SACW | 24 Oct. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Oct 24 03:58:24 CDT 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE   |  24 October,  2003

Announcements:
a)  The South Asia Citizens Web web site
continues to be down, users are invited to use
Google cache till further notice.  'South Asia
Counter Information Project' a back-up, archive
area and sister site of SACW can be accessed at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/
b) All  SACW and associated list members in India
wanting to consult web sites being blocked at
groups.yahoo.com   may try to bypass the 'ban'
via:
http://www.proxify.com
http://www.multiproxy.org/multiproxy.htm  [a more detailed list is given below]

+++++

[1] Legislator Fights Pakistan's 'Blood' Marriages (Juliette Terzieff)
[2] Ayesha and the Scarf (Ram Puniyani)
[3] Ayodhya's Forgotten Muslim Past (Yoginder Sikand)
[4] Press Release by AIDWA
[5] Little More Vibrancy and Gujarat Volcano Would Explode (Digant Oza)
[6] Public Meeting on the Battle for Justice  in Gujarat (31 Oct., Bombay)

--------------

[1]

Womensenews.com
October 20, 2003

Legislator Fights Pakistan's 'Blood' Marriages
By Juliette Terzieff
WeNews correspondent

A Pakistan legislator is challenging the
centuries-old tradition of "blood marriages," the
use of forced unions to settle inter-clan
disputes. Her campaign seeks to outlaw the
practice that continues across the country.

LAHORE, Pakistan (WOMENSENEWS)--Humaira Awais
Shahid's campaign to outlaw forced marriages of
women in Pakistan began with a letter from an
illiterate girl named Sitara Isakhel.

A tribal jirga, or council, last year sentenced
the 17-year old and her 8-year old sister,
Sameera, to marry members of a more powerful
tribe after their brother was accused of
impregnating a woman he was not married to.

"They didn't listen to us even though we swore on
the Koran," says Sitara Isakhel's December 2002
letter. "The jirga's decision was such that the
land disappeared from under our feet and the sky
blew open. We are too afraid to go to the police
and I am writing to you in secret. Soon our
funeral will take place: we are to be married
within the next two months."

At the time, Shahid, now a member of the Punjab
Provincial Assembly, was researching violations
of women's rights for her Lahore-based newspaper
Khabrain. After receiving the impassioned plea
from a friend of Sitara Isakhel, who also helped
pen the letter, Shahid began a journey that would
take her through the corridors of Pakistan power
on a quest to quash the centuries-old tradition
known as vinni.

Her first stop was Mianwali in the central Punjab
province, where Shahid, 32, led an investigation
into the fate of the two Isakhel sisters. She
challenged the local jirga and the police over
the illegal marriage of minors. The marriages
were dissolved this spring and a monetary
settlement worked out between the families.

"Every victim I spoke to actually expected me to
do something for them and others like them,"
recalls Shahid of the past year.

"The more I probed the issue, the more I realized
the extent and acceptance of such practices and
the desperate need for such tribal traditions to
be legislated and monitored," adds the mother of
two young children.

Tribal Justice

Vinni, which comes from the Pashtun word for
blood, vanay, is a centuries-old practice in
Pakistan and parts of Afghanistan of giving women
into marriage as compensation in cases of murder,
territorial disputes or other serious
disagreements. The "aggrieved" party normally
seeks young, beautiful, virgin girls to assuage
their need for revenge and in the process forever
damaging the reputation of the "guilty" family.
The custom is also known as swara in the northern
areas of Pakistan. It is common in three of the
four Pakistan provinces, including the Northwest
Frontier, Sindh and Punjab.

In exchange, the accused parties--almost
exclusively male--escape further punishment.

"The councils play a major role in this, as the
decisions are taken and implemented by them,"
Shahid tells Women's eNews in an interview. "And
in most cases, no matter the evidence, the
panchayat (tribal elders) rule in favor of the
more influential party."

Standard rates do apply. One girl above the age
of 7, or two girls younger than 7, is viewed as
commonly acceptable compensation for murder.

Women given in vinni, say investigators, live
their lives in perpetual bondage. Denied proper
food, clothing and medical care, they are
considered the lowest member in their husband's
family. Rarely are they allowed any contact with
their parents once the marriage is consummated.

Brides are sometimes sold off to other members of
the receiving family or are used merely as unpaid
servant-mistresses.

"It's an extension of the old feudal tribal
system which holds 'zar, zamin, zan' (money,
land, women) as the sources of all conflict,
which effectively reduces women to property,"
says Lahore-based criminal lawyer Uzma Saeed.
"Often there is not even an official wedding
ceremony performed, the woman is just handed over
like she was a cow or a buffalo."

While Pakistan law, including the constitution,
protects the inviolable rights of every Pakistan
citizen, they are rarely enforced especially in
the rural areas away from the prying eyes of the
nation's liberals. A 1991 amendment to the
Pakistan Penal Code, incorporating the Qisas
(punishment equal to the crime) and Diyat (blood
money) Ordinance, was widely interpreted by
tribal elders as official sanction for vinni
practices.

