SACW | 15 August 2005

sacw aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Aug 14 18:44:29 CDT 2005

South Asia Citizens Wire  | 15 August,  2005

[Interruption notice:  There will be no SACW
posts between 17 August - 2 September 2005 ]

[1]  Sri Lanka: Media release by Democratic Left Front
[2]  Bangladesh: The long shadow of the August 1975 coup (Lawrence Lifschultz)
[3]  India : Anti Sikh riots of 1984 riots and the endless wait for justice
  (i)  1984 Revisited - Time For A National Audit
: Personal Reflections (Lalita Ramdas)
  (ii) The Nanavati report and after  - Don't
Shield Communal Killers (Praful Bidwai)
(iii)  Sum of all fears - Sikh families from
Bokaro to Kanpur remember . . . (The Sunday
Express)
[4]  India blind to Nepal's republican trends  (Bharat Bhushan)
[5]  India: Ayodhya - The Aftermath Of The Terrorist Attack (Subhash Gatade)
[6]  India: Dharna For Employment Guarantee (New Delhi, 18 August 2005)

______

[1]

Democratic Left Front

Media Release

We condemn the assassination of  Minister Kadirgamar
We await the  results of the investigation eagerly.

One can infer on the face of it that the  LTTE could
be held responsible for the assassination for the
reason that Mr. Kadirgamar was being considered an
enemy by the LTTE for quite sometime.  Nevertheless
according to the information available as of now there
has been a serious lapse related to his security
arrangements.  When the former defence  minister Mr
Ranjan Wijeratne was assassinated similarly the LTTE
was alleged to be responsible.  But later on other
forces were suspected to be behind it.  Up to date the
real fact of it is not known.

Therefore it is necessary to launch an immediate and
incisive investigation to probe into why and how the
assassin was able to get at him in this manner despite
the heavy security.  Who knew that Mr Kadirgamar was
going to the place of incident on this day and at this
time?  Why did his security leave him uncovered and
exposed in or near the swimming pool? How did the
assassin manage to escape so easily from the scene of
the crime?

His  death is a substantial loss to our  society and
we express our condolences.

As an organization that deplores any  political
violence we condemn this political assassination
vehemently.  Similarly we also condemn efforts by
racist political forces to incite communal violence
and drag the country back to war capitalizing on this
unfortunate event.

Vasudeva Nanayakkara
		Quintus Liyanage
Secretary
			National Organiser

49 1/1 Vinayalankara Mawatha
Colombo 10
13 - 08 - 2005

______

[2]  [Bangladesh]

http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/08/15/d5081501033.htm
The Daily Star
August 15, 2005

The past is never dead
THE LONG SHADOW OF THE AUGUST 1975 COUP
by Lawrence Lifschultz

Was the assassination of Bangabandhu Sheikh
Mujibur Rahman and his family members on August
15, 1975 merely the result of personal malice and
an act out of sudden fury of some army officers?

Long investigation by veteran US journalist
Lawrence Lifschultz has made it clear that there
was a deep-rooted conspiracy behind the dark
episode of August 15.

Lifschultz in a number of investigative reports
published in newspapers made it clear that
Khandaker Moshtaque and a quarter of US embassy
officials in Dhaka were closely involved with the
small section of army officers in the August 15
coup.

At long last, Lifschultz disclosed the name of
his "very reliable source", the then US
ambassador in Dhaka Eugene Booster with whom he
has maintained close communication for the 30
years.

Booster repeatedly objected to the conspiracy
leading to the August 15 assassination, even
issued written instruction in this regard, but
failed to prevent the then station chief Philip
Cherry of US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in
Dhaka office from doing the conspiracy.

Lifschultz's plan to publish an interview of
Eugene Booster in this regard remained
unfulfilled as Booster passed away on July 7 last.

The new-born Bangladesh could not save herself
from the wrath of then foreign secretary Henry
Kissinger who could never forget that Bangladesh
was born in opposition to his suggestion.

Along with Salvador Allende of Chile and Taiyoo
of Vietnam, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was
in Kissinger's political vendetta.

What USA started during the Liberation War in
1971 with attempt to split the Awami League using
Khandaker Moshtaque and his accomplices continued
after the independence following a direct US
instigation, resulting in the carnage on August
15, 1975.

On basis of his 30 years' investigation that
included interviews with the US sources,
Moshtaque and others concerned, Lifschultz has
written a series of that tale.

The first part of his four reports is published today.
The 30th anniversary of the August 15th military
coup in Bangladesh powerfully illustrates the
dictum of William Faulkner that the past is never
dead, it is not even past. For those of us who
lived through the years of Bangladesh's 'War of
Independence' and the decade of the 1970s, we
remember these dates as milestones of an era.
They are markers on a road we traveled to a
destination many did not reach.

After thirty years Bangladesh still lives with
the legacy of the violent night of August 15th.
Just over four years from that dark March night
in 1971 when Pakistani Army troops rolled their
tanks and armoured vehicles through the streets
of Dhaka slaughtering their fellow countrymen
instead of accepting the outcome of national
elections they had agreed to accept, a small unit
of the new Bangladesh Army invoking the sordid
tradition of Pakistan Army staged a traditional
military putsch.

