakistan, this is among the most
egregious.

The province of Balochistan has been at odds with the central
government of Pakistan since 1947. During the 70s, the Baloch
separatist movement – both secular and leftist – led to a five-
year military operation, ending with the withdrawal of the army and a
period of martial law. In the succeeding years, nothing was done to
seriously address the political and economic deprivation of the
mineral-rich province. Islamabad controls Balochistan's gas, coal,
uranium and other natural resources, but returns very little to the
province in terms of revenue or infrastructure. The Frontier Corps
(which the United States wants to "strengthen" as part of its AfPak
plans) is viewed as an occupying power; hundreds or, more likely,
thousands, of Baloch are among the "disappeared people" who, in the
last decade, have been picked up by intelligence agencies and never
seen again. It is no great surprise that there are loud demands for
provincial autonomy, and great anger towards the centre.

One of President Zardari's first acts was to apologise to the people
of Balochistan for all they have suffered at the hands of the state.
On 24 November, his government tabled a wide-ranging package of
reform for Balochistan. There is scepticism in Balochistan about the
package, but at least some kind of start has been made to the vital
issue – crucial to Pakistan's hopes of coming through its
nightmarish present – of making Balochistan feel a part of the
federation, with a stake in its future.

What might derail the process? The AfPak videogame. Whether the
Taliban or al-Qaida are welcomed in Balochistan under a "my enemy's
enemy is my friend" way of thinking or not does not alter the
desperate need to prevent bombs raining down. Given the battles being
fought between province and centre, how could the Baloch fail to see
a tacit complicity of the Pakistan military behind every drone?

o o o

(iv) BALOCHISTAN: TOO SMALL AN OLIVE BRANCH

by Qurratulain Zaman,

Open Democracy, 27 November 2009
http://www.opendemocracy.net/qurratulain-zaman/balochistan-too-small-
olive-branch

About the author
Qurratulain Zam is a journalist who has worked with Pakistan’s
leading daily “Daily Times” and Germany’s international
broadcaster “Deutsche Welle”. She is currently working as a
freelancer in Bonn, Germany“

Brutal rule by Pakistan’s security agencies in Balochistan has
radicalised moderate Balochs in this largest and poorest province.
Now Pakistan’s government has offered a conciliation package. But it
looks as if it is too little, too late.

They ordered me to rape her. She was so thin and was crying when they
brought her in the room. I was terrified to look at her, as I thought
she was a spy or an agent”, says Munir Mengal, a 33- year- old
Baloch, living in forced exile in Paris.

Munir Mengal spent 16 months in underground jails of the Pakistani
intelligence agencies. “The low rank officers came back to the room
and started beating me because I didn’t obey their orders. They took
off my clothes by force, and hers too, and left us alone. In her sobs
I heard her praying in Balochi language. She was praying for someone
named Murad. That’s how I got to know she is my fellow Baloch. That
gave me the courage to talk to her.” Munir says that, still sobbing,
she told him her name was Zarina Marri. She used to be a school
teacher. She and her son Murad, who was only a few months old, were
picked up by the intelligence agencies from Kohlu.

Munir said, “Zarina was crying and asking me to kill her. Meanwhile,
3 or 4 low-ranking officers came in the room with a toolbox and told
me that if I refused to rape her they would make me impotent. I
didn’t have a clue why they were doing this to me. I fainted.  In
the morning, before the faj’r prayer they kicked me and took Zarina
Marri with them. I have no idea what happened to her.”

Munir said he was tortured physically, mentally and emotionally every
day. A chartered accountant by education and training, Munir wanted
to open up a Baloch TV channel in Pakistan. He was working on his TV
channel “Baloch Voice”, when he was picked up for the first time
when he flew into Karachi international airport on April 4, 2006.
“After 5 months in an underground jail in Malir (Karachi), one day
they took me to Major Nadeem’s office. He said they hadn’t found
anything against me and wanted to negotiate with me.” The Military
Intelligence (MI) officers informed Munir they had changed their
plans. “They were going to take me to meet President Pervez
Musharraf.  They trained me how to talk to the president. They told
me I had to address him as ‘your Excellency’ and should not tell
him anything about what had happened to me in the torture cell”,
remembered Munir. “On October 26, they gave me a haircut, new
clothes and blindfolded me. Then they took me to some military
barracks to meet the then president, Pervez Musharraf.”
Munir said the president expressed concern about the Balochistan
issue. “He said he would take care of my family’s future now,
although according to him I was becoming more dangerous than the
Baloch rebel leaders Nawab Akbar Bugti and Attaullah Khan Mengal.  He
said it was just a few sardars, tribal leaders, who were making
things bad in Balochistan with foreign aid. “I stayed quiet most of
the time”, says Munir.

