[sacw] SACW #2 | 19 Mar. 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:33:24 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire - Dispatch #2 | 19 March 2002

* For daily news updates & citizens initiatives in post riots=20
Gujarat Check: http://www.sabrang.com

__________________________

#1. Media Management: Restricting Freedom in Pakistan (Shaheen Sehbai)
#2. India Is ... A Culture Struggles With All That Defines It=20
(Shankar Vedantam)
#3. Marriage communalised through legal sanction? (Raheel Dhattiwala)
#4. 18th March update from Sonia Jabbar
- Meetings in Delhi 19th Afternoon : Join Justice Sachar in a=20
discussion on the implications of the RSS
- Meeting with Teesta Setalvad, who was in Gujrat during the worst of=20
the communal carnage
- Peace Actions to prevent Holi and Muharram to degenerate into violence-
#5. Fear is the Key (Vidya Subrahmaniam)
#6. The agony of Gujarat (K. N. Panikkar)
#7. The RSS message from Bangalore (V. Krishna Ananth)
#8. Number Games of Fate (Vinay Gidwani)

__________________________

# 1.

The Asian Wall Street Journal
March 18, 2002, A13
Opinion

Media Management: Restricting Freedom in Pakistan

By Shaheen Sehbai
Mr. Sehbai is the former editor of the News, an English-language daily
published in Pakistan.

Three weeks ago, I resigned as editor of Pakistan's largest and most
influential English language daily, the News. My newspaper's proprietor
had directed me to apologize to the chiefs of the country's notorious
Inter-Services Intelligence for my decision to publish details of the
confessional statement of Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, the prime suspect in
the abduction and murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. I
was the first local journalist Danny and his wife Mariane contacted last
year when they arrived in Karachi to cover Pakistan and America's war
against terror.

Never lacking for audacity, the ISI first broke into our newsroom on Feb.
17 over our story on Mr. Saeed, in which he linked ISI operatives directly
to his involvement in financing, planning and executing last December's
terrorist attack on India's Parliament. With such obviously embarrassing
information coming from one of their own kind -- Mr. Saeed had, after all,
turned himself in for interrogation to his former ISI handler on Feb. 5, a
week before Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, arrived in
Washington for an official visit -- the principal information officer of
the regime called me at 1 a.m. and demanded I pull the piece. When his
coercion failed, my proprietor in London was called. He too tried to stop
publication, but failed, and the government pulled all its advertising --
accounting for over half our income the next day -- in an effort to
silence my paper completely. Then they asked the owner to sack me, as well
as three other senior journalists.

I resigned rather than become part of the conspiracy to mislead the people
of Pakistan. Fearing physical attacks, as experienced in the past -- and
with the Pearl example fresh in my mind -- I chose to join my family in
the U.S. and live to fight another day.

And fight we must. These media management games are the first sign of
where Gen. Musharraf's newly purged, more outwardly tactful ISI is headed.
"Managing" politics and obviously rigging the elections in October are
next on the agenda. There are growing signs that a "King's Party" for Gen.
Musharraf is being put together to legitimize his stay in office, as an
all-powerful president, well beyond any reasonable timeframe.

Games we have seen so many times are underway in Pakistan again. I'm not
talking about renewed cricket matches with India, I'm talking about a
well-orchestrated effort to manipulate the press, to usurp the people's
right to free and fair elections, to perpetuate individuals rather than
institutions, and to hide Pakistan's Islamists under a presentable wrap
giving them a sizeable say in national affairs.

The primary instrument of change in achieving this devil's pact is Gen.
Musharraf's recasting of the ISI as a more docile and introspective
institution, ostensibly purged of Islamist hardliners and Taliban
sympathizers. But buyers beware.

Over 20 years ago, another military dictator, Gen. Zia-ul-Haq, created the
first monstrous reign of the ISI when he empowered the agency to run a
different war in Afghanistan -- the one against the Soviets. Billions of
American taxpayer dollars and weapons of every imaginable type flowed
through the ISI into Mujahideen hands -- while the U.S. government looked
the other way as Zia built Pakistan's nuclear capacity, trained Islamic
militants and inculcated radical Islam into the barracks, the schools and
the streets. Rogue terrorist armies were born and no one paid attention.