"We do have a lot of laws protecting women," said
Saeed, the lawyer. "But it's a symptom of our
patriarchal society that they remain
unimplemented with social and customary bias
overruling the law from tribal elders, to police
officials, up through the judiciary. The
customary practices, like vinni, are used to
perpetuate the status quo, for powerful people,
landowners, to demonstrate their supremacy; for
men to dominate women."

Pushing for Change

Shahid, a journalist by trade, entered the Punjab
Provincial Assembly after nationwide elections
last October, excited at the prospect of having
an official say in policymaking decisions.

"To my horror, most of the time women aren't
really allowed to speak up in debates and not ask
questions. It's like we are just there to amuse
the male legislators," she says sadly.

Challenging an engrained social practice certainly was not on the agenda.

But the politically inexperienced Shahid pushed
forward, presenting a resolution last February
calling on the federal government to enact
legislation against vinni, setting a five-year
imprisonment for any person involved in ordering
or carrying out a sentence issued by the tribal
elders. The resolution passed unanimously.

"Truth be told, half of them didn't even know
what they were voting on," she recalls with a
laugh. "For weeks after, other members came up to
ask me what precisely vinni is and, to their
credit, once I explained, they gave me full
support."

Over the ensuing three months, Shahid enlisted
the help of lawyers, human-rights activists and
politicians to create a draft bill, which wound
its way through the Punjab Law Department and
then the Home Department and has now landed with
the Federal Interior Ministry for approval. Once
the ministry signs off on the draft, Shahid will
have to persuade a member of the National
Assembly to sponsor the bill and press for a
final vote.

"We are all holding our breath and saying our
prayers that the law will go forward and be
passed, because at least if we have good laws,
even if the implementation is uneven, there'll
still be good results," says Farzana Mumtaz, a
researcher at the Aurat Foundation, a
non-governmental organization with offices across
Pakistan that highlights the plight of women.

For her willingness to stand up and speak of the
politically unspeakable, Shahid has earned
widespread kudos from human-rights organizations
and women's rights advocacy groups.

"There are a very small number of people willing
to step up and open their mouths publicly about
this issue, even though most people condemn the
practice," Mumtaz says.

"Publicity is paramount," the researcher
believes. "In the cases that have been
highlighted by Mrs. Shahid and others, the victim
may not always have gotten redress, but it's
likely the villagers would think twice before
handing out similar judgments in the future and
that is a step forward."

Parallel with the growing publicity and
reservations about the practice is an increasing
public willingness to speak out against it,
according to Saeed, the lawyer. "There was a time
when 90 percent of these cases went unreported as
families feared slow state reaction and
retribution by the more powerful clans," she
said, "but the number has now dropped to about 60
or 65 percent."

Confident her vinni bill will pass, Shahid has
already begun looking at other inhumane practices
to tackle during her five-year tenure as a
provincial legislator. In August, she put forth a
resolution calling on the federal government to
amend the Pakistan Penal Code to classify
throwing acid as attempted murder. The practice
is widespread and can permanently scar a woman.
Again, her resolution passed unanimously.

"Eventually my new colleagues may get tired of
all my pushing and prodding," says Shahid. "These
issues are just not a priority, when they should
be, and I'll keep fighting to make them until
women get the justice they deserve."

Juliette Terzieff is a freelance journalist
currently based in Pakistan who has worked for
the San Francisco Chronicle, Newsweek, CNN
International, and the London Sunday Times.

____

[2]

Issues in Secular Politics, October-II 2003
[22 October  2003]
------
Ayesha and the Scarf

Ram Puniyani

While walking down the pavement a few days after the
25th August (2003) blasts in Mumbai, I got a bit of a
shock when I saw Ayesha covering her head with scarf,
duppata. I have known her from her childhood and her
father happened to be well acquainted to me. She is
the only child of her beard-sporting father. She grew
up as a bright young child in the English medium
school. One could never see any typical Muslim
identity from her dress. So in a way I was taken aback
with her taking duppatta on her head. Since this has been a
comparatively recent phenomenon, one presumes
this way of putting the duppata has been a post
Gujarat carnage effect for her.

While seeing her like that some more incidents flashed
instantly. It was during the Mumbai riots of 92-93
that my doctoral student Salim, who earlier was
indistinguishable from any other student, started
sporting a typical Muslim beard and walked into my
office one of the days telling me that if we have to
die like this why should we not we kill few before
dying. It was a very traumatic experience for me to be
unable to convince my student that violence is no
answer to the ongoing anti Muslim pogrom. It was
during that period only that one of my friend born in
a Christian family, who was an atheist,
told me to my utter surprise that in the aftermath of
the Mumbai riots he has started going to the Church
regularly, essentially searching for his community
association, which may be the only savior in such
situations.

