[sacw] SACW | 29 Oct. 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 01:02:09 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | 29 October 2002

__________________________

#1. Pakistan: Journalists family facing harassment by Pakistani=20
intelligence agencies (Riaz Ahmed)
#2. Bangladesh: Accountability needed in 'Operation Clean Heart'=20
(amnesty International)
#3. Bangladesh: Will our elected govt tell us what is happening? (Mahfuz An=
am)
#4. India: [Jang] Parivar's hate campaign: Politics as abuse (Praful Bidwai=
)
#5. India: Balbir K. Punj has emerged as one of the Vedic Taliban's=20
loudest ranters (Mukul Dube)
#6. Contents: Indian Journal of Secularism,=A0Volume 6, No. 3, October=20
- December 2002
#7. India: Help election officers trying to=A0locate the victmized=20
people who have left Gujarat during the recent riots
#8. India: Interview with Dalit leader Udit Raj
#9. UK: Public Meeting and Booklet Launch `Single Faith Schools:=20
Social control or the best Education? (London, 7 November)
#10. USA: Seminar Announcement: From Development Failure to Deadly=20
Conflict in Sri Lanka: Lessons for Politicians and Practitioners [by]=20
John M. Richardson, Jr (University of New Hampshire, 20 Nov. 2002)
#11. India Pakistan Arms Race & Militarisation Watch (IPARMW) # 99,=20

__________________________

#1.

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002

dear friends:

the family of journalist Shaheen Sehbai is going through a terrible=20
ordeal at the hands of Pakistani intelligence agencies. Every month=20
someone from his relatives is arrested, kept in jail until another=20
one is nabbed in a forged case. Shaheen Sehbai has gone into exile=20
after reports in Pakistan's largest daily The News exposed the=20
intrigues of the regime which soon began=A0its witch-hunt. The=20
following site reveals info about the case.

<http://www.satribune.com/archives/oct21_27_02/P1_shazia.htm>http://www.sat=
ribune.com/archives/oct21_27_02/P1_shazia.htm

There are some who are trying to expose the injustice to the Sehbai=20
family, we should try to help them in all the ways possible.

regard, Dr Riaz Ahmed, Secretary, Karachi University Teachers Society

Dr Riaz Ahmed

Department of Applied Chemistry
University of Karachi
Karachi 75270
Pakistan

______

#2.

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL PRESS RELEASE

AI Index: ASA 13/015/2002 (Public)
News Service No: 189

Bangladesh: Accountability needed in 'Operation Clean Heart'

Amnesty International urged today the Government of Bangladesh to
investigate immediately all allegations of deaths in custody and torture
by the army and the police since a "crackdown" on crime - known as
'Operation Clean Heart' - began on 17 October.
"The government must bring to justice any army or police
personnel
involved in the torture of detainees, and clarify the legal status of the
army's involvement in arrests of civilians", said Amnesty International.
Over 2000 people have been arrested and at least five people have
died in custody since the government called in the army to "assist" in
'Operation Clean Heart'. More than a dozen detainees have been sent to
hospital with severe injuries reportedly caused by beatings while in
army custody. They include both members of the ruling Bangladesh
Nationalist Party and the opposition Awami League.
Abul Khair Ratan died while in custody following his arrest on 18
October, reportedly as a result of torture. Two other men, Yakub Ali and
Jahangir Alam also died while they were in custody. The Home Ministry has
said the deaths were caused by heart failure but family members
reportedly
believe they were tortured to death. The bodies of the dead were
reportedly not handed over to their relatives fuelling doubts about the
official post mortem examination results on those who died in custody.
Some of the detainees are possible prisoners of conscience. Two
Awami League leaders - Saber Hossain Chowdhury, Political Secretary to
the Leader of the
Opposition, Sheikh Hasina, and Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, member of
parliament and former health minister - were arrested by the army on 20
and 21 October, and were held initially incommunicado. No details have
been made
public about the possible charges against them, and Amnesty International
fears they may be detained solely for their peaceful opposition to the
government.
Amnesty International urges the government to ensure that all
those detained on account of their peaceful political activities
are released immediately and
unconditionally. In the past, the Government of Bangladesh has filed
criminal cases against opposition politicians effectively securing their
detention and removal from active politics.
"It is every government's duty to ensure law and order for the
benefit of all citizens, but this cannot be imposed at the expense of the
basic rights of the people", Amnesty International said.
Background
'Operation Clean Heart' is the government's response to growing concern
within Bangladesh and the international community about continued
deterioration in law and order including a rise in criminal activity,
murder, rape and acid throwing. While Amnesty International acknowledges
the government's efforts to improve law and order, it urges the
government
to ensure that the army's activities are conducted within the rule of law
and with respect for human rights.
The legal status of the army's involvement in 'Operation Clean
Heart' is not clear. Many of the detainees have been arrested under
Section 54 of Code of Criminal Procedure which allows the police rather
than the army to detain people on suspicion of involvement in criminal
activity. Amnesty International has serious concerns about the use of
this law in Bangladesh. Prisoners detained under Section 54 have
frequently been tortured while in custody.
In the initial wave of army operations, many members and
supporters of the ruling Bangladesh Nationalist Party were detained.
These
included a number of BNP local leaders. Members and supporters of the
Awami League were also later detained. Many senior party figures have
gone into hiding. Others are afraid of entering Awami
League offices for fear of arrest. The Awami League's documentation
centre
has been raided by the army. Documents and equipment were taken away.
Following interrogation by the army -- which reportedly often
involves torture -- the detainees are handed over to the police
who then
decide whether to release them or hold them in custody for further
interrogation. Many of those arrested in recent army operations have
reportedly been released but many hundreds are believed to remain in
detention. They include both members of the ruling and the opposition
parties.

