SACW | Nov. 6-10, 2007 / People Resist Emergency in Pakistan / Sinhala Nationalism / Nepal's Peace Industry / Shameful silence after the Telehlka sting on gujarat

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Nov 9 20:03:19 CST 2007

South Asia Citizens Wire | November 6-10, 2007 |
Dispatch No. 2468 - Year 10 running

[1] Pakistan under the State of Emergency of Nov 2007:
       (i) The Real Musharraf (Asma Jahangir)
       (ii) Rule of Force vs. Rule of Law in Pakistan (Zia Mian and A.H. Nayyar)
      (iii) Pakistan:  Hard on Civil Society, Soft on Extremists (Beena Sarwar)
      (iv) PFUJ observe Black Day
      (v)  [Military Tribunals to try civilians ].
. .Doubtful Utility (Editorial, The Post)
[2] Sri Lanka: Sinhala Nationalism and the
Elusive Southern Consensus (ICG report)
[3] Nepal: Donor amnesia - Peacebuilding is a
spectator sport in Aidland (Tobias Denskus)
[4] Indian Adminstered Kashmir:
     (i) J&K's worst-kept secret: 60,000 families
on a security blacklist (Muzamil Jaleel)
    (ii) Sixty Years Of Kashmir's Accession: The
Less Known Realities (Balraj Puri)
[5] India: Tehelka expose and after; fascism and 'normality' (Sadanand Menon)
   - Does Anything Matter? (Tarun Tejpal)
   - Time To Speak Up (Mahesh Peri)
   - A pogrom does not lessen in brutality if it
is hidden from the nation (Kuldip Nayar)
   -  Does this society have the nerve to confront
the beast exposed by the Tehelka expose ?
(Prashant Bhushan)
   - The Truth of Gujarat Carnage (Ram Puniyani)
   - Courting injustice (Priya Pillai)
   - In India we do wonderful omissions of inquiry (Pamela Philipose)
[6] USA / India: Should we be proud of Bobby Jindal? (Shashi Tharoor)
[7] Announcement:
Upcoming Protest demo against the imposition of
emergency/martial law in Pakistan (Boston 10
November 2007)

______

[1]

Citizens Challenge Emergency Rule in Pakistan
A record on dissenting views and public action,
peoples initiatives from Nov. 3, 2007 on.
http://emergency2007.blogspot.com/

o o o

THE REAL MUSHARRAF

by Asma Jahangir
Washington Post, November 9, 2007; Page A21

LAHORE, Pakistan -- It was close to midnight last
Saturday when Gen. Pervez Musharraf finally
appeared on state-run television. That's when
police vans surrounded my house. I was warned not
to leave, and hours later I learned I would be
detained for 90 days.

At least I have the luxury of staying at home,
though I cannot see anyone. But I can only watch,
helpless, as this horror unfolds.

Police watch as lawyers demonstrate against
President Pervez Musharraf in Islamabad
yesterday. (By Wally Santana -- Asssociated Press)

The Musharraf government has declared martial law
to settle scores with lawyers and judges.
Hundreds of innocent Pakistanis have been rounded
up. Human rights activists, including women and
senior citizens, have been beaten by police.
Judges have been arrested and lawyers battered in
their offices and the streets.

These citizens are our true assets: young,
progressive and full of spirit. Many of them were
trained to uphold the rule of law. They are being
brutalized for seeking justice.

Musharraf justified his draconian measures by
saying he needed to be able to use all his might
to fight the terrorists infecting our country.
Yet the day after he declared an emergency, the
Dawn newspaper reported that scores of terrorists
were released by the government. While tyranny
was being unleashed on peaceful citizens, the
notorious militant Fazalullah (also known as
Maulana Radio) had seized the beautiful town of
Madyan, according to the Daily Times, and hoisted
his "Islamic" flag over buildings while the
security forces surrendered.

Musharraf has implied that militancy increased in
Pakistan because of judicial interference in
governance. But until this past March, the
judiciary had yielded to all executive demands.
Five years ago, the general dismissed the
then-chief justice and his colleagues, charging
that they were obstructing his process of
democratization. What is democratic about a
judiciary that's not independent?

In recent days police have raided the home of the
president of the Supreme Court Bar Association --
his wife has gone into hiding -- and the law
chambers of two former presidents of the bar.
Their clerks have been harassed. Military
intelligence officers are interrogating leading
attorneys. Meanwhile, unknown lawyers are being
elevated to the bench.

Since Saturday, police officers have barged into
my house twice after receiving (false) warnings
that I had escaped. On seeing me, they sheepishly
admitted they were misled.
ad_icon

I have tried to make them understand the
difference between people such as myself and
terrorists. "If I did run away, how far would I
go?" I asked them. "In any event, I am not likely
to blow myself up around the corner." One police
officer said that he agreed but that his job was
at greater risk if I got away than if a terrorist
escaped the law. Terrorists, he pointed out,
outnumber rights activists in our country.

The officer argued that lawyers and judges hamper
law enforcement. "How can we bring law and order
if we cannot torture criminals? We must be given
a free hand to deal with terrorists, and the
chief justice has no business to ask us to
produce them in courts. We are itching to lay our
hands on all those judges who humiliated us for
carrying out our duties," he told me. When I
asked how he knew who the terrorists were, he
insisted that the intelligence was infallible.

Yet he didn't know I hadn't escaped from my house.

The international community is alarmed at
Musharraf's actions, but Pakistanis expected
this. The Bush administration had built up the
general as moderate and benign, but the true face
of this regime has been exposed.

A balanced picture of Pakistan had begun to
emerge in recent weeks. Thousands turned out to
greet Benazir Bhutto upon her return last month;
Pakistanis were progressive-minded enough to
elect a female political leader years ago.
Hundreds of progressive-minded lawyers have
rallied for democratic values. I welcome Bhutto's
call for the Pakistan People's Party to join the
demonstrations.

But Pakistan is threatened by Islamist militants,
and our civil society suffers the worst of this
creeping Talibanization. Woefully, the Musharraf
regime is neither inclined to reverse this trend
nor capable of doing so. No one has exact
solutions, but there is virtual unanimity that
Pakistan's political leadership must take charge
and that the military must cooperate with an
elected civilian government.

Musharraf's promises to hold elections by Feb. 15
or to resign from the army are a red herring. He
has pledged before to give up his uniform and
failed to follow through. Any election held under
these circumstances will not be free and will
only put the crisis on hold. Furthermore,
militarization will kill the spirit of the
progressive forces while boosting the terrorists'
morale.

A transition to democracy is crucial, but unless
freedom of the press and the judiciary's
independence are restored, any changes will
remain toothless. It will be difficult to put
Pakistan on the path to democracy, but we must
begin now, before it is too late.

Asma Jahangir, a Pakistani lawyer under house
arrest in Lahore, chairs the Human Rights
Commission of Pakistan. She is a member of the
international board of the Open Society Institute.

o o o

(i)

RULE OF FORCE VS. RULE OF LAW IN PAKISTAN

by Zia Mian and A.H. Nayyar | November 8, 2007

Foreign Policy In Focus
www.fpif.org

In a desperate bid to stay in power, General
Pervez Musharraf has staged a coup against the
rule of law in Pakistan. His declaration of
martial law, suspension of the constitution and
basic rights was aimed at overthrowing Pakistan's
Supreme Court, which was expected to rule next
week that Musharraf could not continue as both
president and chief of the army.