One more incident at personal level is
worth recalling here. One of the activists of
Muslim womenís rights group confessed that their
movement got serious set back in the wake of Mumbai
riots. This movement of Muslim women had primarily
been demanding abolition of triple talaq, end of
polygamy and opposition to burqua. This had started
picking up slowly in mid eighties, had a setback post
Mumbai riots, came up a bit later and again was pushed
back seriously in the wake of Gujarat riots!

Of course, Mumbai riots were a severe jolt to me as
well. But initially it was difficult for me to
comprehend as to why Salim has to grow beard, why he
has to go to the level of insanity in talking the
language of an eye for an eye, knowing fully well that
in this case it is the whole body and not just the eye
which is at stake, knowing fully well that this is not
going to compensate for the lives of coreligionists
who have lost their lives. It gradually dawned upon me
that a life lost in violence sets in chain of
socio-cultural thought process and makes the holes in
the feeling of security of the community and that of
the person.

In the times when Osama bin Laden and Kashmir centered
terrorism is stalking the globe and the country, one
can only feel the heat through the expressions of
communities and people in their lifestyles. Narendra
Modi demonstrated the limit of this when without
naming the local Muslim community he could give a
clear message that Muslims are terrorists and so need
to be given a punishment. How could Mr. Modi give this
message? How could the average common sense accept
that the neighboring Muslim deserves the same
treatment, which should be meted out to the criminal
terrorists? In a way the process of demonisation of
Muslims community, which has been, going on at social
level found its culmination in the Gujarat carnage.
Now when one talks of terrorist it is not even
necessary to use to prefix Muslim, as Terrorist has
become a synonym of Muslims.

One wonders as to what must have been the plight of an
average Sikh during the Khalistani movement. One
wonders what must be the image of an average Tamil in
Srilanka where LTTE has been indulging in the acts of
terror at mega scale. What impact Dhanuís acting as a
live bomb to kill Rajiv Gandhi, must have had on the
image of Srilankan Tamils in India. It is fortunate
that these acts of terror have not crossed the
critical level where the whole community continues to
be branded in that stereotype.

Coming back to Muslims, Islam and Ayesha, one is
struck by the critical levels having been crossed many
times over. Multiple factors have contributed to
stereotypes about Muslims. To begin with the
continuation of Pre Indepencedence communal politics
of Muslims surfaced in the decades of 80s to play the
retrograde role in the Shah Bano case in particular.
The more assertive Hindu communalism kept going up and
up all through again getting its critical mass in the
decade of 80s when it used the Meenakshipuram
conversions of Dalits to Islam, the Shah Bano case,
and the rising Dalit presence in the social space, to
launch the Ram Temple campaign. This campaign took the
anti Muslim propaganda, spread through RSS Shakhas in
a consistent manner from decades, to the higher
levels. And from this time on every incident served to
increase the heat of communalism. The riots, which
accompanied this politics, saw that the number of
victims from Muslim community in proportionately much
much large in numbers. Also it was successfully
propagated that Muslims start the riots and than
Hindus just retaliate. This has no grain of truth in
it whatsoever, but in a polarizing society this
formulation found an easy acceptance. This was further
compounded by the problem of adverse Indo Pak
relations on the issue of Kashmir and alienation of
Kashmiri youth.

The phenomenon of  ìIslamic terrorismî emerges from
three major components. The first and major being the
formation of Israel, the plight of Palestinian
refugees. This is closely associated with the US lust
for control over oil resources, its intervention in
Afghanistan through Jihadi Muslims to evacuate the
Communist occupation, its alliance with the despotic
rulers and curbing of democracy in this region with an
overall view that it is easier to manipulate the
Sheikhs and dictators than the democracies. The
unresolved Indo-Pak relations getting manifested in
the Kashmir imbroglio is another major factor
contributing to the triad of reasons contributing to
ëIslamic terrorismí. One has to slightly introspect as
to what is primary. Terrorism or US imperialist
polices of control over oil resources? What is
primary, Palestinian militants or the Israeli
highhandedness in controlling vast lands or Palestine?
What is primary, the terrorism of Kashmiri militants
or the alienation of Kashmiris? The Gujarat Muslim
revange group or the Gujarat carnage? Here off course
Modi and his ilk wants us to belive that Godhra, an
act of Muslim terrorism in Godhra led to Gujarat, but
off course this popularized version has too many holes
in it to believe that. In nutshell, whether terrorism
is a disease by itself or whether it a manifestation
of the deeper diseases needs to be understood.