“They offered to make me the liberal, educated voice of Balochistan
against the sardars. They said the’d give me and my family full
protection. But I refused to become a part of their game. That is why
in the end I fled Pakistan.”

Munir Mengal’s is not an isolated story.

The largest province of Pakistan, Balochistan is witnessing its 5th
insurgency since 1947. Many Balochs say that their region was annexed
by Pakistan. They believe the centre and the most populous province
Punjab has usurped their resources. It is the most impoverished and
underdeveloped province of Pakistan. Balochs will tell you, for
example, that although vast amounts of gas are extracted from Sui,
Balochistan, there are many parts of the province without gas until
today.

The Baloch nationalists kept demanding autonomy and an equal share in
the resources. However, they never got it. The Pakistan federal
government distributes resources on the basis of population, and
Balochistan accounts for only four percent of Pakistan’s population.

24 year old Shahzeb is a law student. He was picked up by the
intelligence agencies in March this year. In their traditionally
decorated first floor living room in Balochistan’s capital, Quetta,
Shahzeb’s mother said “We were worried about Shahzeb’s life. My
family and I prayed every day for him.” Shahzeb was taking his
sister-in-law to a neighbouring district in Quetta when he was picked
up.  “They tortured me every day”, said Shahzeb Baloch. “During
interrogation, my hands were tied and I was blindfolded. They asked
me questions about the Baloch liberation movement. They kept accusing
me of being an agent of the Indian intelligence agency RAW and
insisted that I had provided weapons to militants.”
Shahzeb was careful not to share details about his three months’
ordeal in the military detention centre in front of his mother. He
switched to English in her presence. “I don’t want to repeat all
these things in front of her. She starts crying.  They released me on
the condition that I won’t get involved in student politics.”
Both Munir and Shahzeb said that they came across many Baloch
detainees in the military-run secret jails  - Munir under the
military dictatorship of Musharraf, and Shahzeb after the civilian
government had taken over last year. According to the Baloch Women’s
Panel and the Baloch Student Organization (BSO), 4,000 Baloch are
still missing. Pakistani interior minister Rehman Malik said this
week that the government had a list of 1,011 missing people.
Most observers agree that things became worse in Balochistan during
the Musharraf years, after Musharraf sent the army in against the
Baloch tribes. Nawab Akbar Bugti, head of the Bugti clan, a former
chief minister and governor of the province in his eighties, was
forced to hide in a mountain cave and finally killed in an airstrike
by the Pakistan air force.

Suriya Ameeruddin is a senator from the ruling Pakistan People’s
Party in Balochistan. “A few years ago, we used to live in harmony,
in peace. Pashtuns, Baloch, Hazaras and Punjabis - all of us used to
live next to each other but since the day Pervez Musharraf martyred
our Nawab Sahib, the situation has turned violent”, she said.