Faced with choice of being president and being
bound by the constitution or chief of the army
and ruling by diktat, Musharraf chose khaki and
force. His coup announcement is titled
"Proclamation of Emergency declared by Chief of
the Army Staff General Pervez Musharraf" and ends
"I hereby order and proclaim that the
Constitution of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan
shall remain in abeyance."

Musharraf's proclamation is a litany of
complaints about the courts. The Supreme Court
was the only branch of government Musharraf and
the army did not control. In the eight years
since his October 1999 seizure of power,
Musharraf has rigged parliamentary elections to
give himself a majority, hand-picked his prime
minister, and replaced many senior generals. His
control, and through him that of the army
leadership, over government and the state was
nearly complete. But none of this was enough to
give him either the unchecked power or the
legitimacy that he wanted.
Supreme Court

Musharraf complained in particular that
Pakistan's courts, and especially the Supreme
Court, were subverting the administration. His
proclamation claims that the Court's "constant
interference in executive functions, including
but not limited to the control of terrorist
activity, economic policy, price controls,
downsizing of corporations and urban planning,
has weakened the writ of the government." It
laments "the humiliating treatment meted to
government officials by some members of the
judiciary on a routine basis during court
proceedings."

A particular concern was the Supreme Court taking
up the cases of the hundreds of people picked up
in recent years by law enforcement agencies
without warrants and held in custody, without
charge or trial. The demands for due process and
habeas corpus proved fruitless as officials
simply lied to the courts about the people they
were holding.

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan was
finally able to convince the Supreme Court to
act. The Court began to summon senior officials
and demanded the government produce the detained
people in court. It threatened senior law
enforcement officials with contempt of court and
jail if they did not comply and was considering
calling the chiefs of the armed forces to answer
to the court. The system cracked and the
disappeared started appearing.

Iftikhar Chaudhry, the chief justice of
Pakistan's Supreme Court, emerged as a key figure
in confronting the arbitrary exercise of power by
the government. General Musharraf responded
earlier this year by firing him, triggering a
national movement led by lawyers for the
justice's restoration. It attracted a lot of
public support, reflecting the widespread
disenchantment with the eight years of
Musharraf's rule. Across the country, large
crowds lined the roads and assembled to see and
hear the chief justice. The other judges of the
Supreme Court declared that the chief justice
must be reinstated and Musharraf had to back down.

The Court has returned to the cases of illegal
detention. It also sentenced seven senior
officials to suspended jail terms for manhandling
the chief justice during the campaign for his
reinstatement.
Islamic Militancy

General Musharraf has also claimed that the
courts are hampering his efforts to stem the
Islamic militancy in the tribal areas, the
creeping talibanization of Pakistan's
northwestern province, and the suicide bombing
that have erupted across major cities over the
past few years. But the Courts have only insisted
on the rule of law. Musharraf's failure to
effectively counter the militancy springs from
more other causes.

The most important problem has been the military
regime itself and its policies towards the
Islamic political parties and militants. In need
of some kind of political cover after seizing
power in 1999, Musharraf and his generals cobbled
together an alliance of opportunistic
politicians, defectors from other parties and the
Islamist political parties. This included the
most radical and violent militant groups, which
the army, led by Musharraf, had organized and
used in the war against India in the Kargil
region of Kashmir in the spring of 1999. This
military-mullah alliance in Pakistan stretches
back over 30 years, and was central in the
U.S.-backed jihad against the Soviet Union in
Afghanistan of the 1980s and the Kashmir
insurgency of the 1990s.

When not offering direct support, the Musharraf
regime has preferred neglect and appeasement of
Islamist political parties and militants. Islamic
laws are allowed to stay on the books. Militant
groups are grudgingly banned in public and
privately allowed to operate. Whether is in the
tribal areas of Waziristan or the militant
take-over of the Red Mosque in the heart of
Islamabad, Musharraf and his generals preferred
to ignore it, and then make concessions to the
militants in the vain hope that the problem would
go away.
Second Coup

The government has responded to the militancy
only when domestic and international demands do
something became overwhelming. But instead of a
legal, politically measured, and thought-out
response that is part of a long-term policy to
counter the militancy, Musharraf and his generals
have responded time and again with a spasm. They
unleash a dramatic show of force including
artillery, helicopter gun ships and air strikes,
which inevitably result in large numbers of
civilian deaths and injuries, inflame public
opinion, and stoke the militancy.

At the heart of Musharraf's second coup, and what
has determined its timing and character, is not
an activist court, illegal detentions or the
militancy. The Court had begun to hear challenges
to Musharraf's role as both chief of army Staff
and president of the republic. Pakistan's
constitution explicitly forbids holding both
positions. A showdown was imminent. It has been
claimed that a Supreme Court judge told the
government that the court was set to rule against
Musharraf. Musharraf ended this threat by
removing the chief justice and most of the rest
of the Supreme Court. Before they were bundled
out of the Supreme Court building, seven of the
justices, including the chief justice, issued an
order declaring Musharraf's proclamation of
emergency to be unconstitutional and called on
government officials and the armed forces to
refuse to obey it. In a message to the country's
lawyers, the chief justice called for opposition.

The target of the coup is also obvious from the
list of those who have been the first to be
detained in the police raids: leaders of the
Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, prominent
lawyers, and pro-democracy activists. The goal is
clearly to prevent a movement for democracy and
rule of law that could confront General Musharraf
and the larger structure of army rule in Pakistan.
Sharif and Bhutto

Protests have started across the country, led by
lawyers and civil society groups. They have been
met with tear gas and brute force. Thousands are
reported to have been arrested. It is likely to
be a determined campaign, building on the
experience of the mobilization earlier this year.
But Pakistan's civil society, while heroic, is
fragile. It is poorly equipped for a long and
difficult struggle against a military regime.
Central to any prospect of success will be
Pakistan's major political parties, Benazir
Bhutto's Pakistan Peoples Party and Nawaz
Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League.

But both the Peoples Party and the Muslim League
are led from the top-down. They are populist
vehicles for their leaders, both of whom are
former prime ministers, rather than well-rooted
democratic political parties with resilient local
structures. Further, the leaders of both parties
are deeply compromised. With U.S. and British
support, Bhutto recently made a deal with General
Musharraf to drop all corruption charges against
her and enable her return from exile to join a
Musharraf-led government. She has summoned her
party activists to the barricades, but she may be
willing to negotiate terms with the General on
power sharing.

Sharif was overthrown by Musharraf in his 1999
coup and agreed to go into exile in Saudi Arabia.
His party will willingly join the fray but many
in his party abandoned ship to join the rag-tag
group of politicians assembled by General
Musharraf as a fig leaf for his rule. Sharif also
tried to return from exile but was bundled into a
plane and sent back, despite a clear Supreme
Court ruling that Sharif had the right to return
to Pakistan. There were no major protests.