Within hours, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, symbol for
many of an ideal of liberation, was dead in a
military coup d'etat that had run amok in a
frenzy of killing. Mujib and almost his entire
family were slaughtered including his wife and
sons, the youngest only twelve. On that deadly
night groups of soldiers broke into squads and
traveled around the city killing relatives of
Mujib's family.

The pregnant wife of one relation who attempted
to intercede to save her husband's life was
herself killed for her efforts. Mujib's two
daughters were abroad and they survived with
Sheikh Hasina years later becoming Prime
Minister. Yet, only a year ago, she too was
nearly assassinated in broad daylight by a hit
squad that still "eludes" capture, demonstrating
yet again Faulkner's insightthe past is not even
past. It is very much present.

The political configuration that exists today is
a direct descendant of August 15, 1975. The
current Prime Minister, Khaleda Zia, was the wife
of the late General Ziaur Rahman, the Deputy
Chief of Army Staff in 1975, who played a crucial
behind scenes role in the plotting that preceded
the coup and in the events which followed.

At the American Embassy that night political and
intelligence officers tried to monitor the
unfolding events. But, there was one figure at
the Embassy in the days that followed the coup
who was particularly unsettled. A small knot had
settled in his stomach. The events were an echo
of what he had feared might happen months earlier
and which he had made strenuous efforts to
prevent.

I would meet this man in Washington three years
later. He became a critical source for me and
clearly hoped the information that he provided
would one day lead to uncomfortable truths being
revealed and those responsible being held
accountable. For the first time in nearly thirty
years I can identify this individual. I have been
freed from a restraint of confidentiality that I
have adhered to for almost three decades. But, be
patient, with me a bit longer while I explain how
and why I came to meet this individual.

I was one among many foreign correspondents
covering the coup. Yet, I was the only journalist
reporting these events for a major publication
who had actually lived in Bangladesh as a
journalist. I was the Dhaka correspondent of the
Far Eastern Economic Review (Hong Kong) in 1974.
The following year I moved to New Delhi and took
up a new position as South Asia Correspondent for
the Review. The violent death of Mujib would draw
me into an inquiry that I could never have
anticipated would, again and again, hold me in
its sway at different stages of my life.

My unusual source who worked at the American
Embassy that night would encourage me forward by
his own honesty and quality of integrity. He was
one of those unusual individuals one occasionally
finds inhabiting an official bureaucracy. He was
deeply distressed about the coup and the
subsequent killings. He was a man with a
conscience. Unlike the rest of us he knew
something others did not and that knowledge tore
at his conscience. It was this sense of ethical
responsibility that brought us face-to-face in
one of the more memorable encounters I had as
young reporter.

After the coup against Mujib the official story
put about by the successor regime and its minions
in the Bangladesh press disturbed me. It didn't
hold together. Moreover, the cracks began to
reveal rather curious links and antecedents.

The version of events which emerged at the time
was that six junior officers, with three hundred
men under their command, had acted exclusively on
their own in overthrowing Mujib. The motives for
the coup were attributed to a combination of
personal grudges held by certain of the officers
against Mujib and his associates, together with a
general mood of frustration at the widespread
corruption that had come to characterize certain
elements of Mujib's regime. In short, according
to this view of events the coup was an ad hoc
affair not a thought out plan a year or more in
the making.

The morning Mujib and his family were killed, the
figure installed by the young majors as President
was Khandakar Mustaque Ahmed, generally
considered to be the representative of a rightist
faction within Mujib's own party, the Awami
League. After the putsch, Mustaque remained
impeccably reticent about any part he personally
might have played in Mujib's downfall. He neither
confirmed nor denied his prior involvement. He
simply avoided any public discussion of the
question and desperately attempted to stabilize
his regime.

A year following the coup, after he had himself
been toppled from power and before his own arrest
on corruption charges, Mustaque denied to me in
an interview at his home in the "Old City" of
Dhaka that he had any prior knowledge of the coup
plan or piror meetings with the army majors, who
carried out the action. However, the majors who
staged the military part of the coup and were
forced into exile within four months by upheavals
within the Bangladesh Army began to tell a
different tale.

In interviews with journalists in Bangkok and
elsewhere, bitter at their abandonment by their
erstwhile sponsors and allies, the majors began
to talk out of school. They confirmed prior
meetings with Mustaque and his associates. A
story began to emerge that Mustaque and his
political friends had been involved for more than
a year in a web of secret planning that would
lead to the overthrow and death of Mujib.

A few months after the coup, a mid-level official
at the U.S. Embassy told me that he was aware of
serious tensions within the U.S. Embassy over
what had happened in August. He said that there
were stories circulating inside the Embassy that
the CIA's Station Chief, Philip Cherry, had
somehow been involved in the coup and that there
was specific tension between Cherry and Eugene
Boster, the American Ambassador. He had no
specific details about the nature of this
"tension" only that there were problems. "I
understand," he said, "something happened that
should not have happened." He urged me to dig
further.