Relations between the different ethnic groups have become bitter.
Senator Suriya Ameeruddin is not an ethnic Baloch, but a “settler”
in Quetta. But she lives in a Baloch-populated area. “Every day when
my son and daughter- in- law leave for work I am afraid. Boys come on
motorcycles in busy markets and residential areas, kill and vanish.
Not a single ‘target killer’ has been caught so far. No one has
the courage to catch them. It’s the law of the jungle here.”
Quetta looks like a war-zone, with army checkpoints even in the
markets and parks. The city is clearly divided in two parts. One is
the “cantonment” fully controlled by the army and paramilitary
forces; the other area is a stronghold of Baloch separatist groups –
like Balochistan University.
  A 24- year- old former president of the Baloch Student Organisation
(BSO) said, ‘’you feel you are entering a garrison, not a
university. Pakistan’s security agencies have left us no political
way forward. They have radicalised all the liberal forces by
torturing them.’’
According to him, the BSO serves as a nursery for nationalists who
are in hiding or fighting in the mountains. The student leader’s
father was an active member of the established Balochistan National
Party (BNP), which traditionally stood by Pakistan, while demanding
more rights for the Balochs. But he and his brothers advocate a
“free” Balochistan. ‘’We have convinced our father after long
fights and arguments. Today he is a radical like me.’’
Not long ago, the student was a patriotic Pakistani. He had a poster
of a war hero, Captain Karnel Sher Khan as a teenager. “Pakistan
needs to reflect upon what made me hate Pakistan”, he said. “They
make us feel that we are slaves. I can wear western clothes and move
freely in the city but if I’m wearing my baggy Baloch shalwar,
they’ll strip search me.”
The one and a half year old democratic government has finally tabled
the long awaited Balochistan package named “a beginning of
Balochistan rights” in the national assembly this week. Prime
Minister Gilani promised to bring back the missing people to their
families, to re-integrate exiled Baloch leaders into the political
scene and to withdraw the army and paramilitary forces from the
province.
Balochistan will finally enjoy political autonomy like the other
provinces, and economic development, the government promises.
However, all Baloch parties have rejected this package. They say they
were not consulted, and after sixty years they have lost their trust
in Pakistan.
Malik Siraj Akbar, the bureau chief of the English national paper
“Daily Times” in Quetta, said, “although the democratic
government has taken over, the machinery is run by the security
agencies. The chief minister and governor have no role. There are
more than 50 ministers in the government, but they have nothing to
do.”
Mukhtar Chalgiri, the regional director of the Strengthening
Participatory Organization, one of the few NGOs still working in the
province, added:
“Ordinary people are unhappy. Inflation, poverty and a sense of
deprivation leads to all this violence we see in our society today.
Every cabinet member in this government is corrupt. They are selling
jobs.”
Many Baloch parties are boycotting the political process altogether.
Their demands have become more radical over the years.
Dr Abdul Hakeem Lehri, a senior leader of the Baloch Republican Party
said, “we’re not interested in living with the corrupt Pakistani
elite any more. We want freedom.”
The Baloch Republican Party (BRP) is considered the political face of
the underground, separatist Baloch Republican Armay (BRA). Hundreds
of their activists have disappeared. Party chief Brahamdagh Bugti, a
grandson of the slain leader Akbar Bugti, is in hiding. For many
youngsters, the handsome 28- year- old Bramdagh is a kind of Baloch
Che Guevara. Pakistani officials say he is in Afghanistan, and have
accused India of supporting him through its consulates there. But
party leader Lehri rubbished all claims that the separatist movement
is run by a “foreign hand”:
“If Pakistan had any real evidence that India supports us, would
they have spared us? Every Baloch household has a reason to fight
with them. This version is just to satisfy the Pakistani elite.”
 From his forced exile Munir Mengal too rejects the economic package
proposed by the Pakistani government. He pointed out that many Baloch
nationalists are socialists and abhor religious fundamentalism.
“There is no solution with packages, and our problem can’t be
solved with dialogues either. Our ideology is different from
Pakistan’s. We can’t live under an imposed and fake religious
identity. We are secular people.” And he added a question: “Do you
really think these economic packages will satisfy Zarina Marri’s
mother?“

Former school teacher Zarina Marri is still missing, and no official
record exists about what happened to her after she was last seen by
Munir Mengal in Karachi.

_____

[5] A Transnational Platform to Take on the Fundamentalists : Call
and Sign on Statement

(i)

Press Release

For Immediate Release

The Formation of an International Bureau for Laicite* Announced

A wide number of non governmental organizations and individuals from
across Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas have signed a common
public statement affirming the nefarious role of fundamentalist
politics and the need to counter it internationally.