With the government at odds with the people, the
police being tasked to crush pro-democracy
activists, and chaos in the streets, the Islamic
militants may try and take advantage of the
unrest. They have already spread their influence
far beyond the tribal and border areas and now
control three major towns in the Swat valley, a
few hours drive from Islamabad. Government forces
simply surrendered and handed over their weapons.
Pakistani flags have been replaced by jihadi
banners on public buildings. Across the country,
there have been attacks on soldiers and police.
The bombing that killed over 100 people in a
Karachi rally welcoming Bhutto may be a sign of
things to come.
Where's Washington?

Washington was alerted to the coup in advance.
Admiral William Fallon, the head of U.S. forces
in the Middle East met General Musharraf in
Islamabad the day before the coup and is reported
to have warned Musharraf about declaring an
emergency. According to The New York Times,
administration officials said "General Musharraf
had been offering private assurances that any
emergency declaration would be short-lived."

The Bush administration's response has been
predictable thus far. General Musharraf's aides
told the Times that in the crucial first few days
after the coup there had been no phone calls from
President George W. Bush or other leading U.S.
officials demanding an immediate end to the
martial law. The newspaper quotes Pakistan's
minister of state for information as saying the
United States "would rather have a stable
Pakistan - albeit with some restrictive norms -
than have more democracy." In short, Islamabad
expected, rightly it turns out, that Washington
would wring its hands, offer platitudes about
restoring democracy, perhaps a token slap on the
wrist, and keep on supporting General Musharraf.
When President Bush did call, he told General
Musharraf that "you ought to have elections soon."

Washington has invested heavily in General
Musharraf and will not want to write this off.
Since September 11, 2001, the United States has
given enormous political and diplomatic support
and over $10 billion to Pakistan to buy General
Musharraf's support for its "war on terror." It
is a doomed policy.

The United States has supported all of Pakistan
military dictators, politically and with guns and
money, starting as long ago as 1958. In the 50
years since then, it has failed to learn that
supporting Pakistan's generals and the army they
command does little for Pakistan's people. Under
American tutelage, the army has grown in size and
developed a fierce appetite for high-tech
expensive weapons, which now include nuclear
weapons and ballistic missiles, and a habit of
seizing power while people continue to struggle
with grinding poverty and failing institutions.
It is no wonder that the United States is deeply
unpopular in Pakistan. A 2007 poll found that
only 15% of Pakistanis had a favorable attitude
towards the United States. This hostility toward
the United States will only worsen as Pakistanis
see the United States set aside democracy and the
rule of law in favor of a general and his army.

To get out of this crisis, the international
community must demand that General Musharraf
immediately end his emergency, restore the
constitution and Supreme Court, and fulfill his
commitment to step down as chief of army staff.
Having lost what little trust was vested in him
by the country, Musharraf should also stand down
as president. An interim administration could
hold elections and let Pakistanis choose lawful
leaders.

No one expects elections and a shift to civilian
rule to be a panacea. And though Pakistanis have
had bitter experiences with democracy, they still
prefer it to the army. Elections can mark the
start of the long and difficult task of building
democratic institutions and creating a system of
accountability and trust between government and
people, state and society. This can bring
Pakistanis some hope for the future, and foster
confidence that democracy and the rule of law can
deliver the justice that has so long been denied
to them.

Zia Mian, a Foreign Policy In Focus
(www.fpif.org) columnist, directs the Project on
Peace and Security in South Asia at Princeton
University's Program on Science and Global
Security. A.H. Nayyar is the Executive Director
of Developments in Literacy, a non-profit group
supporting education for the poor in Pakistan.

o o o

IPS, November 5, 2007

PAKISTAN:  HARD ON CIVIL SOCIETY, SOFT ON EXTREMISTS

by Beena Sarwar

Marchers rally in front of the Pakistani High
Commission in west London to protest the state of
emergency.

KARACHI, Nov 5 (IPS) - Pakistani President Gen.
Pervez Musharraf appears to be following a
strategy of being hard on lawyers and the
judiciary, and soft on Islamist extremists -- the
two groups he blamed for imposing emergency rule
in the country on Saturday.

On Monday, police beat up lawyers and arrested
scores of them gathered outside the High Court of
Karachi. Another 200 lawyers were arrested at the
High Court in the eastern city of Lahore. In both
cities, police entered the High Court buildings
to arrest lawyers. The lawyers in Lahore were
also at the receiving end of a heavy baton charge.

In Islamabad, the chief justice of the Supreme
Court, Iftikhar Chaudhry, as well as several
senior judges who were detained on Saturday for
refusing to sign the Provisional Constitution
Order (PCO) a step normally taken prior to
imposing martial law, were being held at their
homes.

Those arrested include the president of the
Supreme Court Bar Association (SCBA) Aitzaz
Ahsan. He and two former SCBA presidents, Munir
A. Malik and Tariq Mahmood, have been ordered
imprisoned for one month each under the
preventive detention laws.

The president of the Lahore High Court bar
association, Ahsan Bhoon, and former bar leader
Ali Ahmed Kurd are also under arrest. Other
presidents of various bar associations and
activists like the secretary-general of the
Labour Party Pakistan, Farooq Tariq, are in
hiding.

Civil rights activists question Musharraf's claim
that he imposed a state of emergency because of
the crisis caused by militancy and a hostile
judiciary. The text of the Provisional
Constitution Order (PCO) declaring the emergency
focuses more on "judicial activism" that
Musharraf said had negatively impacted the
"morale" of the administration and the law
enforcement agencies.

In a speech late Saturday night, Musharraf
announced that the national and provincial
assemblies would continue to function, and the
provincial governors and chief ministers would
continue to hold office. The only change appears
to be with the judiciary.

"If the Constitution is in abeyance, the
parliament should also be suspended," former
Supreme Court judge Wajihuddin Ahmad, the
lawyers' candidate who stood against Musharraf in
the recent presidential elections, told IPS.

The government is swearing in new judges to fill
the vacuum left by the dismissed judges. However,
an unprecedented number of judges of the Supreme
Court and four High Courts have not taken oath
under the PCO.

"There will be a crisis," said Ahmad, talking to
IPS at his Karachi residence on Sunday. "Where
will they get judges to fill all these positions?"

The former judge, who was among the six judges to
refuse to take oath under the PCO imposed by
Musharraf, after he initially took over power in
1999, predicted that there will be "a lot of
defiance particularly among the younger lawyers.
They are unstoppable."

The Musharraf government, however, is doing its
best to stop them. About 200 lawyers are believed
to have been arrested in Lahore on Monday, and
another hundred or so in Karachi.

Leading lawyer, U.N. special rapporteur, and
chairperson of the independent Human Rights
Commission of Pakistan Asma Jahangir, under house
arrest at her Lahore residence since Saturday,
termed it ironic that the president, who she said
"has lost his marbles", had to clamp down on the
press and the judiciary to curb terrorism.

"Those he has arrested are progressive,
secular-minded people while the terrorists are
offered negotiations and ceasefires," she added.