American involvement in the coup didn't make
sense to me. In the United States, two
Congressional Committees were gearing up to
investigate illegal covert actions of the Central
Intelligence Agency. The so-called Church and
Pike Committee hearings in Washington on CIA
assassinations of foreign leaders had begun. The
committee hearings were having their own impact
within the American diplomatic and intelligence
bureaucracies creating great nervousness and
anxiety. The American press was openly
speculating that senior American intelligence
officials might face imprisonment for illegal
clandestine action in Chile and elsewhere.

It was the summer when citizens of the United
States first heard acronyms like MONGOOSE,
COINTELPRO, AM/LASH and elaborate details of
assassination plots against Lumumba in the Congo,
Castro in Cuba and Allende in Chile. The covert
hand of American power had touched far and wide.
Now the tip of the iceberg was publicly emerging
so that for the first time Americans could take a
clear look. Yet, all that was happening far away
in Washington, in a muggy heat as sultry as any
South Asian monsoon.

In India, Indira Gandhi, speaking of the tragedy
of Mujib's death, spoke of the sure hand of
foreign involvement. As usual, Mrs. Gandhi was
graphically lacking in details or specifics.
However, her avid supporters during those first
nuptial days of India's Emergency, the pro-Moscow
Communist Party of India (C.P.I.) were more
explicit: the CIA said the CPI was behind the
coup. I dismissed this as propaganda based on no
specific evidence.

Yet, how had the coup happened? There were still
huge gaps in my knowledge of how specific actors
had traveled through the various mazes they had
constructed to disguise their movements yet which
ultimately led to August 15th. I was living in
England nearly three years after the coup when I
decided to make a trip to Washington to visit a
colleague of mine, Kai Bird, who was then an
editor with The Nation magazine, published from
New York. Today he is a prominent American author.

Lawrence Lifschultz was South Asia Correspondent
of the Far Eastern Economic Review (Hong Kong).
He has written extensively on European and Asian
affairs for The Guardian (London), Le Monde
Diplomatique, The Nation (New York), and the BBC
among numerous other journals and publications.
Lifschultz is editor and author of several books
including Why Bosnia? (with Rabia Ali) and
Hiroshima's Shadow: Writings on the Denial of
History & The Smithsonian Controversy (with Kai
Bird). He is currently at work on a book
concerning Kashmir.

______

[3]

(i)

www.sacw.net

1984 REVISITED - TIME FOR A NATIONAL AUDIT

Personal Reflections

by Lalita Ramdas

August 2005 - the Report of the Nanavati
Commission of Inquiry into the 1984 slaughter of
thousands of innocent Sikhs - [the ninth such
appointed by a succession of governments], was
eventually tabled and made public. The last two
days have seen mayhem and Hungama in Parliament -
statements by the Prime Minister - self-righteous
speeches by opposition politicians, resignations
of Ministers amid protests of innocence - angry
demonstrations  on the streets -- calls for
Khalistan - and sensational headlines.

The events of the week in parliament and on the
streets pushes my thoughts inexorably back to New
Delhi -  October 31 1984 ŠŠlike so many, I too
have been guilty of keeping that particular
compartment locked away. But today I feel
impelled to speak up again.

  I was among those who watched with horror and
disbelief the slaughter of thousands of innocent
Sikhs following the assassination of Indira
Gandhi on October 31st.  It did not take much
intelligence for even the most naïve of us to
realize that we were witnessing something that
went beyond a mere spontaneous outpouring of
grief and anger at the death of a leader. From
across the city  the reports were the same: mobs
on the rampage - Sikhs in cars and scooters being
attacked; fires and smoke across Delhi.
Instinctively, many of us broke curfew, stepped
out of our relatively secure homes , and made our
way to the areas which were burning and to which
police was already blocking access. Trilok Puri -
Mongol Puri - Sultan Puri - Lajpat Nagar - Bhogal
- the names have gone down in grisly historical
memory. And within those first 24 to 48 hours,
those of us who were able to venture out into
some of the worst hit areas, were witness to the
unspeakable acts of deliberate identification,
hunting down and brutal killings.  Much of this
has been recorded in the thousands of recorded
statements by those fleeing from their homes who
certainly had no time to `manufacture evidence'.
The names of those who were perceived to be
behind the attacks - often perpetrated by poorer
communities in their own neighbourhood -
Dharamdas Shastri, HKL Bhagat, Lalit Maken,
Jagdish Tytler, Sajjan Kumar, and many others,
were already common knowledge and surfaced in
statement after statement. I have personally
recorded hundreds of testimonies from broken and
distraught women who had seen sons, husbands,
brothers and fathers hacked, burned alive or
tortured before their eyes. It is these images
that come back today to haunt us all.

NAGRIK EKTA MANCH, a people's initiative - was
born spontaneously, as much out of the enormous
outpouring of outrage  at the genocidal killings,
as of a desire to provide some form of succour
and relief.  NEM became the hub of one of the
most amazing, well organized, non-governmental
relief and rehabilitation efforts in recent
times. For three years, the quest to unravel the
truth about 1984, bringing the guilty to justice,
and securing basic relief and rehabilitation and
justice to the victims, crowded out all else.
Our small NGO - ANKUR, prioritized this issue
above all else  and also  evolved into a more
politically aware group through this experience.