This charter highlights:
   - The flawed ideological bogey of clash of civilizations, the role
of public policies leading to greater inequality, and the impact of
religious fundamentalisms and right wing identity politics in
dividing people locally, nationally and internationally.
  - Fundamentalist movements benefit from - A retreat of the state
from the social domain that leaves the terrain open to the religious-
political outfits to flourish. – Public support from certain groups
on the left, that consider fundamentalists as allies in the name of
fighting imperialism.

In this overall backdrop the signatories propose the formation of an
international initiative called International Bureau for Laicite to
act as a facilitating body to network, support and amplify the
struggles for secularism.

The charter of International Bureau for Laicite has been released in
English, French and Spanish on a day that marks the 104th anniversary
of the legislation separating state and religion in France.

The full text of the charter is available for public consultation and
is open for signatures at the newly created website of International
Bureau for Laicite: www.laicity.info/bli

(* Note: The French term Laicite in the name of our platform was
chosen because the word 'secularism' in English conveys the notion of
equal tolerance of the state vis a vis all religions, rather than the
notion of separation between 'Churches'/religions and the state as
well as the total disinvestment of the state regarding religions,
which is embeded into the French concept of laicite.)

---
[Text of the Charter]

  INTERNATIONAL BUREAU FOR LAICITE*

Considering that:
- The so-called theory of 'clash of civilisations' between a
'Christian West' on the one hand, and a 'Muslim Orient' on the other,
is gaining ground, in total disregard of all people the world over,
who have been fighting in favour of a political model founded on
principles of secularism,

- In the name of defending the 'right to difference', numerous states
are legitimizing differences of rights between citizens depending on
their faith, thereby fueling communalisms,

- With the help of religions, governments try to draw people into
warlike confrontations

- In addition to fighting against existing disparities between men
and women, women have to unceasingly defend their hard won rights,
notably equality in the realm of social and professional rights and
bodily rights,

- That, in many countries, the rise of different fundamentalisms has
come to increase the subordination of women

- Despite a movement towards secularisation and the decline of
religions, globalisation of neoliberal policies (favoured by the
Washington consensus) that emerged in the 80's, stimulated the march
towards privatisation and commoditisation of all human activities,
and exacerbated inward looking communalism (the disengagement of the
state necessitated the recourse to traditional forms of solidarity,
substituing national solidarity with the principle of charity),

- The alliance that a communalized Left does not hesitate to make
with religious organisations, in the name of fighting 'western
imperialism', is damaging, as is the neoliberal disinvestment by the
State from the social sphere  that has allowed religious
organisations to occupy that space

-The current economic crisis has accentuated inequalities and poverty,

- However, there has been a convergence of secularist, feminist and
social struggles, everywhere in the world ;

The organisations and persons  listed below have come together to set
up the International Bureau for Laïcite, based on the present
resolution, in order to promote secularism internationally.

1. We affirm our commitment to secularism. The principle of
secularism, notably the strict separation of State and religion,
guarantees the non interference of religion in the sphere of state
authority; as well as a real independance of religious and faith
based organisations of civil society vis-a-vis the state. Secularism
guarantees to citizens the absolute freedom of conscience: the right
to believe, the right to disbelieve, the right to change faith, as
well as the right to freedom of expression. Consequently, the right
to criticize religions is not to be put into question and it takes
precedence above all moves to institute ' defamation of religions and
their prophets' as a crime.

2. We affirm our commitment to the principle of equality and the
universality of rights. We believe in a republican conception of
citizenship, and we reject all systems which, in the name of
particularisms, segment the body politic, either by privileging one
category of citizens or by excluding it. Therefore we intend to fight
against all forms of discriminations, notably those faced by women
and the minorities.

3. We refuse the globalized predatory and destructive neoliberal
policies which accentuate pauperisation, whose first victims are
women and children;  state disengagement fosters the retreat of
national solidarity in favour of traditional solidarities of
'communal' type. In wake of neoliberalism, we call for the
internationalisation of struggles.

On the 9th of December 2009**, we call on organisations and
individuals who identify with the principles of this statement to
support and sign it, and join us.