The Gujarat carnage has many a lessons to learn from.
Two of these stick out in prominence. When an affluent
and socially prominent Ahsan Jaffery is killed after
being mutilated what message it sends to millions of
less privileged Muslims? When the Muslim womenís being
is violated, what signal it sends to millions of women
of that community? And to top it all who than gives
the shelter to these hapless survivors of the
violation of their democratic rights? As witnessed in
Gujarat, it was the mosque or the Muslim run charity,
which gave shelter to the survivors. What message it
sends for the whole community except increasing the
hold of obscurantist mullahs and orthodox elements in
the community.

My atheist friend born in a Christian family starts
going to Church when he witnesses the violence against
another minority community. My research scholar Salim
grows the beard to show his Muslim identity in the
face the Mumbai riots, can Ayesha be far behind in
succumbing to the pressures of the same elements to
start putting the duppatta on her head? Will Salimís
progeny take to terrorism or will they come to take
the path, which their father had taken before the
92-93 riots in Mumbai? Will Ayesha graduate into a
burqua clad women in due course or will she revert to
the earlier carefree self of pre-pogrom phase is a
question which has no clear answers today. If we can
provide a situation where Ayesha is not intimidated by
the violations outside, then the internal pressures
will get diluted. Its time we struggle against the
deeper disease which gives rise to the symptom of
terrorism rather than letting a particular religious
community be demonized by the vested elements globally
and locally.

_____

[3]

22 Oct 2003 10:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: yogi sikand <ysikand at yahoo.com>

Ayodhya's Forgotten Muslim Past

Yoginder Sikand

The Ayodhya controversy continues to drag on,
with no sign of any solution in sight. Hindutva
ideologues insist that Ayodhya must be theirs
alone. Reinventing tradition and myth, they claim
that Ayodhya has always been Hindu, thus
promoting it to the status of a Hindu Vatican.
Yet, as critical historians have pointed out,
this claim is completely unsubstantiated. In his
slim yet insightful booklet, 'Communal History
and Rama's Ayodhya', Professor Ram Sharan Sharma
writes, 'Ayodhya seems to have emerged as a place
of religious pilgrimage in medieval times.
Although chapter 85 of the Vishnu Smriti lists as
many as fifty-two places of pilgrimage, including
towns, lakes, rivers, mountains, etc., it does
not include Ayodhya in this list'.  Sharma also
notes that Tulsidas, who wrote the Ramcharitmanas
in 1574 at Ayodhya, does not mention it as a
place of pilgrimage.

Long before the emergence of the cult of Rama and
of Ayodhya as a place of pilgrimage in the
Brahminical tradition, the town is said to have
been a holy city for the Buddhists. As Buddhism
was forcefully challenged by Brahminical
revivalists in early medieval India, many
Buddhist shrines were taken over and converted
into Hindu temples. It is thus possible that
Ayodhya, too, met with the same fate. This
explains why some Buddhists today are demanding
that they be treated as an interested party in
the current dispute.

The Buddhist claim is not unfounded. According to
Buddhist tradition, Ayodhya, then known as Saket
or Kosala, was a major city in the kingdom of
Shuddhodhana, father of the Buddha. The fifth
century Chinese traveler Fa-hsien visited Ayodhya
and mentioned a tooth-stick of the Buddha in the
town that grew to a length of seven cubits,
which, despite being destroyed by the Brahmins,
managed to grow again. Two centuries later,
another Chinese Buddhist traveler Hsuien Tsang
came to Ayodhya, where he noted some three
thousand Buddhist monks with only a small number
of town's other inhabitants adhering to other
faiths. At this time Ayodhya had some one hundred
Buddhist monasteries and ten large Buddhist
temples. The Hindutva argument that Ayodhya has
always been a Hindu holy city is, as this clearly
suggests, patently untenable.

In the Hindutva imagination, the relation between
Muslims and Ayodhya is one characterized by
continuous large-scale destruction and bloodshed.
Serious historians have forcefully challenged
this image, and have pointed to the fact that the
spread of Islam and the emergence of Muslim
communities in the area owed principally not to
violent invaders but, rather, to the peaceful
missionary work of Sufi saints. Considerably
before the emergence of Ayodhya as the centre of
the cult of Rama, it appears that several Sufis
had settled in the town. With their message of
love and compassion, based on an ethical
monotheism, they attracted a large number of
followers, particularly among the 'low' castes,
victims of the Brahminical caste system. In other
words, Ayodhya's association with Islam and
Muslims dates to a period much before the
construction of the Babri Masjid in the sixteenth
century.

As many local Muslims themselves believe, Ayodhya
is a particularly blessed town. They consider it
to be the 'Khurd Mecca' or the 'small Mecca'
because of the large number of Muslim holy
personages who are believed to be buried therein.
These include, or so local tradition has it, two
prophets, Hazrat Sheesh, son of Adam, and Noah,
or Hazrat Nuh. In addition, there are said to be
more than eighty Sufi shrines or dargahs in
Ayodhya. Interestingly, most of these shrines
attract both Muslim as well as Hindu devotees.