In my capacity as co-ordinator at Nanaksar Relief
Camp, I testified before the Justice Ranganath
Mishra Commission - and foolishly hoped that
justice would be done. Young and old alike put
their lives on hold for varying periods of time.
Clearly we were no match for the staying power of
the State - and one by one - we too fell by the
way side, and went on to deal with ongoing work
and newer crises of which there was no dearth.
But we bore direct witness to the communalization
of politics.

I was living in one of the better known colonies
of Lutyens Imperial city - Lodi Estate - across
the road from the India International Centre, and
home to senior serving officers from  the top
civil and military echelons in the country.  My
husband - then a serving Admiral in the Indian
Navy, was based in Visakhapatnam, where he was
commanding the Eastern Fleet. We knew we had his
support for using our  home as the impromptu camp
office to a motley group of us - academics,
activists, housewives, students and others, who
would spend the days at Nanaksar, Farsh Bazaar
and other far flung locations where the initial
relief camps were set up. Returning home late, we
would spend most of the night systematically
documenting and tabulating the data gathered
during the day. Similar scenes were enacted in
several parts of the city.  It was the syntheses
of all our reports and eyewitness accounts which
went to make up one of the seminal reports on the
1984 massacres [they cannot be termed RIOTS] -
entitled WHO ARE THE GUILTY? [URL:
http://www.sacw.net/i_aii/WhoaretheGuilty.html ]

When we were not in the camps - we were either
rescuing friends from mobs in far away places -
or taking out Peace Marches in areas where
vulnerable Sikhs cowered in their homes -
terrified to come out and be seen. It was during
the `Peace March' through Bhogal that we came
face to face with the already organized shape of
militant Hindutva - a mob of youngsters - all
male who were ready to use their Trishuls and
iron rods against us. It was a close call indeed
- with us women and a saffron robed swami to the
rescue.

In my own neighbourhood - yes, the posh locality
where the genteel folks lived - we were the main
links to the outside world - and for providing
daily necessities to an Army general, a Navy
Commander and their families, who dared not stir
out of their homes. Thanks to sympathetic
individuals and a service jeep, I was able to
rescue another friend, a Sikh Naval officer and
his family from their trans Yamuna home, hidden
under a camouflage of gunny sacks and razais.
Imagine his feelings.
Door to door appeals for medicines and clothing ,
were more often than not  greeted with the words
`they deserved it' and doors slammed in the faces
of the kids who volunteered to go around
collecting. More reality bytes - what values had
our education system in secular India actually
taught us? Clearly secularism was skin deep.

We were all in a state of shock. Could this
really be happening in the capital city of `free,
democratic and secular' India? What had happened
to all the constitutional assurances, our vision
and dreams of a plural, diverse, tolerant society
? All that was dealt  a mortal blow in November
1984 and the script was already being written for
Godhra, Gujarat. Criminalisation and
communalization  increasingly became the warp and
weft of our political structure used to good
effect in both 1984 and in  2002 to turn
neighbours against each other.

Soon India will celebrate yet another
Independence Day. The familiar rituals will be
re-enacted from the ramparts of the Red Fort, and
we will in all probability revert to business as
usual. If this is to change and if the nation is
to introspect, then it is time to cry halt to the
blame game and to point out that the Emperors -
be they green, blue, red or saffron, truly have
no clothes . The Nanavati Commission report -
inadequate as it is - provides us with an
invaluable opportunity to introspect, and to
begin to put right the terribly flawed electoral,
legal and political systems which have been
allowed to flourish and proliferate.

It is time for a rigorous national audit - of our
institutions, our structures, our educational,
political, judicial and other systems. The
collapse of Mumbai in the recent rains, was just
one dramatic instance of the many fronts on which
governments have failed to deliver. This is the
challenge we face - it is time for `we the
people' of India to stand up and be counted. Our
failure to do so at this time can carry serious
consequences for our common futures.

[Lalita Ramdas has worked for over three decades
in the field of  education with deprived groups,
minorities and women through a range of
organizations. She has been active together with
her husband, Admiral L. Ramdas, in the Indo Pak
Peace process and the Movement for Nuclear
Disarmament. Recently she has featured as one of
the 91 Indian nominees, among the 1000 Women for
the Nobel Peace Prize 2005. She lives and works
out of a village near Alibag in the Konkan
region.]

o o o o

(ii)