To sign up : http://laicity.info/bli/?cat=22

*After consultation, we finally resolve to use the French concept/
word ‘Laicite’ in the name of our platform. The reason for it is
that the word 'secularism' in English conveys the notion of equal
tolerance of the state vis a vis all religions, rather than the
notion of separation between 'Churches'/religions and the state as
well as the total disinvestment of the state regarding religions,
which is embeded into the French concept of laicite. Rare scholars
have of late started to use the neologism ‘Laicity', but we feel
that it is not known to activists and to public at large.
** On the 9th of December 1905, France voted the Law of Separation of
Churches and State

The founders of the BLI :
Coalition for a Secular State, Serbia
Collectif citoyen pour l'égalité et la laïcité (CCIEL), Montréal
Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain
Development Alternatives with Women for A New Era (DAWN),
international network
Equal Rights Now – Organisation against Women’s Discrimination in
Iran
Iran Solidarity
Iranian Secular Society
MAREA, feminist journal, Genova, Italy
Parti pour la Laïcité et la Démocratie (ex MDSL), Algérie
Protagoras, Croatia
One Law for All Campaign against Sharia Law in Britain
Organization for Women’s Liberation (OWL), Iran
Secularism Is A Women's Issue (SIAWI), international network
Union des Familles Laïques (UFAL), France
Women's Initiative for Citizenship and Universal Rights (WICUR)
international network
Women in Black - Belgrade (WIB), Serbia
Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML), international network

Zarizana Abul Aziz, lawyer, human rights activist, Malaysia
Samia Allalou, journaliste, Algérie/France
Hakim Arabdiou, militant laïque, Algérie/France
Soheib Bencheikh, théologien, spécialiste des religions et de la
laicité, ancien mufti de Marseille, France
Djemila Benhabib, auteure de Ma vie à contre-Coran, récipiendaire du
Prix des écrivains francophones d'Amérique et finaliste pour le prix
du gouverneur général 2009, Québec
Codou Bop, journaliste, Dakar, Sénégal
Caroline Brancher, co-responsable du secteur féminisme et laïcité
de l'UFAL, France
Ariane Brunet, co-fondatrice de Urgent Action Fund, Montréal,Québec
Sonia Correa, co-coordinator of Sexuality Policy Watch and Research
Associate at ABIA (Brazilian Interdisciplinary Association for AIDS
(Brazil)), Rio De Janeiro, Brazil.
Yvonne Deutsch, feminist peace activist, Jerusalem
Lalia Ducos, présidente de WICUR, Algérie/France
Aldo Facio, Feminist Human Rights Activist and Lawyer, Costa Rica
Gigi Franscisco, coordinator of the DAWN international network,
Manila, The Philippines
Pierre Galand, président du Centre d'action laïque (CAL), Belgique
Nadia Geerts, initiatrice du R.A.P.P.E.L. (www.le-rappel.be/FR)
Laura Guidetti, President and co-founder of MAREA, Genova, Italy
Marieme Helie Lucas, Fondatrice du WLUML et coordinatrice de SIAWI,
Algérie/France
Hameeda Hossein, co-chair of South Asians for Human Rights and
Chairperson of Ain o Salish Kendra, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Ayesha Imam, Sociologist, human rights activists, Nigeria
Harsh Kapoor, founder of South Asia Citizens Web (sacw.net), India/
France
Sultana Kamal, lawyer and human rights activist, Executive Director
of Ain O'Salish Kendra, former Advisor to the Caretaker Government of
Bangladesh, Dhaka, Bangladesh,
Cherifa Kheddar, présidente de l'association " Djazairouna" des
Familles Victimes du Terrorisme Islamiste, Algérie
Catherine Kintzler, philosophe de la laïcité, Paris, France
Monica Lanfranco, journalist, co-founder of MAREA, Genova, Italy
Azar Majedi, Présidente de l’OWL, Iran/U.K
Maryam Namazie, Campaigner, Iran/U.K
Fariborz Pooya, Iranian Secular Society, Iran/U.K
Venita Popovic, Zenica, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Mary Jane Real, lawyer and human rights activist, Manilla, The
Philippines
Rhoda Reddock, feminist scholar, Trinidad and Tobago
Henri Pena Ruiz, philosophe de la laïcité, France
Nina Sankari, Présidente de l’Initiative Féministe Européenne
(IFE), Pologne
Aisha Shaheed, historian and women’s rights activist, Canada/
Pakistan/UK
Mohamed Sifaoui, journaliste, Algérie/France
Fatou Sow, sociologue au CNRS, Dakar, Sénégal
Gila Svirsky, Women In Black, Jerusalem
Lino Veljak, Professor of philosophy, University of Zagreb, founder
of PROTAGORAS, Croatia
Vivienne Wee, anthropologist and women’s rights advocate, Singapore
and Hong Kong, China
Stasa Zajovic, founder of WIB-Belgrade, coordinator of the Coalition
for a Secular State, Serbia