Then in 1985, under an absolutist formula for controlling press
dissension, Zia tried to patch together political legitimacy at home under
farcical non-party elections by handpicking his parliament and nominating
a nonentity as prime minister. An August 1988 plane crash left a gaping
power vacuum filled by out-of-control intelligence outfits. The births of
America's present-day nemeses, the Taliban and al Qaeda, were -- at least
in the eyes of the all-powerful Islamist generals -- the ISI's most
important contributions to Pakistani national security after the bomb.

Another intelligence disaster now looms. Its similarities to the Zia days
are remarkable. Gen. Musharraf, the military dictator of the day, is the
new darling of the West fighting the new enemy in Afghanistan. Billions of
American taxpayer dollars are again set to flow. A beautiful facade has
been crafted for external consumption, on everything from press freedoms
to promised elections to a corruption-free economy to an Islamist-free
reformed state. The reality is harshly different.

The ISI has been assigned the task of identifying, recruiting and
organizing representatives for this effort. They are to entice, cajole and
coerce the press and politicians. Key leaders from the political parties
of both former prime ministers -- Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif -- are
being lined up for pre-approval. The Islamist role will be enshrined by
fundamentalist generals in the National Security Council. Power, after
all, is still the ultimate aphrodisiac in Pakistani politics.

A full dress rehearsal of this methodology was carried out during the
recently concluded countrywide polls for mayors and deputy mayors. Every
city, big or small, had a pre-selected mayor. In Pakistan's military
stronghold, Rawalpindi, for example, ISI interference in seating a
pre-approved candidate was so blatant that the non-political but highly
compliant Chamber of Commerce president was "elected" mayor against
well-known political stalwarts.

Pakistan has played crucial roles in two of the most important struggles
of our time -- the defeats of communism and terrorism. The first time, the
West looked away while evil forces were born in our midst, destroying
whatever was left of our culture and society. The moderate majority was
silenced into submission until the world woke up on Sept. 11.

The warning signs are there again. America must invest its political and
financial capital in institutions and not individuals. It is imperative
that the American people, their elected representatives and the
international press watching events in Pakistan not look the other way
again. Freedom of the press is under siege. The promised return of
democracy is being systematically compromised. American aid is being used
to achieve dubious objectives. And the poor people of Pakistan, in defense
of whom the ISI and Gen. Musharraf have made their last stand, may once
again lose whatever is left of a country that can still be great.

---

_______

#2.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35958-2002Mar15.html

The Washington Post
Sunday, March 17, 2002; Page B01

India Is ...
A Culture Struggles With All That Defines It

In a remote hamlet deep inside India's western state of Rajasthan,=20
stonesmiths have been toiling for more than a decade to prefabricate=20
a Hindu temple. Workshops have echoed with the patter of metallic=20
rain, the effect of mallets tapping on chisels. Scores of giant pink=20
sandstone pillars have been trucked hundreds of miles to the fertile=20
heart of the country, to the city of Ayodhya, where, according to the=20
epic, "The Ramayan," the Hindu god Lord Ram was born. There Hindu=20
revivalists want to build a temple dedicated to him. For now,=20
however, the pillars lie in the open air, waiting to be assembled.

Hindu revivalists are forging something more subtle, more significant=20
and potentially far sturdier than stone: They are creating a new=20
narrative of Indian history, aimed at righting slights from previous=20
centuries. In 1992, a Hindu revivalist mob tore down an Ayodhya=20
mosque, charging that it was built over a Ram temple, which had been=20
demolished in the 16th century. More than 2,000 Indians were killed=20
in riots that followed. Recent clashes have killed 700 more.

The headlines obscure a deeper struggle to appropriate India's past,=20
and thus define its future. Every country has its myths, shared=20
narratives that weave together the conflicting threads of its past=20
and point the way forward. Some of these stories are true, some=20
aren't; some unite nations, some promote radical change, and others=20
are manipulated for self-serving ends. The United States has its=20
Puritan tale about immigrants coming to a new world in search of=20
religious freedom. Ancient Romans believed that Aeneas founded their=20
city as an instrument of providence.