_____

#3.

The Daily Star (Dhaka)

Will our elected govt tell us what is happening?

Mahfuz Anam

Led by nearly 20,000 troops, army, navy, BDR, police and ansar (an=20
auxiliary force) are in a joint operation to rid the country of=20
criminals. More than 3,000 persons have been arrested. Ten people=20
have died in mysterious circumstances during or following army=20
interrogation. Check-posts have been set up in many inter-district=20
routes where army personnel stop, question and search vehicles,=20
perform body search, occasionally mete out instant punishment for not=20
complying quickly enough with their orders and, in some cases,=20
humiliate passengers of motorcycles, buses and other vehicles. In=20
cities, house-to-house searches have been conducted in some areas,=20
occupants picked up for questioning (some returned within hours and=20
others not even in days) and all types of vehicles, including cars of=20
ministers and high officials, not to mention public representatives,=20
have been randomly stopped and searched.

All this has been happening for the last 12 days (army operation=20
started on October 17) and yet except for a daily diet of logistical=20
information nothing substantial has been told to the people.=20
Unbelievable as it may sound, there has been no official=20
communication and no public announcement as to the circumstances=20
under which the government felt compelled to call out the army. Did=20
the government completely lose confidence in the established=20
machinery? Were all other options in containing crime exhausted?=20
Doesn't the government owe the public any explanation for this=20
drastic step? In democracy "People's Right to Know' is fundamental.=20
How far is that right being honoured? To the best of our knowledge,=20
no gazette notification has been issued or made available to the=20
press or the public. Obviously, some official document exists but why=20
is it not being shared with the public?

Yes, there were a few post-operation public speeches by the prime=20
minister and ministers in which some general comments were made to=20
the effect that the army has come to the aid of the civil=20
administration in catching criminals. However, nothing has been said=20
under what legal framework the army action is to take pace.

Here we would like to recall that during the luncheon for journalists=20
(with some editors present) on the eve of Sheb-e-Barat (October 21)=20
one editor specifically asked the PM about the legal cover of the=20
army operation and why the public was not given any information about=20
it. When the PM replied that there was an official order about it, in=20
a chorus many of us said we never saw it. She ordered the document to=20
be given to the press and one of her senior political staff promised=20
to send it the next day. NOTHING HAS BEEN RECEIVED TILL DATE.

There is virtually no communication between the government and the=20
public at this point. There is no body in the government assigned to=20
answer the queries of the press or the public. High-ups in the Prime=20
Minister's Office (PMO) do not answer any question and speak only=20
when they wish and on topics of their own choice. The home ministry=20
has stopped its briefing and now confines itself to sending press=20
releases. It also refuses to entertain questions from journalists.=20
The army high command does not speak to the press or answer any=20
question. The ISPR sends a daily account of how many arrested, how=20
many arms recovered, what their types are, etc. They do not entertain=20
questions either.