_____

[6] India: Resources For Secular Activists on >
communalism.blogspot.com / sacw.net

Under the rubble (Harsh Mander)
http://tt.ly/1d
The dialects of Ayodhya and Manmohan Singh (Jawed Naqvi)
http://tt.ly/19
Liberhan Commission; Painful wait for Justice (Ram Puniyani)
http://tt.ly/1a
Incomplete Catharsis (Mahesh Rangarajan)
http://tt.ly/17
Little men re-enact Ayodhya chaos inside Parliament (Siddharth
Varadarajan)
http://tt.ly/18
Concerned Citizens of Gujarat for Prosecution of architect of
demolition of Babri Mosque
http://www.sacw.net/article1270.html
http://tt.ly/1c
British Indian Muslims urge British Government to declare the 68
terrorists persona non grata
http://tt.ly/1b

_____

[7]  Book Reviews:

(i)

American Ethnologist, Volume 36 Issue 4 (November 2009)

Book Reviews
Economy, Culture, and Civil War in Sri Lanka edited by Deborah
Winslow and Michael D. Woost

Alex Argenti-Pillen (University College London)

Economy, Culture, and Civil War in Sri Lanka . Deborah Winslow and
Michael D. Woost , eds . : Indiana University Press , 2004 . xiv +
242 pp., map, tables, references, index .

This is an exceptional collection of chapters, which makes a major
contribution to the anthropology of war and conflict. The volume
emerged from a multidisciplinary workshop held at the New England
Center, University of New Hampshire in 2000 where the links between
developments in the post-1977 Sri Lankan economy and the interethnic
conflict were explored. The debate is articulated around Newton
Gunasinghe's seminal article "The Open Economy and Its Impact on
Ethnic Relations in Sri Lanka" (1984, reprinted in the reviewed
text). Gunasinghe's piece, published in the aftermath of the anti-
Tamil riots of 1983, maps the complex connections between open
economic policies and the increase in interethnic violence. Multiple
perspectives on the economy are the entry point for this study, which
the editors define as a postethnicity argument. The originality of
this study lies in its lack of dependence on discourses about
ethnicity and nationalism, and its focus on the new socioeconomic
formation that developed under conditions of liberalization and
chronic civil war.

Winslow and Woost clearly mark this move toward an economic analysis
of Sri Lanka's civil war as differing from the stereotypical focus on
conflict entrepreneurs and greed as a sustaining principle of civil
war. In fact they denounce the policy recommendations of Paul Collier
—director of the Development Research Group at the World Bank—as
"dangerous, possibly leading to more conflict rather than less" (p.
16). Such recommendations fail to take political grievances or human
rights into account and, instead, focus on economic liberalization
and growth to reduce poverty and placate greedy rebels without a
cause. Contributors to this volume provide a nuanced antidote to such
discourses, which circulate within a World Bank and IMF keen to
reintegrate war-ravaged economies into the global market.