The government on Sunday freed 25 militants in
exchange for the release of 213 army personnel
held hostage by Taliban in South Waziristan on
Pakistan's northwest border for more than two
months.

Some 70 activists, arrested in a police raid on
HRCP's Lahore office on Sunday where a meeting
was being held to discuss the emergency, were
held in a police lockup as their families, who
were not allowed to meet them, held vigil outside.

The arrests were made under the MPO 1960
(maintenance of public order act) although the
meeting was being held indoors at a private venue
and posed no threat to public order. Police had
no written orders and claimed the right to detain
those arrested for 30 days without charge and
without bail.

At 3.30 am, they were sent to nearby houses that
had been declared as sub-jails before being
transported to the Kot Lakhpat jail on Monday
morning. Prominent journalist and director of the
HRCP, I.A. Rehman, and the body's secretary
general, Iqbal Haider, were also transported to
the prison. Later on Monday, some of those
arrested were again transferred to the sub-jails.

In a statement released from her residence on
Sunday, Jahangir asked friends of Pakistan "to
urge the U.S. administration to stop all support
for the instable dictator, as his lust for power
is bringing the country close to a worse form of
civil strife. It is now time for the
international community to insist on preventive
measures, otherwise cleaning up the mess may take
decades. There are already several hundred
disappeared persons and the space for civil
society has hopelessly shrunk."

''Musharraf,'' Jahangir said, "must be taken out
of the equation and a government of national
reconciliation put in place, backed by the
military. Short of this there are no realistic
solutions, although there are no guarantees that
this may work." The international community,
including the United States, has condemned the
state of emergency. Washington has said it will
review financial aid to Pakistan and asked
Pakistan to release all those detained after the
promulgation of emergency.

The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists on
Monday issued a strongly worded statement against
what it called the "worst kind of repression
against media since 1978". According to the
journalist union, some 16 journalists have been
detained and police have also raided printing
presses and bureau offices. In addition, police
threatened scores of journalists and cameramen
during coverage.

The electronic media news blackout within the
country has continued for the third day, although
newspapers are publishing normally. Cable
operators were allowed to broadcast only music,
movies, sports, and cartoon programmes --
"Anything other than news," said PFUJ secretary
general Mazhar Abbas.

Messages of solidarity for the democratic
struggle and against the emergency are pouring in
to various rights organisations from around the
world. Media organisations received calls from
cities all around Pakistan, including Karachi,
where the stock market has fallen 4.7 percent due
to the prevailing political uncertainty.

The uncertainty has been fuelled by strong
rumours about a "counter-coup". President
Musharraf termed the rumours "a joke of the
highest order".

Although Musharraf had indicated that the present
assemblies will be extended, his political
partners like the attorney general, Malik Qayyum,
Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz and Punjab Chief
Minister Pervaiz Elahi have said in various
statements that the assemblies will be dissolved
on Nov. 15 as scheduled and that elections will
be held on time.

(END/2007)

o o o

PFUJ OBSERVE BLACK DAY

Press Release

ISLAMABAD, Nov 9: "Black Day," was observed by
the journalists on the call of Pakistan Federal
Union of Journalists (PFUJ), against the curbs on
the media and the two anti-media laws, says in a
Press Release of PFUJ
     Protest camps were set up and meetings were
held by the journalists, during which they wear
black arms band and boycotted official functions.
Black flags were also hoisted on tv channels, and
on newspaper offices.
      Information collected by the PFUJ revealed
that Black Day, was observed in Islamabad,
Lahore, Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Peshawar,
Quetta, Azad Kashmir, Gilgit, Bhawalput, Multan,
Gujranwal and in all the major cities and even in
the smaller centres.
       A delegation of International Federation of
Journalists (IFJ), will visit Pakistan on
November 19, on the invitation of PFUJ to review
the media situation in Pakistan.
       President of the PFUJ, Syed Huma Ali while
addressing a protest camp n Islamabad, announced
that the protest will continued throughout
Pakistan till the acceptance of their demands
which includes the withdrawal of PEMRA and PPO
Ordinances, 2007, restoration of transmission of
all tv channels and FM radio, withdrawan of
notices and cases against newspapers and
journalists.
        Secretary General, PFUJ Mazhar Abbas said
that the struggle launched by the working
journalists will continue till the acceptance of
their demands and urged the broadcasters not to
sign PEMRA "Code of Ethics," aimed to suppress
the suppress the freedom of the Press and Freedom
of expression in  the country.

Mazhar Abbas,
Secretary General, PFUJ

9.11.07

o o o

The Post, November 10, 2007

EDITORIAL - DOUBTFUL UTILITY

Unconfirmed reports in a section of the print and
electronic media have hinted at the possibility
of a change in the Military Act. The proposed
amendment would allow the government to set up
military courts to hear the cases of civilians
accused of attacking army personnel or military
installations. Further, the persons suspected of
committing acts of terrorism could also be tried
in these military courts. Even as the formal
promulgation of the ordinance in this respect is
still awaited, the reports gain credence in view
of the fact that the Attorney General, Malik
Abdul Qayyum, is on record as having aired views
along the same lines a few days before the
proclamation of emergency. The government
position and the underlying line of reasoning are
not difficult to surmise. The constitution does
not allow civilians to be tried by military
courts. However, the constitution is in abeyance
and the country is being governed by the
Provisional Constitutional Order. Thus, the
government has the authority to act in spheres
where the constitution would have been an
impediment. The justification for the imposition
of an emergency stemmed from the government's
stated grievance that the superior judiciary was
letting off hardened terrorists, notably in cases
of missing persons and the Lal Masjid imbroglio.
Thus the inefficiency of the normal judicial
process was hampering the effort against
terrorism. The contention forwarded by some
former members of the superior judiciary that the
government failed to bring forth enough evidence
against the alleged terrorists, however, does not
obviate the factual position that the government
had apprehensions regarding the effectiveness of
the civil courts against the elusive menace of
terrorism. All this furnishes the perspective
behind the proposed amendment in the Army Act.
However, many people would have apprehensions
vis-à-vis the efficacy of the proposed strategy
to shake off judicial inertia in the light of
their historical experience. The memories of
stern military justice in 1919 (during the
British raj) are too deeply etched in our
collective memory to be erased. Our
post-independence history too has not been
altogether barren in examples of strict, summary
and severe justice in military courts. The very
exigencies that spur the institution of military
courts and the suspension of normal laws
necessitate military tribunals being inherently
structured to ignore due process. As we have seen
recently in the glaring case of the Guantanamo
Bay detention facility, proceedings in courts
where due process is ignored, more often than
not, fail to fulfil the goals forwarded as the
justification for drastic procedures. Our law
enforcement personnel are neither known for
impeccable professional skills nor reputed for
high standards of integrity. The fear is that the
impunity granted by the rather amorphous legal
lattice of military courts may tempt some law
enforcement personnel to haul in innocent
citizens along with the guilty. Ignoring the
unjust destruction of the lives of such innocent
accused, there is another and weightier reason to
retain the presumption of 'innocent till proven
guilty'. Once the emergency is lifted and the
constitution restored, normal judicial procedures
will once again be underway. The verdicts handed
down by the military tribunals will be challenged
by the innocent and the guilty alike. The loose
legal procedures adopted by the military courts
may see a reversal of their judgements, en masse.
Thus, the exercise will end up failing to provide
either justice or promptness.