In India, Hindu revivalists are revising the nation's founding myths.=20
They contend that India is essentially Hindu, and its Muslims and=20
Christians have been misled about their identity. Revivalist groups=20
such as the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), or World Hindu Council,=20
argue that Hindus should assert themselves through aggressive=20
nationalism and that "Hindu interest is the national interest."

Not so, cry Indians who believe the secular state should not favor=20
any religion. The country is the birthplace of many faiths and home=20
to the second-largest Muslim population in the world. There are even=20
many interpretations of Hinduism and the VHP's focus on Lord Ram and=20
Ayodhya is a modern conceit, they say, modeled on monotheistic=20
religions, and aimed at uniting Hindu voters from a multitude of=20
sects, castes and linguistic groups. Many Indian Muslims and=20
Christians also note that their ancestors converted from Hinduism to=20
escape the caste system.

Some Indians say the true compass of the nation is the legacy of=20
Mahatma Gandhi, himself a deeply religious Hindu, who drew on Islam=20
and Christianity as he preached tolerance, nonviolence and material=20
simplicity.

To know Gandhi's place in India's modern political mythology is to=20
appreciate the sad ironies of recent events. The train full of Hindu=20
revivalists that was attacked late last month by Muslims was called=20
the Sabarmati -- the name of Gandhi's ashram. Much of the subsequent=20
anti-Muslim rioting occurred in Gandhi's home state of Gujarat.=20
Gandhi abhorred militant Hinduism and was assassinated in 1948 by a=20
Hindu extremist.

I received a tutorial in Hindu revivalism during a reporting=20
assignment in Rajasthan and Ayodhya for the Philadelphia Inquirer in=20
1998. Temple-builders told me that the new temple would have more=20
than 200 giant pillars, stretch the length of a football field, and=20
last for a thousand years.

"This is a question of our identity," said Ramesh Sompura, who runs=20
some of the Rajasthan workshops. Although the proposed temple site is=20
bitterly disputed, he said that the national government, dominated by=20
revivalists, would ensure it was built.

The controversy extends beyond Ayodhya. Hindu revivalists have also=20
targeted mosques at Mathura and Varanasi, two other holy Hindu sites.=20
"There are 30,000 sites that Hindus have lost," says Shyam Tiwari, an=20
Atlanta software developer and a spokesman for VHP of America, a U.S.=20
group that supports the revivalists. "We are asking for three of the=20
holiest sites." Mathura is the mythological birthplace of the Hindu=20
God, Krishna. In Bombay, VHP activist Ramesh Mehta told me he saw no=20
reason Muslims should object: "Krishna is not my God," he said. "He=20
is the God of every Indian."

In recent weeks, leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), or=20
Indian People's Party, which is closely linked to the VHP and leads=20
the coalition government, have come under intense pressure to let=20
construction of the Ayodhya temple move ahead, even as their=20
coalition allies resist.

There is a certain poetic justice in their dilemma. The party, once a=20
marginal force, used the Ayodhya temple to win power. In 1990, BJP=20
leader L.K. Advani led a cross-country procession to press for the=20
temple. Now the second-most-powerful person in the Indian cabinet,=20
Advani rode a chariot mounted on a truck, evoking images of Lord Ram,=20
whipping followers into a frenzy. Today, the party wants to avoid the=20
controversy, but finds that myths once created are not easily=20
dispelled.

The Ayodhya issue tapped into a feeling that runs through the milieu=20
I grew up in, the influential middle class of modern India. This=20
group, which forms the core of the revivalist movement, shares a=20
sense that India has been disinherited of its wealth, splendor and=20
rightful place in the world. Much like India's freedom movement under=20
Mahatma Gandhi, the revivalists have turned a set of inchoate fears=20
and longings into tangible goals.