What is most striking about this volume is its predictive value, a
rare commodity within social science research. Contributors define
the new socioeconomic formation of violence that emerged during three
decades of civil war in terms of people's everyday survival
strategies. The debate on economics and interethnic warfare thereby
becomes triangulated and developed as a tension between adaptation to
open economic policies, wartime economic survival strategies, and
participation in civil warfare itself. Violence continues to emerge
at this articulation between a further developing open economy and a
war economy on the ground. The chilling predictive quality of this
work is based on a comparison of the economic direction taken since
1977 and its role in fuelling ethnic violence, on the one hand, and
current planning documents by the government of Sri Lanka and the
World Bank (the Country Assistance Strategy), on the other. As
liberalization and privatization played a crucial role in the
articulation of spaces of death and atrocity in Sri Lanka, a social
formation of No War–No Peace emerged (a term the editors borrow from
Dr. Paikiasothy Saravanamuttu). However, the aid packages used to
lubricate current peace negotiations reveal striking similarities
precisely with the post-1977 economic policies linked to the
emergence of ethnic warfare in Sri Lanka. The editors conclude: "A
peace pact and concomitant influx of aid may make the formations of
violence invisible but not inactive" (p. 202). They thereby challenge
a key cornerstone of World Bank and IMF views on the role of
development and opening up markets in war-torn societies: "Peace is
not a matter of promoting forgiveness or reconciliation and then
making it possible to get on with economic growth" (p. 204).

Contributors collaborated to highlight that economic growth and the
format in which it is prescribed by global institutions was not only
a root cause of interethnic war in Sri Lanka but also continues to
fuel violence in its current format of postwar international
development initiatives. Moreover the authors make the reader engage
in a serious consideration of the fact that the situation of No War–
No Peace might have no end in sight. Such work challenges the current
optimism that many social scientists project into texts about
resistance, experiences of violence, suffering and coping,
reconciliation, and conflict resolution. Such a critical stance is
made possible on the basis of this volume's exceptional
multidisciplinary grounding: a macroview of the relationship between
policy and conflict (by political scientists John M. Richardson and
Amita Shastri), a consideration of the class and ethnicity based
experience of open economic policies (by sociologists Newton
Gunasinghe and Siri T. Hettige), and finally an extremely engaging
view from below (by anthropologists Francesca Bremner, Michele R.
Gamburd and Caitrin Lynch).

o o o

(ii) A Grand Daughter's Tribute (Rita Manchanda)

Islam, Women and Violence in Kashmir by Nyla Ali Khan Tulika Books, 2009
http://www.epw.in/epw/uploads/articles/14211.pdf

_____

[8] Announcements:

(1)  “Dekh Tamasha chalta Ban”

CELEBRATING 25 YEARS OF AJOKA
Ajoka Theatre In collaboration with PNCA and Mehergarh invites you to
“Dekh Tamasha Chalta ban”
Written By: Shahid Nadeem
Directed by: Madeeha Gauhar
On the occasion of Human Rights Day 10th December, 2009 at 6:00pm
VENUE: National Art Gallery PNCA Auditorium, Islamabad

The theme of this play is persecution of religious minorities in
Pakistan, a problem which unfortunately is shared by many countries
in South Asia and has been become a major political question because
of the rise of religious fundamentalism in the region. In a bold and
direct manner, the play exposes the rational for such persecution and
challenges the audience, who are silent spectators of this long-
running show. The play is very scathing about the government
connivance, & arguments given by the religious establishment to
deprive religious minorities. In fact it touches a very raw nerve in
today’s Pakistan, where armed violence has become the order of the
day among religious fanatics. It refers to the discriminatory
blasphemy laws and sectarian violence.
  For Further Information
Ajoka: 042-36682443, 36686634 / PNCA: 051-9205273-4, 9205268 /
Mehergarh:  051-2252203
Krishna
Mehargarh Hyderabad

o o o

(ii)

Seminar on India-Pakistan Relations & distribution of prizes &
certificates to the participants of an essay competition India-
Pakistan Joint Statement & Way Forward

  Speakers:
Karamat Ali (tradeunionist & peace activist, Karachi)
Prof. Pushpa Bhave
Chandra Krishnamurthy, VC, University of Mumbai to Chair.
Mrudul Nile, director of Students Welfare & Foreign Students Advisor

  Date & Time:
  Thursday, 10th December
  2009 / 3.00 pm

Venue:
  Press Club, Mumbai

Do attend and spread word.

o o o

(iii)    AN APPEAL TO THE MEDIA FRATERNITY AND SUPPORTERS OF THE
FREEDOM OF THE PRESS IN INDIA
Come and join March to Parliament on 14 December 2009. Assemble at
UNI at 10 AM.