______

[2]

INTERNATIONAL CRISIS GROUP -

Asia Report No 141

SRI LANKA: SINHALA NATIONALISM AND THE ELUSIVE SOUTHERN CONSENSUS

Colombo/Brussels, 7 November 2007: Lasting peace
will not be found in Sri Lanka until Sinhala
nationalism and the grievances that give it power
are understood and addressed.

<http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/index.cfm?id=5144&l=1>Sri
Lanka: Sinhala Nationalism and the Elusive
Southern Consensus,* the latest report from the
International Crisis Group, examines the
nationalism of the country's largest ethnic
community and its relationship to the almost
25-year conflict. Recent history shows the
Sinhalese are not unalterably opposed to a fair
deal for the minority Tamils but competition
between their major parties, the United National
Party (UNP) and the Sri Lanka Freedom Party
(SLFP), together with the violence and
intransigence of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil
Eelam (LTTE), have led President Rajapaksa to
adopt a hardline nationalist approach. Until the
sources of Sinhalese nationalism are taken more
seriously, it will continue to challenge attempts
to produce a political settlement.

Although President Rajapaksa states his
commitment to a political solution, his decision
to rely on hardline Sinhala nationalist parties
committed to a strictly unitary state structure
instead of considering substantial devolution of
powers to the regions has left him with little
option other than to try to defeat the LTTE
militarily. The All-Party Representative
Committee (APRC) set up in 2006 is developing
constitutional proposals intended to be endorsed
by all parties but the limited progress it has
made may unravel due to Rajapaksa's insistence on
the unitary state and the UNP decision to abandon
the process.

"Moving away from the unitary state is the only
viable basis for resolving the conflict
politically. Nothing less has the chance of
strengthening the non-LTTE Tamil parties and
opening up a new, broader political agenda for
constitutional reform endorsed by Muslim, Tamil
and Sinhala parties", says Alan Keenan, Crisis
Group's Senior Analyst in Colombo.

A new approach is needed that addresses
legitimate Sinhalese fears, so as to tackle
supremacist nationalism and allow for the
necessary southern consensus on devolution. Sri
Lanka's international backers will need to
persuade the president to compromise by dropping
reference to the unitary state. Without strong
international efforts to convince both the
government and the UNP to find common ground,
there is little chance the APRC can produce a
political package attractive to both Tamil
moderates and Sinhalese.

"To be sustainable, the next attempt at peace
needs to be part of a larger project of state
reform and good governance from which all
communities benefit, not merely a deal in which
Sinhalese trade territory for an end of war and
terror", says Asia Program Director Robert
Templer. "Domestic and international actors
should begin to fashion long-term strategies that
take into account the power of Sinhala
nationalist ideology, while aiming to minimise
the sources of its appeal and its ability to set
the political agenda".

*Read the full Crisis Group report at:
http://www.crisisgroup.org/home/getfile.cfm?id=3173&tid=5144&type=pdf&l=1

______

[3]

Nepali Times
  Issue #373 (09 November 07 - 15 November 07)

DONOR AMNESIA: PEACEBUILDING IS A SPECTATOR SPORT IN AIDLAND

by Tobias Denskus

One recent report on a conference in Brussels
organized by a northern NGO and interestingly
entitled 'Nepal: Looking beyond
Kathmandu-Challenges and Opportunities for
peacebuilding from below', had a cover page with
pictures from Nepal (rural women with
children-unrelated to the conflict and the
conference) and a second page with pictures from
the conference venue of a nondescript
board-room-style meeting room, handsome European
women and men and artefacts such as a data
projector and video-conferencing equipment.

The French philosopher Marc Augé coined the
expression of 'non-places' for such spaces
without history or individual meaning that only
exist to enable commercial interactions. In the
globalized aid world such places exist in
Brussels - or in the well-known hotels and
resorts in and around Kathmandu where workshops
are usually conducted. As long as such exchanges
shape the debate about post-conflict societies,
real social change for the majority of Nepalis
seems further away than any election dates, a new
constitution or accountable services in rural
areas.

After five decades of 'development' and ten years
of violent conflict, Kathmandu has remained in a
'bubble of innocence', as one donor
representative described the state of mind in a
city that seems remarkably far away from
'underdevelopment', 'poverty' or 'war'. When the
people formed a democracy movement last year and
demonstrated on the streets, few conflict
advisers and inhabitants of the bubble were able
to predict the political changes that were about
to happen. But they quickly shared their relief
that the promising signs of the Maoist party
joining 'mainstream politics', a forthcoming
constituent assembly, and parliamentary elections
would put Nepal back on the 'road to development'.

Some donors were relieved that they could now
continue with work they had planned before the
violent conflict, and that the small Nepali elite
in Kathmandu seemed to be willing to address the
'root causes' that have kept Nepal in 'poverty'
for the past 55 years. A bright 'post-conflict'
mirage was visible and donor amnesia quickly
replaced reflective practice. Aid specialists
from other post-war 'non-places' quickly arrived
in Kathmandu to share their approaches, always
stressing that they needed to be tailored to
Nepal, of course.

'Arms management', 'security sector reforms',
'transitional justice' - the Fall 2007 collection
arrived in Kathmandu straight from the
peacebuilding catwalks in Europe without looking
outside the 'bubble', or searching for stories in
the remote villages of Nepal, asking local people
about the future direction of their country. A
former 'conflict adviser' of a European donor
observes:

'When I first attended the meetings of the
conflict advisors' group I was surprised to find
them talking over simple and conservative
conflict analyses and I immediately started to
wonder whether these guys [all but one were men
at that time] should know these things by now and
before coming to Kathmandu'.

If I look at the amount of reports, briefings and
notes that arrive in my email inbox, I find that
a lot of the insights are not rooted in local
realties or have emerged from interactions other
than bringing a few people together for a
workshop with flipcharts and red plastic chairs.
Harmonising discourses and approaches may be in
vogue in today's 'Aidland', but, as this donor
went on to comment, donor co-ordination in the
peacebuilding community of Kathmandu seemed
somewhat over-enthusiastic: 'We had 400 meetings
after the February 1 coup of the King in 2005. I
knew more about what the Japanese and Americans
were doing than about our projects in the field.'

The professional life-world in Kathmandu was also
matched by the sheltered private lifestyle of
most international inhabitants of 'Aidland',
because the Maoist violence never reached the
Kathmandu Valley.

'Peacebuilding' is almost always linked to issues
of 'governmentality' - making 'chaotic' and
'unsafe' places fit for (neo)liberal democracy.
Nepal is doomed to be a success-story of how a
violent conflict can be transformed through
peaceful, democratic means and adoption of the
latest fashion in 'peace-building' and the
international spectators in form of UNMIN staff
or EU election observers have eagerly arrived in
the 'stadium' in Kathmandu. Neither critical
voices nor lessons learned from the failed
development of Nepal, nor indeed the history of
failed 'peacebuilding' interventions elsewhere,
will enter the narrative of 'success'.