A number of Sufis seem to have made Ayodhya their
centre for spiritual teaching and instruction
from as early as the twelfth century. One of the
first of these was one Qazi Qidwatuddin Awadhi,
who came to Ayodhya from Central Asia. He is said
to have been a disciple of Hazrat Usman Haruni,
the spiritual preceptor of India's most famous
Sufi saint, Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti of Ajmer.
Another great Muslim mystic of Ayodhya of
pre-Mughal was Shaikh Jamal Gujjari, of the
Firdaussiya Sufi silsilah. According to a popular
local story, the Shaikh would regularly go out of
his house carrying a large pot of rice on his
head, as the men of the Gujjar milkmen caste did,
which he would distribute among the poor and the
destitute of Ayodhya. This is how he earned the
title of 'Gujjari'. His spiritual preceptor, Musa
Ashiqan, who also lies buried in Ayodhya, would
liken his distributing food among the poor to
sharing the love of God with all mankind.

Ayodhya also seems to have been home to a number
of spiritual successors of the renowned
fourteenth century Sufi of Delhi, Khwaja
Nizamuddin Auliya. The most important of these
was the famous Sufi Shaikh Nasiruddin
Chiragh-i-Dilli, who lies buried in what is today
New Delhi. Shaikh Nasiruddin was born in Ayodhya,
where he learnt the Qur'an from one Shaikh
Shamsuddin Yahya Awadhi. At the age of forty, he
left Ayodhya for Delhi to live with Khwaja
Nizamuddin Auliya. Yet, he would often return to
Ayodhya to visit his relatives and make disciples
who, in turn, grew into great men of religion.
These included people such as Shaikh Zainuddin
Ali Awadhi, Shaikh Fatehullah Awadhi and Allama
Kamaluddin Awadhi. Other khulafa or spiritual
deputies of Khwaja Nizamuddin Auliya from Ayodhya
include Shaikh Jamaluddin Awadhi, Qazi Muhiuddin
Kashani, Maulana Qawamuddin Awadhi and Shaikh
Alauddin Nilli.

Ayodhya is also home to one of the few shrines of
female Sufi saints, the dargah of Badi Bua or
Badi Bibi, said to have been the sister of Sheikh
Nasiruddin Chiragh-i Dilli. She is said to have
been particularly beautiful, because of which
many men offered to marry her. She, however,
remained unmarried throughout her life, devoting
herself to serving God and the poor. When she was
asked why she refused to marry she would answer,
'I only love God and nothing else'. She is said
to have been greatly troubled by the local
mullahs, perhaps because of her refusal to marry.
One day, so the story goes, the mullahs of the
town appeared before her, insisting that if she
were really a pious Muslim she should follow in
the path of the Prophet Muhammad and marry. To
this she replied that she indeed did follow in
the path of the Prophet and offered to get
married, but laid down the condition that her
husband must be a truly pious man. The Kotwal,
chief police officer, of the town, who was
attracted to her, dispatched a messenger to her
asking for her hand in marriage. Badi Bua
declined to speak through a messenger and asked
the Kotwal to come before her himself. The Kotwal
willingly complied.

When the Kotwal appeared before her, Badi Bua
asked him why he wanted to marry her. His reply
was that he was in love with her eyes.  Without a
moment's hesitation, so the story goes, she
plucked out her eyes and gave them to the Kotwal.
The shocked Kotwal, realizing that Badi Bua was
no ordinary woman but a true devotee of God, fell
at her feet and begged her for mercy.

Stories of these and other Sufis of the town are
today almost completely forgotten, for there are
now hardly any Muslims left, almost all of
Ayodhya's Muslim families having fled in the wake
of the destruction of the Babri Masjid in 1992.
However, visible signs of centuries' old Muslim
presence continue to dot the townóthe crumbling
minarets of ancient mosques, neglected graveyards
rapidly slipping under a dense cover of weeds,
the broken walls of what must have once been
grand Sufi lodges. Some of these structures came
down along with the Babri Mosque, vandalised by
bloodthirsty Hindutva mobs more than a decade
ago. In the violence that followed even hallowed
Sufi shrines, such as the dargahs of Shah
Muhammad Ibrahim, Bijli Shah Shahid, Makhdum Shah
Fatehullah, Sayyed Shah Muqaddas Quddus-i Ruh and
the Teen Darvesh, were attacked.

Today, some Sufi shrines still survive in
Ayodhya, continuing to be visited by local
devotees in the hope of a miraculous cure to
their owes or in search of solace. Strikingly,
and despite the almost total takeover of the town
by votaries of Hindutva, several of them are
carefully tended to by local Hindus, particularly
'low' castesóa silent reminder of a past now
rapidly being forgotten and one that perhaps can
never be relived again.