Unlike Gandhi, the VHP rejects nonviolence. The revivalists equate it=20
with weakness and say that when Hindus were weak, Muslim and=20
Christian invaders took over. One of my college classmates once told=20
me that the only thing wrong with Gandhi's assassination was that it=20
hadn't happened earlier. In portraying a martial Lord Ram, the VHP=20
says that if only Hindus were strong, the country would be respected,=20
prosperous and successful.

The emphasis on military power prompted the BJP-led government to=20
order a series of nuclear tests in 1998. "The BJP and the more=20
nationalistic people that emerged in the last few decades have=20
categorically said the Gandhian approach to the world gets no respect=20
anymore," said George Perkovich, author of "India's Nuclear Bomb."

The revivalists link interpretation of the past with policies in the=20
present. Item 20 of the VHP's 40-point agenda says that "the=20
distorted presentation of modern, social and cultural history of=20
(India) will be rewritten by honest, patriotic and learned historians=20
and archaeologists. The teaching syllabus shall be accordingly=20
reformed."

Not surprisingly, this has sparked fierce battles with prominent=20
historians, especially over the revivalists' most potent symbol, the=20
temple at Ayodhya. In Atlanta, Tiwari says several Ram temples=20
existed at the site. Based on religious texts and mythology, he=20
calculates that the first temple was built in 3100 B.C., the second=20
around 150 B.C., and another in 57 B.C. A temple built in the 12th=20
century was torn down by Muslim invaders in the 16th century, he=20
says, citing documents and artifacts, and was replaced with the=20
mosque that lasted until 1992.

The VHP's opponents charge the revivalists with distorting Ayodhya's=20
history to suit their ends. Romila Thapar, a professor emeritus at=20
Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University and the author of a widely read=20
history of ancient India, calls the VHP's version "historically=20
baseless fulminations." Some historians even question whether the=20
Ayodhya mentioned in mythology is the same city as modern day=20
Ayodhya. Johns Hopkins University historian Gyanendra Pandey says=20
modern Ayodhya may have originally been called Saket and may have=20
changed its name in order to identify itself with the city in the=20
Ramayan.

Revivalists ignore Hinduism's metaphorical messages by focusing on a=20
single plot of land, Pandey says. "It made no difference whether=20
there was a temple or not," he says. "What happened in the 16th=20
century -- whatever it might have been -- cannot be set right by=20
actions in the late 20th century."

Many historians say that repeated references to Hindu victimization=20
in the past only lead to a grisly series of present-day attacks on=20
mosques, churches and missionaries. Sumit Sarkar, a Delhi University=20
scholar, wrote in a recent essay that the revivalists have=20
"remarkably little to say about the crucial problems of Indian=20
society, above all mass poverty and social injustice. Endless harping=20
on the past misdeeds, real or imagined, of other religious=20
communities is an excellent diversion. . . ."

But political myths, however tenuously linked to facts, possess=20
remarkable power. State governments allied with the revivalists have=20
rewritten textbooks to describe the repeated desecration of the Ram=20
temple and the perils of Hindu passivity. The police and judiciary=20
have become polarized over the issue. Discussions about law and order=20
increasingly prompt questions about whose law and whose order. During=20
the recent bloodletting in Gujarat, and the previous round in 1992,=20
the police were accused of tacitly allowing the mayhem to unfold.

In Ayodhya's winding streets in 1998, I met Ansar Husain, a Muslim=20
who said his ancestors had lived in the city for several centuries.=20
"There is a rotation," he said ominously. "Muslims destroy what=20
Hindus build. Hindus destroy what Muslims build. There was a mosque,=20
there will be a temple, there will be mosque again. . . ."

There is a larger lesson to be drawn from this battle: As the past=20
weeks have shown, when scholarship becomes the weapon of politics,=20
mobs become the historians, spears become quills and the pages of=20
history run with blood.

Shankar Vedantam, a writer on the national staff of The Post, was=20
born in India.

=A9 2002 The Washington Post Company

______

#3.