Tobias Denskus is a doctoral researcher at the
Institute of Development Studies at the
University of Sussex, UK. A longer version of
this article appeared in Development In Practice
special issue on Buzzwords and Fuzzwords:
Deconstructing Development Discourses Vol 17, No4

______

[4] INDIAN ADMINISTRATED KASHMIR:

(i)

Indian Express
November 08, 2007
PAGE 1 ANCHOR

J&K'S WORST-KEPT SECRET: 60,000 FAMILIES ON A SECURITY BLACKLIST

by Muzamil Jaleel

Passports denied, salaries on hold, clearances
for jobs stuck because names 'linked to
militants; list hasn't been updated to factor in
those dead and long gone

SRINAGAR, NOVEMBER 7: Abdul Rasheed Malla is the
President of the Municipal Council, Baramulla,
heading the biggest elected civic body in north
Kashmir. He wanted to travel to Mecca for the Haj
but has been denied travel documents because the
police did not clear him. Malla is surprised
because he had been to Haj in 2002 and no one has
told him why he can't this time.

He isn't the only one. Consider Raheela Qazi. Two
years after her father crossed over to Pakistan
illegally, Qazi's mother and her two sisters
moved to Pakistan from Baramulla in 1992 with
valid passports. Raheela, then 13, stayed back
with her grandfather. Raheela's name was endorsed
on her mother's passport. Now she has been denied
security clearance because of her father's past.

Then there is Zahoor Ahmad Beigh. Five years ago,
he got a job as a Class IV employee in a
government school in Srinagar His monthly salary
has been stopped because the police denied him
"security clearance." Reason: his brother, police
say, was a JKLF activist who was killed in 1993.

He may have been dead 14 years but Beigh's
brother, like Raheela's father, all figure on
what officials in the security establishment call
a "security index", a veritable blacklist
prepared by the J&K Police's intelligence wing,
that has swelled to cover as many as 60,000
families across the Valley.

Examples like the ones mentioned above show that
this list hasn't even been updated to delete
names of those who have died, come overground or
even joined the Government. Now the J-K Police
has denied clearance to 400 aspiring Haj pilgrims
as well - they either figure in the "index" or
have relatives who do or, in some cases, have
names "similar" to the ones mentioned in the list.

Such a list, police officers say, is of crucial
importance given the security situation in the
state but it needs a review to ensure that
innocent residents are not denied their rights.
For, if a person figures on this index, all his
relatives are on the watchlist and can be denied
security clearance, a pre-requisite for securing
a passport, jobs in the government or in major
private sector companies.

The Indian Express contacted several senior J-K
Police officers but no one is willing to come on
the record on this. "Security clearance in the
Valley is an extremely sensitive issue and we are
very strict with it," said a senior officer on
the condition of anonymity. "And then, it is a
subjective discretion with the state to issue
passportto a citizen".

Some other examples of names on the "security index":

* 25-year-old Mohammad Rafiq Bhat has been denied
a passport to travel to the Gulf for work.
Reason: his father has a son from an earlier
marriage, Shoukat Ahmad, who was arrested in 1993
for alleged involvement in militancy. Ahmad was
released and now runs a shawl business in
Kolkata. But that makes no difference to Bhat's
case.

* Zahid Fayaz Zargar, 30, runs a handicraft
business in Srinagar. He has been denied a
passport for failing to get security clearance.
Official records show that the police have
nothing against him except that Zargar's uncle
Rayees Ahmad, was once working with a
government-backed counter-insurgent group. There
is no case against Rayees Ahmad.

* Asiya (name changed on request), Solina,
Srinagar: An outstanding skier, Asiya applied for
a passport after she received an invitation to
participate in an international ski competition
in 2004. The passport was denied after an adverse
report. When Asiya approached the CID department,
she was told her husband had been arrested
several years ago on the suspicion of being a
militant. This had happened years before their
marriage and her husband's family had not
revealed this information to her or to her family
at the time of their wedding.

Asiya wrote to the police saying that she has
nothing to do with what her husband was accused
of years before their wedding and thus her
"career should not be jeopardised". But the
passport was denied.

Although the majority of the separatist top
brass, including several former top militant
commanders, get special waivers to travel
overseas and are provided with requisite security
clearances, this "index" comes back to haunt
several citizens with no record of involvement
with violence or militancy.

Several police officers admit that they have
raised the issue at several official security
meetings and underlined the need for a
"comprehensive" update. "It doesn't make any
sense especially at a time when the situation on
the ground has changed and when we are looking at
more people top people contacts via the bus and
other. We need to review these cases," a senior
officer said.

o o o

(ii)

Deccan Herald

SIXTY YEARS OF KASHMIR'S ACCESSION: THE LESS KNOWN REALITIES
by Balraj Puri

Jammu and Kashmir is not a problem of
Hindu-Muslim relations as many people believe.

October 27 was the day when Jammu and Kashmir
acceded to the Indian Union in 1947. The sixtieth
anniversary of the day was observed, in Jammu as
a day of celebration and in Kashmir as a complete
hartal underlying again the extent of differences
between the popular moods in the two principal
regions the state. These differences provide a
vital clue to the developments and complications
in the state since pre-independence days.

The initiative for converting the state Muslim
conference into the National Conference was taken
by two leaders of Jammu, Mahatma Budh Singh and
Chaudhary Ghulam Ahmad Abbas. They were together
in Reasi jail where they developed a close
friendship.

Both went to Srinagar to persuade Shiekh Abdullah
to make a secular all state political party.
While the Sheikh accepted the advice, it was
subject to a gentleman agreement that the
leadership of the National Conference would
rotate between the two regions every year.

Somehow, Sheikh Abdullah did not honour the
agreement and the leaders of the two regions
parted company. As the national leadership of the
Congress was not willing to accommodate any rival
to the Sheikh, the leaders of the Jammu region
sought the patronage of the Muslim League and the
Hindu Maha Sabha, and formed local branches of
the Muslim Conference and Jammu and Kashmir Rajya
Hindu Sabha.

When the National Conference launched the Quit
Kashmir movement in 1946 demanding termination of
the monarchy with the slogan of "Dogra Raj
Murdabad," it had a negative reaction in the
Jammu region where Dogras were the predominant
community.

Opposing the Quit Kashmir movement, Choudhary
Hameedullah, acting president of the Jammu Muslim
Conference said, "We have never lacked in showing
loyalty and respect for the Maharaja and it is
because of this attachment that we did not
support the Quit Kashmir Movement."

Both the Hindu Sabha and the Muslim Conference
supported the Maharaja's desire for independence
when the Partition plan was announced.
Hameedullah argued, "Accession to Pakistan will
disturb Hindus and accession to India will
disturb Muslims.

Therefore, we have decided not to enter into any
controversy either with India or Pakistan. The
second thing we have decided is that we should
try to acquire independence for the state. The
third question before us is what would be the
position of the Maharaja, which could only be
secure in an independent state".

The same Hindu leadership that had supported
independence of the state opposed its autonomy
under Article 370 of the Indian constitution
which guaranteed it. It was now organised under
the banner of Praja Parishad, which became an
affiliate of the Bhartiya Jana Sangh. The motive
both times was the same distrust of the leaders
of the Kashmir region.