Kashmir Times
August 14, 2005

DON'T SHIELD COMMUNAL KILLERS
THE NANAVATI REPORT AND AFTER
By Praful Bidwai

'The charred and hacked remains of the dead
eloquently described a horrible and heart-rending
tragedy. Women, children and a handful of [men],
hiding under dead bodies. were rescued by
reporters . They were emotionless. They had no
tears to shed. A three-year old girl, stepping
over the bodies of her father, three brothers and
countless others lying in the street, clung
helplessly to a reporter, pleading for help.
"Please take me home," she said..' -Newspaper
report form Trilokpuri, East Delhi, Nov 3, 1984,
where more than 350 Sikhs were gorily killed in
the preceding 36 hours. Yet, a police officer
told the reporters filing the story, "Nobody has
been killed in Trilokpuri". Shortly thereafter, a
Sikh youth, his stomach slashed, collapsed in
their arms.
The contrast between reality and the official
version of the horrific massacre that followed
the killing of Indira Gandhi by a Sikh guard
could not have been starker. As organised
violence raged through bustee after poor bustee
and colony after middle class colony of Delhi,
the police stood by and watched. Worse, in many
cases, they participated in the bloody carnage
and looting. The higher authorities had enough
warning of trouble within a few hours of Indira
Gandhi's assassination on October 31, but did
nothing to prevent it.
This writer had just flown into Delhi from Bombay
that morning and witnessed the events from a
vantage point. By the early afternoon, tension
was palpable in the air. False and malicious
rumours flew thick and fast about how "thousands
of Sikhs" had celebrated the assassination by
distributing sweets. "They must be taught a
lesson", it was whispered. President Zail Singh's
car was stoned as he left the All-India Institute
of Medical Sciences.
By the evening, systematic killing and arson had
begun-at the behest of Congress le, who mobilised
mobs crying for "revenge". Columns of smoke rose
all over the city. Cars and two- and
three-wheelers were stopped to check the identity
of the passengers. All bearded men were
threatened. Soon, Sikh truckers started being
"necklaced": lorry tyres containing kerosene were
hung around their necks and they were burnt
alive. According to official accounts, as many as
2,733 people were killed in the worst orgy of
communal violence in Independent India, barring
Gujarat.
Twentyone years and nine enquiry commissions
later, the perpetrators of the carnage have still
not been brought to book. Not a single politician
or policeman has been convicted. A small fraction
(only 13 people) of the thousands who killed,
raped and burned have been held guilty. All hopes
that the Nanavati Commission, appointed five
years ago to inquire into the orgy of killing,
rape and pillage, would spur adequate corrective
action now stand belied. The government's Action
Taken Report (ATR), tabled six months after the
Commission submitted its own report, is yet
another black mark in this prolonged cover-up of
the state's collusion with premeditated killings
and its repeated betrayal of the victims.
The Nanavati report is far from perfect, indeed
shoddy in parts. It recognises that the violence
was "systematic", "organised", and conducted
under "instructions", but fails to fix
culpability, especially at the apex level. The
judge was working within the narrow confines of
the evidence presented to him and did not demand
fresh investigations. Evidence in cases of
serious communal violence can often be
manipulated: testimonies can be withdrawn or
changed. Key witnesses can be bribed or
bludgeoned into changing their statements to
weaken the case against powerful individuals.
This is how those who instigated the violence to
"teach the Sikh community a lesson" tried to
escape the law's net.
The role of Congress politicians in plotting and
organising the carnage has been well-documented.
They took their cue from the moral ambiguity of
Rajiv Gandhi who infamously said: "When a big
tree falls, the earth shakes." The coterie around
Rajiv Gandhi, including Messrs Jagdish Tytler,
H.K.L. Bhagat, Sajjan Kumar, Arun Nehru and Kamal
Nath instigated or condoned a campaign of mayhem
and killing. Some of this was carefully recorded
by citizens' groups like Nagarik Ekta Manch,
which interviewed thousands of victims' families
and eyewitnesses and produced a booklet entitled
"Who Are the Guilty?" It's truly regrettable that
nine official commissions couldn't achieve even
this much despite all the authority, time and
resources at their command.
Justice Nanavati, for incomprehensible reasons,
found the Delhi authorities collectively guilty,
but individually innocent-a contradiction in
terms. He also held that top Delhi administration
officials, including Lt Governor P.G. Gavai and
Police Commissioner S.C. Tandon, should not be
prosecuted because they have retired. This makes
no sense. You can't accuse the police of
"colossal failure" to maintain law and order and
of "collusion" and "ineffectiveness" in stopping
the looting and killing-and yet let them off the
hook. Mr Tandon may have retired, but he is
liable for actions committed while holding a high
office. As for Mr Gavai, he took his orders from
the Union home ministry, as the Lt Governor of
any Union Territory must. He seems to have been
made a scapegoat.
It's recorded that Mr Gavai ordered Mr Tandon to
call in the Army in the morning of November 1.
However, the Army arrived in all six police
districts of Delhi only on November 3, by which
time hundreds of lives had been lost. Mr Gavai
now says even Chief of Army Staff Arun Vaidya was
indifferent when he asked him about the delay in
deployment. Gen Vaidya said: "These things take
time." And Home Minister Narasimha Rao was worse.
He was only interested in protecting his friends;
and he "hid like a rat" for three days after the
violence broke out. Clearly, there was no
political will to stop the violence, and later,
to punish its perpetrators. The Congress party is
also trying to pretend that only "local-level"
leaders had a hand in instigating the violence.
This simply won't do.
Even more disgracefully, the Centre failed to
commit itself to taking action even where the
Nanavati report warrants it. It's only under the
Left's and his UPA allies' pressure that Dr
Manmohan Singh asked Mr Tytler to resign, and Mr
Sajjan Kumar too made his inglorious exit. But
there was "credible evidence" that he "very
probably" organised anti-Sikh attacks. The
government originally tried to dilute the
observation as amounting to "probabilistic"
evidence. But all criminal cases are registered
on probabilistic evidence! It's only conviction
that needs proof beyond doubt.
Similarly, the ATR rules out prosecuting Mr
Bhagat because of his poor health and Mr Kamal
Nath because of a changed affidavit by a key
witness. Poor health can justify a lighter
sentence, but not the absence of prosecution.
Thus, Chilean dictator Pinochet is being tried
today for his horrendous crimes of the 1970s and
1980s-despite his advanced age. Similarly, it's
for a trial court to evaluate the worth of the
evidence against Mr Nath. But the ATR drops their
prosecution on flimsy, unconvincing grounds.
This is a travesty of justice. Not only will it
alienate most Sikhs; it will horrify the public
at large and announce to the world that impunity
for grave crimes is the rule in India: the
powerful cannot be brought to book; the rich
rarely go to jail. The law is only applied
against the underprivileged and powerless. The
UPA must not vacillate over fulfilling its
"solemn promise" to pursue investigations against
all specific individuals named by Mr Nanavati. It
must formally charge them and rehabilitate the
victims. It must set up special courts to try all
the accused who figure in the reports of earlier
commissions, including 72 policemen.
A higher principle is involved here. If India is
to live up to the great democratic aspirations of
its people, it must establish and affirm the rule
of law-systematically, painstakingly and
impartially. This is a precondition for democracy
and political legitimacy. The anti-Sikh pogrom
presents a special challenge-and an opportunity
to do justice to the victims of a gruesome
massacre by applying the law to the powerful
people who caused it.
In a sense, taking prompt and serious action on
the Nanavati report will be a prelude to the
Ultimate Test the nation faces: namely, denying
impunity to the perpetrators of crimes against
humanity in Gujarat. The Gujarat pogrom was even
greater in scale and brutality than the Delhi
carnage, especially in the bestial quality of the
killings and the sexual violence. It was also
more directly instigated by the state. The global
public has not forgotten what happened in Gujarat
and who was responsible for it.
India's claim to high stature in the world does
not lie in a Security Council seat or in nuclear
weapons, and not even in economic might. It lies
in democracy and pluralism. This is where our
people's interests and their greatest
achievements are also located. That claim will be
reduced to a farce if heinous mass-level crimes
and barbaric forms of collective victimisation go
unpunished. That would be a tragedy not just for
Delhi's Sikhs or Gujarat's Muslims, but for all
Indian citizens.