_____

[4]

ALL INDIA DEMOCRATIC WOMEN'S ASSOCIATION
121, Vithalbhai Patel House, Rafi Marg, New Delhi- 110001 [India]
tel no. 23710476, 23319566

Press Release				Oct. 22, 2003

The All India Democratic Women's Association
condemns the trivialisation and
sensationalisation of the issue of rape at the
BJP Bhopal election rally addressed by the Prime
Minister. It is perhaps for the first time in the
history of our country that a Prime Minister
gives public sanction to such low political
standards that damage struggles against sexual
assault against women and promote public cynicism.
The increasing violence against women is most
definitely an issue that political parties must
address but to exhibit a victim of rape to win
votes as was done at the rally is to mock at the
efforts of women's organizations to bring
anti-rape struggles on to the political agenda.
AIDWA along with other women's organizations has
always supported rape victims who speak out
against sexual violence against them and have
provided public platforms for them in their
struggles for justice. But the BJP's efforts to
manipulate the issue and exploit the woman
concerned for electoral purposes is made clear by
the fact that they have not lifted a finger to
help the woman they paraded. Her complaint of
rape made in 1994 was rejected by the court who
convicted the criminals for the murder of her
husband while exonerating them of the charge of
rape. Since it knew of the case why did not the
BJP appeal against the court decision and help
the woman in her struggle for justice all these
years ?
Women demand a public apology from the BJP .

Brinda Karat
(General Secretary)

______

[5]

Apurna Kranti of Jay Prakash
LITTLE MORE VIBRANCY AND GUJARAT VOLCANO WOULD EXPLODE

Digant Oza

Whether anybody realizes or not, Mody's Gujarat
is seating on Volcano today. Majority of
Gujaraties were never with him, not even during
the legislative assembly polling, but now, they
are up against his government.

One who observes present scenario of the so
called Hind Rashtra of Gujarat would realize that
thirty year old history of Navnirman is being
repeated both in letter and spirit.

Recently, with lot of funfare the state
Government, who leaves on overdraft and cutting
planed expenditure, spent huge amount on
celebrating Navratri and festival called Vibrant
Gujarat. The idea was to attract Non-Resident
Indians(NRI) for investments in the state, it was
also an effort to make good the economic losses
to the state due to last year's communal carnage.

The so called "Hindu Hriday Samrat", popularly
known as "Namo", Chief Minister and his officials
were bracing for a Mega Event to host their
expected number, around ten thousand NRI's and
foreign investor guest, during festival of Garba
and Raas but the festival finally turned into
fiasco, with arrival of hardly thousand and odd
guests including relatives, many came because
they were attracted by special air-fare
concessions, the local police officials and their
family members got vintage seats. At the
Ahmedabad's Sardar Patel international Airport
Government officials were garlanding arriving air
passengers only to know that they were local
Ahmedabadi's who had gone abroad to see their
children or relatives.

The list of MOU's and proposed investments is
dominated by known local Industrialists.Despite
Congress publicly demanding transparency of
details the Government is silent. It is a
different issue that the past history of such
investors meet has recorded only half or less
than that of MOU's signed being actually getting
implemented. Thus, Namo Government's purpose of
synchronize and celebrate vibrant Gujarat to
attract foreign capital failed miserably in
actually vibrating.

However, people of Gujarat have been vibrating
with anguish, agony and anger against Mody
Government, ever since Congress and other secular
parties presented on silver plate power in
Gandhinagar to Bhartiya Janta Party, thanks to
their stupid strategical mistakes.

Mody could become Chief Minister once again with
only 31% of the total Gujarat electorate(5 Crore
Gujaraties). Thus 69% of total citizens of
Gujarat were not with BJP  at the time of last
assembly elections in 2002.

After Legislative Assembly elections 21different
By-elections have taken place in Gujarat at local
self Government level. Out of these 21
By-Elections, .Mody's Hindu party has lost only
19 and won 2, can you believe?.

And now, the formation of Maha Gujarat Navnirman
Front without formal support of Sonia Congress,
people are preparing themselves for a possible
mass movement against Mody Government which is
expected to usher-in from 23rd of Nov when a
rally has been planned.

But the beginning is with the Bhartiya Janta
Party whose workers attacked its district
President Mr, Dilip Trivedi in Kutch, Dilip bhai
had to be hospitalised along with several others
and Mody's Police was forced to register cases
against BJP workers. The story is being more or
less repeated in different districts of Gujarat
because of the groupism within the ruling party.
Chief minister wants to have his say in every
singular selection and it is being resisted by
rank and file within the party. Keshubahi
Patel's, former Chief Minister, silence is more
dangerous than his eloquence. So is union Rural
Development Minister Kashiram Rana.

A decade after the Nav Nirman movement, Senior
Journalist Tushar Bhatt did a story for SUNDAY
magazine on a decade after the agitation. He
interviewed a lot of people, including late
Chimanbhai Patel, who had been toppled by the
agitation to find out what lessons had been
learnt from the traumatic experience.