So where do the public and the press go for answers? How can a=20
democratic government be so silent? How can an elected government=20
shut itself to the press in such a manner? One of the fundamental=20
components of democracy - accountability of the government - appears=20
totally absent at the moment.

Let us start with the issue of deaths during and after interrogation.=20
We reject the 'heart attack' explanation. The authorities are=20
insulting our intelligence by uttering such absurdities. Except for=20
that ridiculous one liner, nothing about those who died has been made=20
public. Serious questions surrounding these deaths are plaguing the=20
public mind. It is frightening them, a feeling they should never have=20
in a democracy. Newspaper offices are flooded with readers' questions=20
like what were the exact circumstances of death, how and where the=20
victims were being interrogated and for how long, what specifically=20
were they suspected of, what was the evidence in the army's hand that=20
resulted in the interrogation in the first place, who were present=20
during the interrogation, etc.

We are told that the army is following a list on the basis of which=20
they are picking up people. Well, how has that list been prepared?=20
How authentic is it? Is there one list, or several? If so, who are=20
the authors of the various lists? How much effort has been put to=20
make that list authentic? Can we rule out settling of scores and the=20
army being used for it? In villages and in rural towns falsely=20
implicating a rival is an old custom. Most importantly, did we not=20
establish democracy to do away with the whole culture of secret lists?

Our job is not to sympathise with the criminals nor to plead for the=20
guilty but to protect the innocent. What if one, two, three or more=20
of those who have died were innocent or simply accessory to the=20
crimes or, even worse, only circumstantially, not substantially,=20
implicated. Did they deserve to die? The al-Qaida terrorist captured=20
by the US soldiers are being denied many of their rights at the=20
Guantanamo Bay prison for which the US is being rightly criticised.=20
But at least they are not having 'heart attacks' after interrogation.=20
The suspected Washington DC area sniper accused of 10 cold-blooded=20
murders through single sniper shots will NOT die, we believe, during=20
interrogation. Why? Because civilisation guarantees that. We are part=20
of that civilisation. We have rightly expressed our outrage at the=20
Time magazine's unfounded story and expressed worry about our image.=20
What image will we have when the international media will report that=20
in Bangladesh people die during interrogation, without being accused,=20
without proof and without a chance to defend themselves - just on the=20
basis of some list, whose preparation might have been terribly flawed?

It may be said that interrogations are not public events and as such=20
cannot be disclosed. Agreed. But once someone dies in the process=20
then it has to be investigated and made public. That is how justice=20
is guaranteed. And what is democracy if there is no justice?

Then there is another set of urgent questions that needs to be=20
answered. How are our FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS being protected? On Sunday I=20
was at a wedding where a Daily Star reader asked me, "What happens if=20
I am picked up for questioning on my way home? What sort of legal=20
protections do I have at the moment? What happens if the questioning=20
person(s) do not believe me and consider me a suspect just because I=20
look similar to somebody, or happened to have been in an area at a=20
time when some incident took place or some influential person put my=20
name in a list, which I have never seen or will never see, because of=20
business, political or financial rivalry? He insisted, "Isn't my fate=20
completely dependent on my interrogators who may or may not choose to=20
believe me?"

Will the government please answer these questions?

______

#4.

The Daily Star (Dhaka)

The Parivar's hate campaign: Politics as abuse

Praful Bidwai, writes from New Delhi

The government must strictly apply hate-speech laws like Section=20
153(A) of the IPC and the SC-ST Prevention of Atrocities Act to=20
members of the sangh parivar. It must not cave in to Mr Thackeray's=20
hollow threats to set Mumbai "on fire"...The state must summon the=20
will to book these dangerous fanatics -- in the interest of the=20
nation, the Constitution, indeed the Establishment itself. If it=20
fails this test, it will only invite disgrace -- from the wider world=20
and its own citizens.

A contest has broken out in the sangh parivar over who can reach the=20
lowest depths of abuse in pursuit of communal politics. Mr Praveen=20
Togadia has descended to the gutter level by calling Ms Sonia Gandhi=20
"an Italian dog" (more accurately, "bitch" in Gujarati).

Narendra Milosevic Modi terms her "Italy ki beti". He threatens to=20
"wipe Pakistan off the map of the world" through "Hindu militancy".

This comes on top of Mr Ashok Singhal's threats to repeat Gujarat's=20
ethnic-cleansing "experiment" all over India. These have raised=20
international concerns about the safety of India's religious=20
minorities.