December 5, 2009
Dear colleagues and comrades,

The UNI Workers Union is organising a March to Parliament on Monday,
December 14, 2009 to highlight the plight of 800-odd employees of
United News of India, the news agency which has just survived a
illegal and obnoxious take-over bid of a corporate giant.

The deal would have changed the ownership structure and neutral
character of the news agency, hitherto a co-operative of newspapers,
and turned it into a private shop.

Following the Company Law Board’s verdict against the conspiratorial
attempt of handing the UNI over to the media baron, the sinister
design got defeated. However, this premiere news agency’s problems
continue to persist. For last two years, the workers of UNI are
reeling under a salary crisis. For last three years, they have not
been paid their fringe benefits including bonus, LTA, Casual Leave
Encashment, etc and they have yet to get Interim Awards of Justice
Kurup Wage Boards duly notified by the Central Government way back on
January 24, 2008.  Be it the question of human resource crisis or the
financial needs for agency’s expansion and modernisation,
appropriate government intervention is essential. We are convinced
that if remedial steps are not taken immediately, the news agency may
fall into an abyss beyond retrieval.

The economic recession has further worsened the situation for the
UNI. Although the Union government has been generous in providing
bailout packages to profit making private media establishments by
increasing the DAVP rates by 25 percent, its not coming forward to
rescue the finance starved news agency, running on no profit no loss
basis and catering to small and medium newspapers. We demand a relief
package from the Govt. to cope up section 25 company’s current crisis.

Dear comrades, The UNI has sought from the government a soft loan of
Rs 30 crore which could prove pivotal for its survival and there is a
precedence too. There is a precidence too. In 1992, the union
government had extended soft loan of Rs 10 crore to the other news
agency, Press Trust of India (PTI), which was then facing a financial
crisis. We have also been requesting the national leadership to
intervene in the matter of revision of Prasar Bharti’s subscription
rates for both the news agencies. It has not been revised for more
than last five years.

We would appreciate your participation as well as those of your
members in the march as the current crisis strikes at the very roots
of a free press and democratic traditions of the country as the
existance of UNI is paramount for the multiplicity of sources of news
to small and medium newspapers. Sir, the other news agency—Press
Trust of India (PTI) was there, when UPI collapsed in 1958 due to
severe financial crunch and anticepating a danger of monopolistic
behaviour, our first Prime Minister thought it fit to create this
second one for the nascent nation. The danger is real even now.
Moreover, as India integrates itself with the global community, a
free, independent and robust second news agency alone can ensure
competition in the flow of news as well as help preserve the
sovereignty of the nation and focus on the interest of all stake
holders in a democracy.

Sir, the UNI workers Union would like you to come and join our
endeavour to save the existance of the agency, which would have
definitely succumbed to the corporate onslaught, had you all not
joined the first phase of our agitation to save its independence and
autonomy. The marchers would assemble at lawns of UNI (9, Rafi Marg,
New Delhi-110001) at 1000 AM and proceed towards Parliament House at
1200 hrs. Several prominent media personalities have already extended
their support to our struggle.

Regards,
(Rajesh Kumar)
General Secretary

o o o

(iv) Announcement of Health and Human Rights Course 2010

Centre for Enquiry into Health and Allied Themes (CEHAT) in
collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences is organizing an
intensive course on Health and Human Rights exploring linkages
between health and human rights to build skills in rights based
monitoring and use of international and national instruments,
designed for health and human rights activists.
  Attached herewith is the detailed prospectus and application form
for your perusal. The course will be from 18th January to 27th
January 2010 at FIAMC Bio-Medical Ethics Centre, St’ Pius College,
Aarey Road, Goregaon East, Mumbai -400063.

We would request you to send in your duly filled application forms
with course fee by cheques (for Mumbai participants) and demand
drafts (for outstation participants) in favour of ANUSANDHAN TRUST -
CEHAT.

For more details visit http://www.cehat.org/go/HhrCourse09/Home

Last date for receiving application is 23rd December 2009.

Please send your application form on cehatcourse at cehat.org

South Asia Citizens Wire
Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. An offshoot of South Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/