The Times of India
SUNDAY, MARCH 17, 2002

Marriage communalised through legal sanction?
RAHEEL DHATTIWALA
TIMES NEWS NETWORK [ SATURDAY, MARCH 16, 2002 11:25:01 PM ]
Love trangresses barriers of caste and religion. That's what we have=20
been told since time immemorial. Apparently, Ayaz Ali and Rupa=20
Tripathi discovered otherwise.
Both fell in love, decided to get married under The Special Marriage=20
Act and consequently had the whole world baying for their blood.
The Special Marriage Act of 1872 (repealed and reintroduced in 1954)=20
was formulated with the purpose of sustaining the secular essence of=20
the Constitution.
It provides for solemnisation as well as registration of marriage=20
between two individuals irrespective of caste and religion. However=20
Section 4 of the Act makes the Act conditional.
According to this, the marriage can be declared void in case either=20
marrying sides is mentally unfit, is below marriageable age, suffers=20
from recurrent attacks of epilepsy, or already has a spouse at the=20
time of marriage.
"Some of these conditions are illogical," says a leading city-based=20
advocate. He feels that the entire purpose behind a supposedly=20
democratic setup like marriage is defeated by clamping conditions=20
onto it.
"It's a matter of trust and choice. Being an adult, I should be=20
trusted for my actions. That apart, why point fingers at an epileptic=20
or a schizophrenic? Choosing my life partner should be entirely my=20
prerogative," he asserts.
Another 'condition' that has faced tremendous flak, especially on=20
communal grounds, is the necessity for affixing a 30-day public=20
notice in the office of the Marriage Officer before the marriage is=20
solemnised. The notice is meant to intimate a third person, who can=20
object to the marriage in case any of the conditions are contravened.
"Four out of 10 cases that I handled have faced the problem where a=20
third party - familial or religious - has interfered on account of an=20
inter-religion marriage," says advocate N C Gupta, a problem which=20
has tormented Ali and Tripathi themselves.
Last year, the couple decided to opt for a civil marriage under the=20
provision of the Act. As per law, the public notice was issued.
"Within the next five days, I got a phone call from a prominent=20
fundamentalist Hindu group who warned leave the girl alone or face=20
dire consequences," says Ali.
"Since Rupa's parents were opposed to our relationship, we were=20
taking the big step without informing them. After the threat call, I=20
realised that the notice could have fallen into wrong hands only=20
through informers," he adds.
In the next month, the same group intimated the girl's parents as=20
well. "They threatened me with disfiguring my face with acid unless I=20
stopped seeing Ayaz," says Tripathi.
Evidently the notice is misused for creating strife. Marriage=20
Officer, S K Amin disagrees.
"Every year we get about 120 cases of marriages being solemnised=20
under the SMA. In my three years as MO, there has never been a single=20
case of interference on communal basis," he says.
However, a source at the Ahmedabad Collectorate proves otherwise.=20
"Many times parents, who suspect their daughter is about to get=20
married to a person from a different religion, request me to inform=20
them whenever a notice is put up, and I do it. l feel it's my duty to=20
prevent a marriage which is taking place without the consent of=20
parents," he states nonchalantly.
Advocate Harin Raval feels that while the right to object makes the=20
purpose more transparent "as the inbuilt safeguards help save some=20
innocent minor from getting married off forcibly", he does believe=20
that amendments are required.
As regards the communal aspect, he says, "You either live with these=20
communal elements or work towards a less corrupt law enforcement=20
agency."

____

#4.

Subject: 18th update
Status:=20=20

Dear Friends,

The VHP juggernaut trundles on. Never mind the slap across the face by
the Supreme Court, never mind=20
outraged demands for their ban in Parliament. Their claims are now
buttressed by the RSS who have
warned the Muslims to "behave" themselves.

How much more of this nonsense are we going to take?

You are invited to :

1. Join Justice Sachar in a discussion on the implications of the RSS
threat at the Indian Social Institute,
Lodi Road, tomorrow, 19th March at 4 pm. This will be followed by a:

2. Meeting with Teesta Setalvad, who was in Gujrat during the worst of
the communal carnage. She is in
Delhi just for a day and is willing to share with us her experiences,
plus strategise with us on future action.
We will screen a half hour of video footage taken in Gujrat during the
pogrom. This will be followed by a
discussion with Teesta.