o o o o

(iii)

The Sunday Express
August 14, 2005

SUM OF ALL FEARS
RESENTFUL, TIRED AND HURT, A CLUTCH OF SIKH
FAMILIES FROM BOKARO TO KANPUR REMEMBERS THE
HORRIFIC AFTERMATH OF OCTOBER 31, 1984. The
Sunday Express goes visiting the tragedy beyond
Delhi
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=76209

______

[4]

The Telegraph
August 15, 2005

BLIND TO NEPAL'S REPUBLICAN TRENDS

Bharat Bhushan

A political paradigm shift is taking place in
Nepal. The people of Nepal are questioning every
assumption - from the institution of the monarchy
to the role of the political parties and the
Maoist agenda. Nothing is as it was six months
ago.

There is probably more pro-monarchical sentiment
in India's ministry of external affairs and in
some political parties in Delhi than in the
entire opinion-making elite of Nepal. While
Indians continue to see the monarchy as a one of
the twin pillars of stability in Nepal, the
Nepalese themselves see it for what it is - a
rapidly sinking pillar that will bring the entire
edifice down.

Yet, on Friday, the national security council
reiterated its faith in Nepalese monarchy. The
prime minister, Manmohan Singh, still thinks that
King Gyanendra can be converted from an executive
to a constitutional monarch. The NSC press
release says that it is against disturbing the
"balance" between constitutional monarchy and
multi-party democracy. That, it believes, would
not be in the long-term interests of the Nepalese
people. This is pure uninformed assertion.

Yet, within Nepal more and more people believe
that the king will have to go, the only question
is when? It is amazing that the Nepali Congress,
the largest political party of the country which
actually sacked its student leaders for their
republicanism once, is likely to drop references
to constitutional monarchy in its resolutions to
be adopted at its national convention at the end
of August.

Several significant changes have occurred in
Nepal over the last six months of the King's
direct rule. Public protests are undoubtedly on a
slow track but the battle of ideas has been
raging as never before. The protests by political
parties have been sporadic and are not expected
to take off in a big way till the monsoon ends,
and the largest of them, the Nepali Congress,
holds its four-day national convention. On the
outcome of the convention would depend not only
the future of the party but also of Nepal.

Yet students and professionals - lawyers,
doctors, engineers, and journalists - have come
out in the streets in large numbers. The open
protest of the government employees - especially
non-gazetted ones - is perhaps the best indicator
of the lack of support for Gyanendra's rule. They
are totally dependent on the state and yet they
protested in the streets against changes in Civil
Service Act to take away their trade union rights.