Meanwhile, Mr Bal Thackeray appeals to Hindus to form "terrorist=20
suicide-squads" against Muslims. He equates Hindutva with "the=20
national weal" and rhetorically asks: "Why do you hesitate to declare=20
India a Hindu rashtra?"

Worst of all, VHP vice-president Giriraj Kishore, citing the=20
shastras, puts the cow higher than humans -- the Dalits lynched in=20
Jhajjar (Haryana).

True to cowardly type, Mr Togadia now says he didn't name any=20
particular individual in his Oct 19 speech. Mr Thackeray claims his=20
remarks were directed at "pro-Pakistan Muslims" -- a ludicrously=20
false statement. Transcriptions of the speeches -- in The Indian=20
Express (Oct 21) -- knock out these claims.

Mr Thackeray's defence is obnoxious. It is downright criminal to=20
threaten anyone with "terrorist squads".

Actually, Mr Togadia chided Gujarat's minorities: "We are five crore,=20
you are just 50,000. If 50,000 Hindus get killed in a terrorist=20
attack, the five-crore figure will not get smaller. If 50,000 Muslims=20
die, no one will be left". He also militarised Hinduism into a=20
violent faith, citing Kali's garland of human skulls.

These vituperative speeches mark a new political low. India's public=20
discourse did not plumb such depths even before Partition, with its=20
ghastly bloodbath.

We are witnessing an altogether new venomous anti-pluralist politics.=20
Nothing can be more corrosive of our claim to be a minimally=20
civilised society. Such intensely intolerant politics couldn't have=20
developed 40, 30, even 20 years ago. What gave birth to it is the=20
parivar's still-unfolding anti-Babri campaign.

Parivar hate speech is backed by action. Maharashtra and Gujarat=20
witnessed our two worst pogroms. In Rajasthan, the BJP-RSS and VHP=20
are polarising politics communally. In Tamil Nadu, Ms Jayalalithaa=20
has banned religious conversion. In Haryana, five Dalits were beaten=20
to death in police custody because the VHP spread rumours that they=20
had killed a cow.

This speech-action connection gets consolidated each day as=20
secularists are called Gaznis. Each time Mr Modi resorts to=20
ham-panch-hamare-pachees-level abuse, and BJP leaders justify this as=20
promoting "family planning", they vitiate public life.

Why have many BJP leaders joined the hate campaign despite their=20
differences with the VHP? There are revolving doors between the=20
parivar's components. Half of the VHP's top leaders have been BJP MPs=20
in recent years. The Shiv Sena and BJP are inseparable. The Bajrang=20
Dal's topmost man (Vinay Katiyar) is the BJP's Uttar Pradesh=20
president.

There is no "external" provocation for today's hate campaign either=20
--no Coimbatore, no December 13, no hostile action by Pakistan.

The trigger has to do with the intra-parivar power struggle and the=20
BJP's appalling governmental performance. Messrs Togadia, Thackeray=20
and Kishore are upset at the NDA's drift towards economic policies=20
they don't like, and towards "appeasement" of Pakistan through troop=20
demobilisation.

These aren't differences over principle, but over sharing the spoils.=20
Mr Thackeray plucked out Mr Suresh Prabhu from the Cabinet because he=20
didn't deliver "enough" moolah. The senapati fulminates against the=20
Centaur Hotel's sale not because he opposes public sector=20
disinvestment, but because he wants it to be sold to his friend, Ajit=20
Kerkar.

As for "appeasing" Pakistan, the government has only done what was=20
long overdue and demanded by the army. Keeping seven lakh troops on=20
high alert had become counter-productive. It drained away between Rs=20
5,000 and 8,000 crores. The NDA was also under United States'=20
pressure.

The more virulent of our communalists need constant enmity with=20
Pakistan. They see Pakistan, rather than hegemonic powers, as India's=20
worst enemy. Demobilisation will temporarily weaken this plank.

The hardliners are also stepping up the Ayodhya temple campaign,=20
although there is no popular support for this. This is their sole=20
political platform.

They don't want to play second fiddle to the BJP's parliamentary=20
wing. They believe -- not without reason -- that they put Vajpayee &=20
Co in power; without the Ramjanmabhoomi campaign, the BJP couldn't=20
have grown from 2 to 89 seats, and on to 116...