After transfer of power from the Jammu based
Maharaja to the Kashmir based leaders, they
opposed what they called "Kashmiri Raj"
domination as before 1947, Kashmiris opposed what
they called "Dogra Raj". And the best way to get
rid of "Kashmiri Raj", they thought, was to erode
autonomy of the state.

The polarisation in the two regions around
slogans of full accession and limited accession
made the very issue of accession in dispute. The
chain of events were one of the major factors
responsible for dismissal from power of Sheikh
Abdullah and his long detention.

Even after the rise of secessionist forces in
Kashmir, differences between Kashmir leaders and
the leaders of the Pak administered state
re-emerged. Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front,
which initiated the militant movement, was soon
split into two groups led by Kashmiri speaking
Yasin Malik and PoK leader Amanullah.

When Hurriyat leaders visited PoK, across the LoC
on the invitation of the Pakistan government in
2005, Sikandar Hayat Khan, the then Prime
Minister of PoK challenged their claim to
represent the Indian side of the state as not a
single person form Jammu region was with them.

When the Poonch-Rawalakote bus route was opened
last year, his son Farooq Hayat came upto the LoC
and openly said in the presence of the media that
there was no use opening the
Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road as there were not many
Kashmiris in this part of the state. He demanded
opening of more roads on LoC in Jammu region as
most of the divided families lived there.

An eloquent lesson from the facts stated above is
that Jammu and Kashmir is not a problem of
Hindu-Muslim relations as many people believe and
religion is not the only basis of identity. Bonds
of language, culture, region and ethnicity in
certain circumstances, proved stronger than those
of religion.

Thus Kashmiri Muslims are as much Muslims as
Kashmiris and Muslims of Jammu mostly belong to
Pahrai, Gujar and Dogra communities who belong to
the same family of languages.

How regional factors matter was evident when the
Congress swept the polls in 2002 assembly
election when it projected its Muslim leader
Ghulam Nabi Azad as the future Chief Minister,
conceding only one seat to the BJP out of 37
constituencies.

The above mentioned developments have taken place
despite official policies which still consider
Kashmir as a Muslim region, Jammu as a Hindu and
Ladakh as a Buddhist region and have so far
ignored not only substational minorities (35 per
cent Muslims in Jammu and 48 per cent Muslims in
Ladakh) but also regional and cultural identities
which have shown their vitality and  potentiality
for laying foundations of a secular state of
Jammu and Kashmir.

(The writer is Director, Institute of Jammu and Kashmir affairs,
Jammu.)

______

[5]  TEHELKA EXPOSE AND AFTER; FASCISM AND 'NORMALITY'

Business Standard

Tehelka and after

CRITICALLY INCLINED
Sadanand Menon / New Delhi November 02, 2007

Every bully is also a braggart. It was a matter
of time before architects of the 2002 Gujarat
pogroms would sing like parrots and boast of
their brutalities. That a Tehelka kind of exposé
would happen was inevitable. Enough criminal acts
had been perpetrated by enough number of people
for it to continue to remain under the wraps for
any extended length of time.

The Tehelka team did manage a convincing
orchestration of their material and its
dissemination. Their special issue, last week, is
a compelling document of infamy, packing in the
on-camera testimonies of some 20 lead players in
the Gujarat riots as well as an inspired
editorial by Tarun Tejpal. Obviously, he and his
colleagues are shaken by the evidentiary material
on tape. The editorial warning, "Read. And be
afraid," rings true. It is the voice of someone
who has seen the 'face of fascism' and got
politicised.

A few questions follow. One is, what made such a
large number of Narendra Modi acolytes come
clean, even if on spy-cam? What made them
describe so graphically the unspeakable acts they
committed? You don't find rapists or murderers
easily confessing their crimes. So, why did this
set of mob leaders feel compelled to talk?

The other question is, despite a 48-hour media
buzz, why has the exposé been unable to provoke
any mass reaction either in Gujarat or in the
rest of the country? Will anyone be punished?

Some explanations can be attempted. One is based
on Jean-Paul Sartre's celebrated cautionary, in
his introduction to Frantz Fanon's The Wretched
of the Earth. Confronting his countrymen with the
excesses of French soldiers in Algeria, Sartre
writes, "It is not right (for a soldier) to be
obliged to torture for ten hours a day; at that
rate, his nerves will fall to bits, unless the
torturers are forbidden in their own interest to
work overtime." The Hindutva 'laboratory' in
Gujarat allowed their cadre to carry out
unrepentant rampage on minorities for too long.
What we are witnessing on the Tehelka tapes now
is a process of the fraying of nerves. It's the
guts spilling out. The only way the arsonist can
handle his conscience is by exaggerating it as an
achievement. It is an exhibition of unbridled
libido. You have to flaunt it. Babu Bajrangi,
Haresh Bhatt, Arvind Pandya, everyone has been
bursting to announce it. All they needed was the
promise of a secure listener. That was what the
undercover Tehelka reporter represented.

Of course, it is not as if anyone was trying to
hide this planned savagery. I have travelled to
Gujarat many times since March 2002. Each time I
have been told how recordings of rape and
killings are now part of video lending libraries
in the state, regularly taken on loan to be
'enjoyed' in the comfort of average middle class
homes. The story circulates of how private video
studios in towns and villages (usually making a
living out of recording local marriages) were
willingly or otherwise drafted and how several
acts of violence were done 'for camera'.

So, the Gujarat events are not about the
barbarity of one political figurehead or his
trusted cronies. While they were certainly
instrumental, as the tapes show, one cannot
anymore disregard the role of the 'masses'.
"Fascism," German psychologist Wilhelm Reich had
explained, "differs from other reactionary
parties, inasmuch as it is borne and championed
by masses of people." In Gujarat, it is clear
that, as Shubh Mathur's brilliant The Everyday
Life of Hindu Nationalism (Three Essays
Collective, forthcoming) has it, "the cultural
logic and institutional power of Hindutva have
become deeply entrenched in everyday life itself."

She quotes Columbia University anthropologist,
Michael Taussig: "Torture and institutionalised
terror is like a ritual art form; far from being
spontaneous and an abandonment of what are often
called 'the values of civilization', such rites
have a deep history deriving power and meaning
from those values."

I have often argued that, in the daily sphere,
this is made possible by the galloping growth of
popular mysticism. In Gujarat, it manifests in
the horizontal spread of the satsang. Subsequent
to the demagogic successes of sadhvis like
Rithambara and Uma Bharati, an epidemic of
satsangis has captured Gujarat. Morari Bapu,
Asaramji Bapu, Rameshbhai Oza, Atmagyani Niruma,
Pramukh Swami - a long list of interpreters of
Hindu tenets who pepper their discourses with
provocative contemporary political issues. Seldom
do they have audiences of less than a hundred
thousand. They are conduits through which
borderline Hindutva circulates.

