[sacw] SACW #1 (25 Sept. 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:31:30 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | Dispatch #1
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1.A citizens statement from Pakistan (received from Karachi)
#2. A Joint Statement by Civil Society organisations & initiatives in Pakis=
tan
#3. Meeting The Terrorist Challenge - Revenge is not justice (Praful=20
Bidwai, India)
#4. The supreme mistake Pakistan made was nursing the snake [Taliban] into =
dragon.... (M. B. Naqvi from Pakistan)
#5. India: Jangroko Abhiyan Statement - 'Say No to War'

________________________

#1.

JOINT PRESS STATEMENT
September 24, 2001

1. We share the immense grief and suffering of families and=20
communities caused by the brutal and murderous attacks upon innocent=20
people in the US. Since the carnage was inflicted upon people of all=20
faiths and of many nations, including Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs of=20
South Asian origin, there is much sadness in thousands of homes=20
across all of South Asia.

2. We call upon people of all faiths and nations to affirm a=20
commitment to peace, justice and democracy for all people anywhere=20
and everywhere.

3. We call upon people of all faiths, and specially Muslims, to=20
reject violence as an expression of religious faith and identity.

4. We call upon people of all nations, specially Americans, to=20
reject violence in the pursuit of national interests, and to actively=20
support the peaceful resolution of disputes among citizens in their=20
own countries and between citizens across the world.

5. We call upon all people of all countries, specially the=20
people of US, to resolutely resist the hysterical cycle of anger,=20
recrimination, and retaliation that threatens the lives of millions=20
of innocent people anywhere and everywhere.

6. We must begin with a firm protest against a world order based=20
upon stark injustice between people, that requires persistent=20
violence by states and organisations upon their own citizens and on=20
other citizens.

7. We call upon all people, specially Americans and Pakistanis,=20
to firmly oppose any actions of their own government that will impose=20
further suffering upon the innocent people of Afghanistan as=20
punishment for the actions of governments or of organisations over=20
which they have no control.

8. We call upon all people, specially Americans and Pakistanis,=20
to fully protect the social, economic, and political rights of all=20
residents in their country regardless of ethnic and religious=20
identity, and to assist the innocent people of Afghanistan in seeking=20
refuge from the terror of impending war.

9. We call upon all people, specially Americans, to ensure that=20
national and international action against terrorism ensures the=20
complete protection of all innocent citizens against harassment,=20
discrimination and violence. This will require citizens to demand=20
from their government full transparency in plans and actions.

10. We call upon all people, specially Pakistanis and Americans,=20
to demand of governments specific measures to take concrete and=20
credible measures to avert the impending catastrophe for innocent=20
citizens across the world.

11. We call upon all people, specially South Asians and=20
Americans, to ensure that action against terrorism addresses the root=20
causes of terrorism in a manner and approach that firmly establishes=20
peace, justice and democracy as the right of all citizens anywhere=20
and everywhere in the world.
12. We call upon all people, specially Americans, to demand of=20
government that action against terrorism must be grounded in the rule=20
of international law and consensus through the general assembly of=20
the United Nations and the International Court of Justice.

13. We call upon all people, specially Americans, for solidarity=20
in our demand that special assistance to Pakistan will not diminish=20
the campaign against militarisation of South Asia, and all special=20
aid will be solely and wholly used for the direct well-being of the=20
ordinary people of Pakistan.

14. We call upon all people, specially Americans, to transform=20
the world order based upon stark injustice between people that=20
requires persistent and mass violence by states and organisations=20
upon their own citizens and upon other citizens to protect plunder=20
and privilege.

15. We call upon all people, specially of Pakistan and=20
Afghanistan, to shun religious, sectarian, and ethnic prejudices, and=20
to unite in the assertion of their right to communities and nations=20
of tolerance, justice and peace.

This statement is issued by Nazim F. Haji, on behalf of and in=20
concurrence with a group of Pakistani citizens who believe that the=20
urgency of the times calls for a renewed pledge to promote broad=20
public participation in issues of peace, justice and democracy. The=20
group sincerely invites fellow citizens of all faiths to lead towards=20
a new Pakistan.

Endorsements:

Karamat Ali B. M. Kutty Arif Hasan=20
M. Akbar Khan
Syed Qaiser Ali Raza Hussain Shah Shifa Naeem=20
Zaeema Ali-Ahmad
Najm ul Haq S. T. Sohail Rashid Jooma=20
Naeem Sadiq
M. B. Naqvi Badr Siddiqi Syed Ghulam Shah=20
Yousuf Mustikhan
Aly Ercelawn Nuzhat Kidvai Umar Abbas=20
S. Amir A. Husain

________

#2.