Protest by civil so- ciety organizations against
the king is drawing a mass response - this was
most recently demonstrated when thousands of
people sat through in pouring rain in Kathmandu
for several hours at an event organized to
challenge the king's actions.

Those who had hoped that King Gyanendra would
reduce corruption and give good governance have
been disappointed. The way the state machinery
was used to get customers for the king's
son-in-law's mobile telecom company was there for
everyone to see. In the name of providing good
governance, convicts (junior minister Jagat
Gochan) and bank loan defaulters (vice-chairman
of the king's governing council, Tulsi Giri) had
been appointed ministers.

The economic situation in Nepal has also worsened
in the last six months. There is no fresh flow of
foreign direct investment and earlier investment
is exiting. Nepal has precious little to export.
With travel advisories aplenty in America and in
Europe, dollar-paying tourism is down. There is
no development activity. One-third of the entire
budget goes directly to defence and no one knows
about the invisible flows. To raise revenue, this
year a 5 per cent tax has been imposed on
textbooks. People are openly saying that books
are being taxed to buy guns.

Although India loves to berate Nepal's political
parties for not getting their act together, seven
mainstream political parties have in fact joined
hands. They are: the Nepali Congress, Nepali
Congress (Democratic), Communist Party on Nepal
(UML), Jan Morcha, Samyukta Vam Morcha, Nepal
Sadbhavna Party (Anandi Devi) and Nepal Mazdoor
Kisan Party.

They are unanimous about a dialogue with the
Maoists. But they have nagging doubts about the
Maoist professions of faith in multi-party
democracy, and of respect for the rule of law and
civil liberties.

The informal talks between the political parties
and the Maoists seem to have gone off well.
However, the political parties have shied away
from nominating an official team for a formal
dialogue. A lot of mutual confidence building is
still required though almost all the parties
agree, directly or indirectly, on the need to
elect a constituent assembly.

The most significant development has been a
serious rethink among the Maoists. After much
deliberation and debate, the Maoists have come to
the following conclusions:

a. That the main enemy in Nepal is the monarchy
and that the focus should be on attacking the
king rather than anyone else;

b. That it is not feasible to capture power militarily and retain it.

c. That they should evolve a common minimum
agenda to fight the monarchy with the political
parties through a process of dialogue;

d. That if the political parties do not agree to
the immediate removal of the king and the
ushering in of a democratic republic, then the
process of electing a constituent assembly should
be explored with them;

e. If the settlement is for a constituent
assembly, then the armed forces of the two sides
should be managed preferably by the UN or
otherwise, by any neutral party acceptable to
Nepal's two biggest immediate neighbours, India
and China.

The two most important decisions are that the
Maoists see the king as the main enemy and that
given the international situation they do not see
the feasibility of sustaining a classic
insurrectionary revolution in Nepal.

The biggest contribution of the Maoist ideologue,
Baburam Bhattarai, lies in situating not only the
Nepalese Maoist movement but also other third
world communist movements in the international
situation, raising questions of political
strategy about how they might survive today. He
has argued that unlike the Fifties and Sixties,
there is no prospect for a communist revolution
in Nepal seeking sustenance from friendly
movements or states. As in Latin America, a
momentary capture of power could be subverted in
no time.

Given the geo-strategic position of Nepal,
sandwiched as it is between China and India, the
Maoists believe that Nepal cannot choose a
political path that both states find unpalatable.
Nor do the Maoists think that given its low level
of industrial development, Nepal can leapfrog to
a socialist or communist stage without going
through a phase of bourgeois democracy.

After asking themselves whether the king or
Indian expansionism was the bigger threat, the
Maoists have decided that the king is the bigger
enemy. They have thus the option now of seeking
the help of democratic forces in India in their
struggle for democracy in Nepal.

From these crucial political formulations follows
the newfound desire of the Maoists to negotiate
with the political parties. These two forces -
the parliamentary political parties and the
Maoists - are coming together, and the king's
days are numbered. But it appears that the South
Block mandarins are determined not to see this.

______

[5]

SAHARA TIME, 20 AUGUST 2005

AYODHYA : THE AFTERMATH OF THE TERRORIST ATTACK
by Subhash Gatade

The terrorist attack in Ayodhya, which had the
potential of igniting passions, has already
become part of history. Life inside Ayodhya -
Faizabad has again limped back to normalcy.
Today, apart from the extra units of security
personnel, which have been brought in to
supposedly provide extra security, no change is
visible in the ambience.

Ofcourse barring some fanatic elements it has
always been the case that, ordinary local people,
to whichever faith they belonged to, have tried
to maintain harmonious relations with each other.
It has been reported umpteen times how the
'sanjhi sanskriti' ( common culture) has evolved
at the grassroot level since centuries with a
intermingling of cultures and close
interpenetration of economies.

Interestingly while the ordinary people have
heaved a sigh of relief, the triumvirate of the
VHP-BJP-RSS has not taken very kindly to these
developments. Much on the lines of the arrest of
Shankaracharya Jayendra Saraswati they had dreams
that they would be able to cash in on the 'anger'
of the people. But nothing of that sort came out.
Tired of emotive issues which affect their own
lives and feeling cheated at the hands of these
selfproclaimed upholders of Hindutva, people just
did not care when the saffron brigade gave a call
for agitation over insult to 'hindu' identity.
Excepting the few BJP ruled states one noticed
only few symbolic actions elsewhere.