Hindutva hardliners see Vajpayee & Co as "usurpers". The BJP's=20
leadership thinks they're na=EFve and out of tune -- hence a nuisance.=20
It lacks the stomach to deal with them upfront. So it relies on the=20
pater familias of the parivar, the RSS, to settle internal=20
differences, as on Oct 24.

This strategy is becoming unworkable. The RSS leadership's equation=20
with the BJP has changed. Their recent mutual compromises have come=20
unstuck. This will probably happen to the latest uneasy truce too.

It is a sign of Mr Vajpayee's desperation and weakness that he still=20
begs the RSS to help him. If he really wants to assert himself, he=20
must act in consonance with Constitutional principles and the law.

The government must strictly apply hate-speech laws like Section=20
153(A) of the IPC and the SC-ST Prevention of Atrocities Act to=20
members of the sangh parivar. It must not cave in to Mr Thackeray's=20
hollow threats to set Mumbai "on fire".

The whole world knows Mr Thackeray exhorted Hindu youth to take to=20
terrorism -- fighting which is the Number One official priority.=20
Governmental pusillanimity alone has prevented his arrest and=20
prosecution in the past.

The state must summon the will to book these dangerous fanatics -- in=20
the interest of the nation, the Constitution, indeed the=20
Establishment itself. If it fails this test, it will only invite=20
disgrace -- from the wider world and its own citizens.

Praful Bidwai is an eminent Indian columnist.

______

#5.

Comment on Balbir K. Punj's ("Healing Achilles Heel") published by=20
Outlook at=20
http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=3D20021104&fname=3DColumn+Balb=
ir+%28F%29&sid=3D1

Balbir K. Punj has emerged as one of the Vedic Taliban's loudest and=20
fruitiest ranters. Like the others in the pack, he lunges to left and=20
to right to grab pieces of ahistorical excrement with which to plug=20
the giant hole that is their boat.

Typical of Sanghi diversion is his attempt to explain the calm after=20
Akshardham with this remarkable twist: "But fortunately,=20
'secularists' conducted themselves as responsible citizens".=20
Responsibility is clumsily sought to be shifted to these people, who,=20
it is implicit, must have induced feeble-minded, easily swayed and=20
uncontrollable Hindu butchers to undertake butchery after Godhra.

Will Punj care to say if the Government of Gujarat too conducted=20
itself responsibly after Akshardham, something which cannot be said=20
of its behaviour after Godhra? Was it the irresponsible actions of=20
the "secularists" the first time which cruelly prevented Modi's=20
benign government from preventing his supporters' savagery?

Mukul Dube

______

#6.

Indian Journal of Secularism
Volume 6, No. 3, October - December 2002

(A Journal of Centre for Study of Society and Secularism
Editor Dr. Asghar Ali Engineer; E-mail: csss@v...)

Contents
I. Articles
The Making of Terrorism and Islamism:
'Partners' In Uneasy Peace and Unholy War
- K.M. Seethi
Religious Fundamentalism: Ugly Face of Faith
- S.K. Singh
Gujarat Genocide: A Sociological Appraisal
- Uday Mehta
Rights of Groups and Differentiated Citizenship:
The Case of Indian Muslims
- Asghar Ali Engineer
History and Nature of the Ayodhya Dispute
- Irfan Engineer
The Drona Syndrome: Reading the New Education
Framework as Pedagogy of the Oppressor
- S.P. Udayakumar
II. Special Report
Final Order on Gujarat dated 31st May 2002
- National Human Rights Commission
III. Declaration:
Declaration of the Rights of Persons belonging to National or Ethnic,=20
Religious and Linguistic Minorities
IV. Book Review
Islam, Democracy and Religious Modernism
- Yoginder Sikand=A0=A0
Subscribe today and read thought provoking articles
Subscription Rates
India Abroad
Single Issue - Rs.50/- Single=20
Issue - US$10
Annual (individuals) - Rs. 200/- Annual=20
(Individual) - US$35 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
Annual (Institution & Annual=20
(Institutions &
Libraries) - Rs.350/-=20
Libraries) - US$50

For Copies Contact
The Circulation Manager,
Centre for Study of Society and Secularism,
9B, Himalaya Apts., 1st Floor,
6th Road, Santacruz (E),
Mumbai:- 400 055,
India.