Subject: Joint statement on US attacks on Afghanistan
Date: Friday, September 21, 2001 1:25 PM

September 20, 2001

Dear friends

A joint meeting of civil soceity organizations, including NGOs, media,
teachers associations, women groups, human rights organizations, peace
activists, trade-union represetntives, intellectuals and political workers
was held at SAP-Pakistan office Lahore on September 20, 2001. The meeting
comprehensively analyzed the situation facing Pakistan as a consequence of
the recent terrorist attacks in New York and Washington and situation of
possible millitary action from US and its allied forces. The assembly also
took a comprehensive stock of the causes and effects of the growing
terrorism in world in general and in Middle-east and South Asia in particul=
ar.

The meeting also issued a joint statement, highlighting the concerns and
demands of civil society in avoiding the possible attacks on innocent
civilians. Enclosed is the text of the joint statement issued by the meetin=
g.

Irfan Mufti
SAP-Pakistan

----------------------

Joint Statement

We, the assembly of NGOs, civil society organizations and peace groups,
express our profound shock and horror on the terrorist attacks in New York
and Washington and the killings of innocent people of various
nationalities. It was a senseless act of terror that demonstrates the
magnitude of devastation implied in the politics of hatred. As Pakistani's
who have experienced terrorism in the past and continue to be confronted by
the same forces, are fully sensitive to the sufferings that this global
menace brings. We, therefore, unconditionally condemn terrorism in any form
and any where.

We acknowledge the note of dissent registered by the international
community including US allies on the kind of overwhelming force that the US
appears getting ready to use. It is also time for the US and global
community to reflect on unjust policies especially in the Middle-East which
engender resentment and prevents a stronger support against this menace of
terrorism from emerging.

We are gravely concerned about America's preparations for the
indiscriminate bombing that would place at risk innocent civilian
population in the region. They have nothing to do with the policies of the
Taleban or crimes that Osama Bin Laden may or may not have committed.

We stand alongside the international community in our humanitarian concerns
for the fate of those large number of hapless Afghan men, women and
children, and urge that a structure that addresses their needs is put
together with the joint efforts of the international community, the civil
society and the government of Pakistan. While we share the deepest concerns
about the well being of the Afghan People, we strongly oppose those
elements who place Pakistan's security below other objectives such as
saving Taleban government in Afghanistan.

While recognizing that this is a very delicate situation that imposes many
constraints on Pakistan we urge the government not to allow US or allied
ground troops on the soil of Pakistan.

This is a critical juncture for the Pakistan's establishment to review its
policies and priorities which have contributed in no small measures to the
deadly fallout that we are witnessing today. We strongly urge the
government of Pakistan to ensure the safety and security of the citizens of
Pakistan, especially the minorities and other vulnerable groups

We the civil society stand for peace and justice and strongly believe that
use of force and military tactics neither strengthen human rights nor
preserve democracy

_________

#3.

The Praful Bidwai Column for the week beginning Sep 24

Meeting The Terrorist Challenge

Revenge is not justice

By Praful Bidwai

There is revenge in the air as America prepares to punish the=20
suspects in the unspeakably brutal terrorist acts that convulsed it=20
on September 11. Blind rage and calls for retribution have all but=20
replaced the horror, pain and anguish at the savagery of that day.=20
Initial descriptions of the attacks as crimes against humanity--which=20
they undoubtedly were--are giving way to a different language:=20
attacks against "Western civilisation", "our way of life", against=20
Western "prosperity," symbolised by the World Trade Centre. This=20
shift from the universal language of humanity to parochialism is=20
reflected in xenophobic attacks upon ethnic minorities. As America=20
besieges itself with fear, suspicion and hatred, civil liberties take=20
a beating. As sales of US flags skyrocket, there is equation of vile=20
abuse with "patriotic pride" and calls to "wipe those people out=20
and... wipe out the country that is hosting (them). Just get rid of=20
them all..." A patriotic young American demands: "Justice should not=20
take precedence over vengeance.... We ought to turn [the culprit=20
country] into a glowing desert." This, when the identity of that=20
"country" is not even established.

A news agency "explains" such beastly sentiments: "The Americans are=20
angry." (Equally disgracefully, many Indian newspapers uncritically=20
print this bilge). This ugly mood is driving the US to describe the=20
terrorist attacks, ghastly as they are, as "war", and threaten=20
unlimited destruction against its perpetrators in=20
"self-defence"--even before official agencies have collected=20
compelling evidence linking the suspects with Osama bin Laden. The US=20
has been less concerned to substantiate suspicions about the=20
conspiracy than to counter force with force, terror with terror,=20
claim an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth... But as Martin Luther=20
King said, "an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind."