It is an error to read fascism as an abnormality;
one should, in fact, seek the links between
fascism and 'normality'. Shubh Mathur's insight
is important, "A 'culture of terror' is the
cultural logic of Hindutva, and is central to its
imagining, enactment, and retelling." It is
crucial that individuals, collectives and
institutions act to dismantle that logic.
Otherwise, a sullen backlash is certain.

o o o

  On the Shameless Silence of the Congress Party after the Tehelka Expose

Does Anything Matter?
by Tarun Tejpal
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/on-shameless-silence-of-congress-party.html

Time To Speak Up
by Mahesh Peri
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/time-of-speak-up-after-tehelka-sting.html

A pogrom does not lessen in brutality if it is hidden from the nation
by Kuldip Nayar
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/pogrom-does-not-lessen-in-brutality-if.html

  Does this society have the nerve nerve to
confront the beast exposed by the Tehelka expose ?
by Prashant Bhushan
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/does-this-society-have-nerve-nerve-to.html

The Truth of Gujarat Carnage
by Ram Puniyani
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/truth-of-gujarat-carnage.html

Courting injustice
by Priya Pillai
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/end-impunity-of-perpetrators-and.html

In India we do wonderful omissions of inquiry
by Pamela Philipose
http://communalism.blogspot.com/2007/11/in-india-we-do-wonderful-omissions-of.html

______

[6]

The Times of India

SHOULD WE BE PROUD OF BOBBY JINDAL?

by Shashi Tharoor

The election of Bobby Jindal as governor of the
US state of Louisiana has been greeted exultantly
by Indians and Indian-Americans around the world.
There's no question that this is an extraordinary
accomplishment: a young Indian-American, just 36
years old, not merely winning an election but
doing so on the first ballot by receiving more
votes than his 11 rivals combined, and that too
in a state not noticeably friendly to minorities.
Bobby Jindal will now be the first
Indian-American governor in US history, and the
youngest currently serving chief executive of an
American state. These are distinctions of which
he can legitimately be proud, and it is not
surprising that Indians too feel a vicarious
sense of shared pride in his remarkable ascent.

But is our pride misplaced? Who is Bobby Jindal
and what does he really stand for?

There are, broadly speaking, two kinds of Indian
migrants in America: though no sociologist, i'll
call them the atavists and the assimilationists.
The atavists hold on to their original identities
as much as possible, especially outside the
workplace; in speech, dress, food habits,
cultural preferences, they are still much more
Indian than American. The assimilationists, on
the other hand, seek assiduously to merge into
the American mainstream; they acquire a new
accent along with their visa, and adopt the ways,
clothes, diet and recreational preferences of the
Americans they see around them. (Of course, there
are the in-betweens, but we'll leave them aside
for now.) Class has something to do with which of
the two major categories an Indian immigrant
falls into; so does age, since the newer
generation of Indians, especially those born in
America, inevitably tend to gravitate to the
latter category.

Bobby Jindal is an assimilationist's dream. Born
to relatively affluent professionals in
Louisiana, he rejected his Indian name (Piyush)
as a very young child, insisting that he be
called Bobby, after a (white) character on the
popular TV show 'The Brady Bunch'. His desire to
fit in to the majority-white society he saw
around him soon manifested itself in another act
of rejection: Bobby spurned the Hindusim into
which he was born and, as a teenager, converted
to Roman Catholicism, the faith of most white
Louisianans. There is, of course, nothing wrong
with any of this, and it is a measure of his
precocity that his parents did not balk at his
wishes despite his extreme youth. The boy was
clearly gifted, and he soon had a Rhodes
scholarship to prove it. But he was also
ambivalent about his identity: he wanted to be
seen as a Louisianan, but his mirror told him he
was also an Indian. The two of us won something
called an 'Excelsior Award' once from the

Network of Indian Professionals in the US, and
his acceptance speech on the occasion was
striking - obligatory references to the Indian
values of his parents, but a speech so American
in tone and intonation that he mangled the Indian
name of his own brother. There was no doubt which
half of the hyphen this Indian-American leaned
towards.

But there are many ways to be American, and it's
interesting which one Bobby chose. Many Indians
born in America have tended to sympathise with
other people of colour, identifying their lot
with other immigrants, the poor, the underclass.
Vinita Gupta, in Oklahoma, another largely white
state, won her reputation as a crusading lawyer
by taking up the case of illegal immigrants
exploited by a factory owner (her story will
shortly be depicted by Hollywood, with Halle
Berry playing the Indian heroine). Bhairavi Desai
leads a taxi drivers' union; Preeta Bansal, who
grew up as the only non-white child in her school
in Nebraska, became New York's Solicitor General
and now serves on the Commission for Religious
Freedom. None of this for Bobby. Louisiana's most
famous city, New Orleans, was a majority black
town, at least until Hurricane Katrina destroyed
so many black lives and homes, but there is no
record of Bobby identifying himself with the
needs or issues of his state's black people.
Instead, he sought, in a state with fewer than
10,000 Indians, not to draw attention to his race
by supporting racial causes. Indeed, he went well
beyond trying to be non-racial (in a state that
harboured notorious racists like the Ku Klux
Klansman David Duke); he cultivated the most
conservative elements of white Louisiana society.
With his widely-advertised piety (he asked his
Indian wife, Supriya, to convert as well, and the
two are regular churchgoers), Bobby Jindal
adopted positions on hot-button issues that place
him on the most conservative fringe of the
Republican Party. Most Indian-Americans are in
favour of gun control, support a woman's right to
choose abortion, advocate immigrants' rights, and
oppose school prayer (for fear that it would
marginalise non-Christians). On every one of
these issues, Bobby Jindal is on the opposite
side. He's not just conservative; on these
questions, he is well to the right of his own
party.

That hasn't stopped him, however, from seeking
the support of Indian-Americans. Bobby Jindal has
raised a small fortune from them, and when he
last ran (unsuccessfully) for governor in 2004,
an army of Indian-American volunteers from
outside the state turned up to campaign for him.
Many seemed unaware of his political views; it
was enough for them that he was Indian. At his
Indian-American fundraising events, Bobby is
careful to downplay his extreme positions and
play up his heritage, a heritage that plays
little part in his appeal to the Louisiana
electorate. Indian-Americans, by and large,
accept this as the price of political success in
white America: it's just good to have "someone
like us" in such high office, whatever views he
professes to get himself there.

So Indians beam proudly at another
Indian-American success story to go along with
Kalpana Chawla and Sunita Williams, Hargobind
Khorana and Subramaniam Chandrasekhar, Kal Penn
and Jhumpa Lahiri. But none of these Indian
Americans expressed attitudes and beliefs so much
at variance with the prevailing values of their
community. Let us be proud that a brown-skinned
man with an Indian name has achieved what Bobby
Jindal has. But let us not make the mistake of
thinking that we should be proud of what he
stands for.

______

[7] ANNOUNCEMENTS:

(i)

There would be a                          against
the imposition of emergency/martial law in
Pakistan.
Please inform as many people as you can so that
we have an impressive gathering and a
loud voice.

Venue Boston common.. (park street t- stop)
Date: sat Nov 10th 2007
Time: 10 am

Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. SACW is an independent & non-profit
citizens wire service run since 1998 by South
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/