The text of that article is not handy today but
Tushar still remember a revealing half-answer
Chimanbhai gave. He said he had learnt that a
ministry could not afford to have all members
doing talking and loud thinking. It needed some
members who put in solid file work in key areas
of development and law order. He implied that his
Ministry in 1973 did not have enough
hard-working, administratively capable Ministers.
The unanswered part of this was that a ministry
cannot survive if it did not have efficient men
of public stature which he did not have. The same
story can be repeated for the present Mody
Government.

Some of the observers surmise at that time, as
also now, is that the agitation did more harm to
Gujarat than good. First of all, it was an
anti-politics agitation and a democracy cannot
function without political parties. There were
complaints against individual politicians but the
grievance was blown up into a general contempt
for political system. It led to alienation of
youth from the political mainstream and political
parties did not get ever thereafter enough bright
and capable young workers who could replace the
old guard. The alienation has not ended even
today. Consequently there is a dearth of young
blood in both the BJP and the Congress as also in
public life. Every young man of potential started
saying politics is the last resort of the
scoundrels and kept away from it. Nav Nirman was
a nihilist movement which branded all political
parties bad. Election-based democracy can not
thrive on such a premise of destructiveness.
However, Nav Nirman did change a duly elected
Govrnment, it was thrown out through violent
street action which atleast Mody would remember,
because he and his party were part of street
action called " NAVNIRMAN".

Unfortunately for BJP and Narendra Mody, and
fortunately for the state of Gujarat, Navnirman
history appears to be repeating itself after
three decades, different sections of society are
joining the agitation for their own demand and
reasons, and repression by NAMO's police is
helping the agitators to solidify themselves.

Various sections of people feel bereft of a human
regime, while expressing their ire on different
issues through marches and demonstrations. For
the first time in history, perhaps, entire
minority community recently observed a total
Bandh in Ahmedabad, without any formal call by
any organization or individual, against arbitrary
arrests of not just alleged terrorist accomplices
but also some prestigious Muslim businessmen
under POTA by the police, creating a reign of
terror among this community.

Much more angry with the Mody administration here
is the mass of farmers, who are waging a
long-drawn agitation against heavy mark-up of
electricity charges. They are worked up because
of a violent police attempt to suppress this
agitation recently at Vadodara. One farmer died
after police beating. They are at present
marching in thousands on foot from South Gujarat
town of Dandi to reach Sabarmati Ashram by Oct.
2, reminiscent of Mahatma Gandhi's march in the
30's on the same route.

Look at the students of universities. They are
talking aloud to resume their old 'Navnirman'
movement to oust the Mody regime, as they did in
1974 kicking out the then chief minister Chiman
Patel. Students at the Gujarat University are
burning the effigies of their Vice-chancellor
demanding reduction in increased fees. Professors
and teachers of various colleges of the same
university are out on the streets against the
education department's "callous attitude" in not
implementing their earlier assurance on demands
Teachers and students have actually joined hands
against the government shouting such slogans as
"We reject work-to-rule only for the teachers,
but why is there no rule for Mody government?"

All the fire directed against Mody hardly makes
any difference to him. But their time seems to be
running out, looking at a crushing defeat at the
hands of the Congress in the last week's
by-elections of Municipal and Panchayat bodies,
winning only two seats. Their way of governance
is because of anger and disappointment within the
Legislative Wing of Bhartiya Janta Party, many of
them are opposing the extra tight security. The
Governance which  many critics here call
neo-fascist perpetrating a wide divide between
Hindus and Muslims engineered by them since the
bloody days of carnage in 2002. This is despite
the caustic remarks passed recently by the
Supreme Court asking Mody to quit if he couldn't
facilitate justice to the victims of carnage.
Mody has chosen to remain silent on this. If it
was in his power, he would have lambasted the
chief justice also as a 'hypocrite secularist.'

Leave alone a secular, but so far as the
Gujarat's dire need for a humane and democratic
governance is concerned, two issues draw much
criticism here: state government's failure to
form a women's commission and equally its refusal
to form a human rights commission, proposal for
which is pending since BJP came to power five
years back.

Even a deaf and dumb would realize how much a
women's commission was needed in the state
looking at the report of atrocities on women.
There were 262 rapes,697 kidnapping, 269 murders,
35 deaths on account of dowry and to cap it all -
some 1,799 suicides by women in 2001!

It was declared by the government that the 'newly
to be formed' women's commission would work under
social justice department. Later they formed a
separate office of women and children's welfare
but no chairman or members of the commission were
appointed. The government even issued an
ordinance for such a formation but it never was
followed up by actual formation of commission!!
Only woman minister in Mody Cabinet, education
minister Anandibahen Patel, later told the media
that "our government was new and many other
appointments were yet to be filled up in public
sector institutions also.

State government was reminded by various women's
organizations two years back that Rajasthan,
Madhya Pradesh, Tamilnadu and such other states
had already formed their own commissions but why
not in Gujarat?