The US is actually threatening and wanton damage to civilian life in=20
Afghanistan, the poorest country on earth. Deputy secretary of=20
defence Paul Wolfowitz says the aim of the coming war is "not to=20
capture a few terrorists... it is removing the sanctuaries, removing=20
the support systems, ending states who sponsor terrorism." There=20
couldn't have been a more open threat to destroy what remains of=20
Afghanistan today. However, Afghanistan can't be reduced to the=20
Taliban, let alone to one individual, bin Laden. US military action=20
is bound to produce a terrible reaction, creating an unending spiral=20
of violence, terror, counter-terror and further violence. The=20
colossal folly of an overpowering US response--as distinct from the=20
use of measured, moderate force to bring the culprits to book--will=20
be further compounded if the US acts unilaterally or manipulates the=20
Security Council into giving it blanket powers. The just-inaugurated=20
Operation "Infinite Justice" could produce infinite destruction.

Arrogance of power has blinded the US to some home truths. It simply=20
cannot comprehend why there is so much hatred against it in=20
Palestine, Iraq, the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, even Pakistan.=20
Americans are rightly horrified at the New York attacks, which have=20
probably killed 6,000 people. But they don't even register the deaths=20
of over four million in America's direct interventions or covert=20
operations in four continents: from Angola, Argentina and Brazil,=20
through Cuba, Dominican Republic and Greece, to Vietnam, Timor and=20
Zaire. Half a million children have perished in Iraq alone under=20
cruel sanctions which brought that "middle-level human development"=20
country to a point where major surgical operations had to be=20
performed without anaesthesia. Americans are equally blind to their=20
government's complicity in Israel's illegal occupation of Palestine=20
and disenfranchisement of Arabs, or its role in the Sabra and=20
Chatilla massacres, which left 17,500 dead--engineered by none other=20
than Mr Ariel Sharon, Israel's prime minister.

The confrontation under way today is not a war between democracy and=20
terrorism, but a campaign of revenge. For many people in West and=20
Southwest Asia, this war, as perceptive West Asia-based journalist=20
Robert Fisk says, is "also about American missiles smashing into=20
Palestinian homes, US helicopters firing missiles into=20
ambulance(s)... American shells crashing into village(s) ..." People=20
are appalled at the US's double standards in condoning one state=20
(Israel) which ignores Security Council resolutions, while bombing=20
all others for doing so. The US remains unseeing. It doesn't=20
understand how the $30 billion it spends on intelligence gathering=20
couldn't protect it against a low technology-based operation by=20
determined fanatics enraged by the ruthless repression of Palestine's=20
intifadah. Instead of reflecting upon the sheer stupidity of reliance=20
on purely military means for security, the US has now set out to=20
compound its epochal follies.

We are constantly reminded by the media, and by the Indian=20
government, that the Taliban is a creation of Pakistan, but rarely=20
told that bin Laden is himself an American creation. His al-Quaeda=20
was fathered in 1988 and funded by the CIA in the "holy war" against=20
the USSR. Today, Washington condemns "terrorism." But for decades, it=20
has bred terrorists and trained sadistic generals and right-wing=20
guerrillas in sabotage and torture in facilities like Camp Peary, in=20
Virginia. We must never forget that terrorism comes in both state and=20
non-state varieties. The use of indiscriminate violence by=20
governments can be infinitely more destructive than the terrorism of=20
guerrillas. Hiroshima remains the worst act of terror in history.=20
Sub-state groups' violence pales beside it.

India, to its disgrace, has become a willing collaborator in=20
America's New War. It was among the first states to offer military=20
cooperation--even before US agencies had collected evidence on=20
responsibility for the attacks. Many Indian policy-makers and=20
-shapers could barely hide their glee at the "historic" possibilities=20
that September 11 opened up for a new Indo-US "strategic partnership"=20
and for a show of India's loyalty. Important RSS-BJP leaders like=20
Narendra Modi spoke of India's "historic opportunity" to act as=20
America's main "anti-terrorism" ally. Our security "experts"=20
salivated: here is India's chance to "vindicate" its one decade-long=20
stand on "terrorism" and be drafted as a "frontline" state. Their=20
reaction was no different from Israeli hardliners': "From the=20
perspective of the Jews, [September 11] is the most important=20
public-relations act ever committed in our favour."