Considering the fact that people at large were
losing their interest in this issue which would
prove to be a deathknell to their own brand of
politics of 'othering' they tried in vain all
sorts of ways to foment fresh bout of tension.
And ranging from the likes of Lalkrishna Advani
to the local level leaders of the VHP, everybody
tried all sorts of ways to create fresh wedge
between the communities. While Mr Advani, who
himself is an accused in the Babri Mosque
demolition case, tried once again to committ
himself to the 'unfinished task' of temple
building and appealed to the religious minorities
to be sensitive towards the feelings of the
Hindus, others from his ilk were more direct. In
the public meeting held in Ayodhya itself they
had tried to demonise the whole Muslim community
and asked for their eviction from the periphery
of the acquired land in Ayodhya.

Ramvilas Vedanti, a VHP leader from Ayodhya who
received enough bytes the day the terrorist
attack occurred had spewed venom , "Muslims
should be shifted from the adjoining areas and
the localities acquired in Ayodhya. There will be
no guarantee of security of the Ram Lalla till
they are not shifted." Acharya Giriraj Kishore,
the vice president of the VHP categorily made the
same demand in his New Delhi press conference.
And now comes the news that on 9 th August a
group of sadhus and activists of an outfit
stormed the graveyard to dig the graves of the
five militants killed in the recent attack. They
demanded that the graves be shifted from within
the Chaudah Kosi Parikrama area of the temple
town.

Ofcourse it was not for the first time that
attempts had been made by the Hindutva goons to
target all Muslims with impunity. It was only
last year that they had launched an agitation
against the state government's plan to provide
houses to poor Muslims living in Bacchara
Sultanpur Mohalla in Faizabad, which is around
two kilometers from Ayodhya. Their contention was
that they would not let the government construct
an 'I.S.I. Camp' near this sensitive area and if
at all it is to be done then it should be done
outside the 'holy borders' of the city.

As things stand today it is being reported that
the much dreaded Lashkar-e-Toiba was behind this
attack. The law and order people seem to be
patting themselves on their backs for
apprehending the terrorists involved in the
attack in record time. But some questions refuse
to die. Why the  utter silence over the
deliberate attempts by the Hindutva brigade to
spread communal disharmony in the aftermath of
the attack ? It is clear even to a layperson that
despite delivering hatespeeches which is a
congnizable offence neither the Vedantis nor the
Kishores nor the Uma Bharatis were even sent
summons to explain their conduct. Of course as
far as the basic provisions of the law are
concerned they are quite clear. Under the various
provisions of the Indian law ( Section 153 A, 153
B,, 298, 505 etc  ) promoting enmity between
different groups on grounds of religion is a
recognized criminal offence for which they could
be punished with three years of imprisonment.

Everybody knows that it is not a question of
legal provisions. It is basically a question of
political will to show whether one really is
concerned about the acute sense of deprivation
and insecurity which pervades muslim community in
India in general and Uttar Pradesh in particular.
The recent findings of the Prime Minister's high
level committee rather further corroborate this.
A member of this committee shared his findings
after a three day sitting in Lucknow "Muslims
felt they were treated like second grade citizens
and their condition, at times, was worse than
other deprived sections, with accusations of the
police and PAC being prejudiced when it came to
muslims."

Is not it time that serious attempts are made to
rectify the situation ! May be Uttar Pradesh a
harbinger of change in this direction.

______

[6]

DHARNA FOR EMPLOYMENT GUARANTEE ON 18th AUGUST

A one-day dharna will be held at Jantar Mantar
(New Delhi) on Thursday 18th August, to protest
against the flaws of the National Rural
Employment Guarantee Bill (NREGB) and demand
immediate pro-people amendments.  The dharna may
be followed by other forms of action including a
hunger strike, which could be indefinite.

The "revised" NREGB is expected to be discussed
in Parliament on 17th August.  The revised Bill
has not yet been made public, but it is almost
certain to have major flaws, such as the absence
of any time frame for extension to the whole of
rural India and the absence of individual work
entitlements.  The main objective of the dharna
on 18th August is to ensure that the Bill is
suitably amended before being placed and passed,
within the monsoon session of Parliament which
ends on 26th August.

Please join the dharna (and possible hunger
strike) in full strength.  The dharna will start
at 10 am on 18th August and will continue for the
whole day.

This is a follow-up of the Rozgar Adhikar Yatra
(which travelled through ten states before the
monsoon session in Parliament), an initiative of
People's Action for Employment Guarantee (PAEG).

For further information please send a line to rozgar at gmail.com [. . .].

______

[7]

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia. SACW is an independent & non-profit
citizens wire service run since 1998 by South
Asia Citizens Web: www.sacw.net/
SACW archive is available at:  bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

Sister initiatives :
South Asia Counter Information Project :  snipurl.com/sacip
South Asians Against Nukes: www.s-asians-against-nukes.org
Communalism Watch: communalism.blogspot.com/