Most shocking fact happening in the state was an
increase in child-marriages. There were 17 such
marriages registered in police record of 1998,
but it became 26 in 1999. Cases of mental
tortures on women registered were 2989 in 1998,
which rose to 3365 in 1999.

Another even more shocking is the incidence of
fetus death has brought Gujarat as number two all
over the country in decreased number of girl
child per a thousand births- 878 girls for 1000
boys! Clearly, the age old practice of killing
girls before they are born or even after they are
born in a few cases is still prevalent here, with
slogans of 'new bright Hindutva' dominating the
socio-cultural landscape.

So far as the formation of human rights
commission is concerned, the state government has
simply stayed any action on this score. Some
officials say in hush-hush tones that the chief
minister is not able to find out a pliable
chairman for the same and that is the reason,
while some other sources assert that the ruling
BJP is afraid of being trapped once they form
such a commission, which could be flooded with
complaints from various sections of society- from
Dalit victims of atrocities to members of
minority community who have been continuously
making noise against human right violations by
the ruling party and its police.

Incidentally, those who celebrated Navratri
perhaps do not remember that Dussehra also marks
the end of Pandava's exile in the Mahabharata and
the return to reclaim their Kingdom. Little
wonder, Dusshera is celebrated in different ways
in different regions of the country, albeit with
a common theme- triumph of good over evil.
Gujarat may not proof any exceptions in this rule
and would soon see good over evil.  Ends.

______

[6]

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:02:50 +0530

Dear Friend

It's been about a year and a half since
the terrible communal carnage (preceded by
the Godhra train-burning incident) in Gujarat.
But, there has been little succour for the
thousands of traumatised victims who survived the
violence with nothing but their lives.

The State Government headed by Narendra Modi has
continued to rub salt into their wounds by making
a mockery of the relief and compensation offered
to them. L.K.Advani wants us to treat the planned
genocide aided by his party  like
an "aberration", effectively forget about it
and "move on". The corporate sector wants a
vibrant Gujarat whose promised prosperity will
bring peace and help people forget about the
"tragedy".

All of us want peace and harmony in Gujarat. But,
as history has demonstrated repeatedly, there can
be no peace without justice. And for that, the
judiciary has to perform its duty in a fair and
effective way, so that the inevitable cycle of
violence is arrested.  But, since Modi's partisan
government has been unwilling to deliver justice
- even allowing its active obstruction by party
members - pressure has to be brought upon it from
other democratic institutions like the media,
human rights groups and last but not the least
by the pressure of public opinion.

This is where our voice counts. This is how we
can make a difference today. An active public
opinion can compel the government to ensure that
the trials are conducted in a fair and unbiased
manner. With the intervention of the NHRC, it is
reassuring to see that the Supreme Court has
forcefully interevened to get Best Bakery case
retried.  There have also been other positive
developments - such as the relatives of the
Godhra victims appealing to have their cases
tried outside Gujarat, and calling for a ban
on on yatras.

Today, more than ever, it is essential that we do
not forget about what happened there. Today it is
imperative that concerned people like us keep
ourselves involved in the struggle for justice...
To begin with, by being aware of what the
situation there is. We must never forget. "Those
who forget history are condemned to repeat it."

Insaaniyat has organised a public meeting to
appraise all of us about the struggle for justice
in Gujarat. And to discuss it's implications for
the broader struggle for democracy and human
rights in this country.

THE BATTLE FOR JUSTICE IN GUJARAT

Speakers:

Mihir Desai (lawyer and human rights activist)
who is representing Zahira Sheikh in the Best
Bakery Case will report on the situation in this
case, and also give an update on the other cases
concerning the Gujarat-genocide that are coming
up before the Supreme Court.

Veena Gowda (advocate with Majlis, Mumbai) who is
representing the victims at the Shah-Nanavati
Commision of inquiry, will provide an update on
the Commission hearings.

M.H.Jowher (Convenor of the Society for the
Promotion of Rational Thinking, Ahmedabad) who
has been working towards providing relief and
rehabilitation to all the victims, and who's
organisation has initiated a series of programmes
for reconciliation and rebuilding harmony in
Gujarat, will give an on-the-ground report on the
situation in Gujarati society today.

Venue: Bombay Union of Journalists (BUJ) office,
2nd floor, Prospect Chambers Annexe, D.N.Road,
(at the corner of D.N.Road and P.M.Road), near
Flora Fountain, Fort, Mumbai-400001

Time and Date: 5.30 PM, Friday, 31st October 2003

We hope that you will be there. Please also do
inform your friends and colleagues.

From Insaaniyat, Mumbai.

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia. SACW is an independent & non-profit
citizens wire service run since 1998 by South
Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex). [Please
note the SACW web site has gone down, you will
have to for the time being search google cache
for materials]
The complete SACW archive is available at: http://sacw.insaf.net
South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/