Prime Minister Vajpayee articulated this very view on radio by=20
demanding "overwhelming" force against governments which support=20
terrorism. He and his colleagues must be sorely disappointed that the=20
US has chosen Pakistan as its "frontline" state--for understandable,=20
if cynical, reasons: the US is not waging a noble war against an=20
international evil. In Afghanistan, Pakistan's logistical and=20
intelligence advantages, as well as leverage over the Taliban, far=20
outweigh India's. On September 19, Gen Musharraf, shrewdly, if=20
equally cynically, linked such support to Kashmir, nuclear weapons=20
and to outmanoeuvring India.

This has thrown America's would-be Indian collaborators off balance.=20
Some of them peevishly complain that India has "missed the bus." But=20
Mr Jaswant Singh has proposed another laughable idea: that a "concert=20
of democracies" should conduct the anti-"terrorist" operation.=20
Interestingly, India is not insisting on a proper Security Council=20
mandate. This "concert" is no more than a tactic to isolate Pakistan=20
and build an exclusive relationship with the US. It is based upon the=20
illusion that democracies are irrevocably opposed to terrorism or=20
won't behave in ways that create and strength it. This is dangerously=20
untrue, as the US's own history shows, and as the Kashmir and Sri=20
Lanka experiences testify. With tactless "alternatives" like these,=20
reinforced by servile pro-US attitudes, India will be in no position=20
to resist hegemonic pressures for a brutal war in and around=20
Afghanistan. Pakistan too is drifting into this, equally driven by=20
the "chance" to become America's "frontline" ally and overcome the=20
opprobrium of its "failing state" status and its Taliban operation.

This course is deeply fraught. The strength of the Islamicisation=20
process in Pakistan's army is such that Gen Musharraf won't find it=20
domestically easy to pull off any operation against "Islamic" forces.=20
There will be thin societal support for this. Perceptive observers=20
such as Tariq Ali fear an army mutiny. At minimum, Pakistan will=20
witness horrible social turmoil and destruction of its already=20
fragile institutions. It could conceivably undergo some of the same=20
processes that led to Afghanistan's collapse--albeit under a more=20
centralised authority. This could have horrifying consequences for=20
India too. A nuclear power collapsing on our borders is a nightmarish=20
prospect.

This prospect is not fantastic. Breaking into bin Laden's reinforced=20
bunkers will need a major land-based operation, with high casualties.=20
The Afghanistan terrain is extraordinarily hostile. There are no=20
high-value assets, such as industries, power stations and airports,=20
damaging which can ensure quick surrender. This spells high civilian=20
casualties. The 45,000-strong Taliban militia mixes with the civilian=20
population. Thus, "collateral damage" to civilians will be extremely=20
high. This frightful prospect can be averted only if the US is tamed=20
through the only available international body, the Security Council.=20
Instead of doing that, the Vajpayee government is kowtowing to=20
America. It is doing too little to counter the communalist equation=20
of Islam with jehadi terrorism, or to protect the minorities and=20
defend pluralist secularism at this critical juncture. Terrible=20
times lie ahead.--end--

________

#4.

M.B. Naqvi Column

Karachi September 24:

It is a season of introspection in Pakistan and the game of blaming
people is going on. Reference is to the quandary in which the country
is.

Pakistan government today is impaled on the horns of a dilemma that
leaves it no options at all, if a dilemma can do that. Indeed it is no
real dilemma; it is only a predicament brought on largely by its own
follies it has been committing as essays in realpolitik. It forgot that
there was to be tomorrow after their cold war utility and acceptance by
the west would come to an end vis-=E0-vis Afghanistan.

Your correspondent met a couple of exceptionally clear headed
intellectuals from NWFP the other day and saw their bitterness against
Islamabad's policies, conceived in the delusion that the US would
continue to be guided by the Pakistani masterminds on Afghanistan even
beyond the point where they stop yielding any concrete benefits to the
US or the west --- beyond the cold war consideration of doing down the
Soviets. There are credible claims by certain Pakistani generals that
much of the Afghan Jehad (1980-87) was the result of Pakistani
endeavour. Among them there were the early 1980s published boasts of
Gen. Naseerullah Babar who later became PPP government's Home Minister
in mid 1990s (because of his closeness to Z.A. Bhutto in 1970s and his
exploits in implementing the schemes of the secret Afghan Cell the PM
ran).

The story can conveniently start with the overthrow of King Zahir Shah
by his cousin Sardar Mohammad Daud. Pakistani cold warriors led by Z.A.
Bhutto in concert with Shah of Iran's men, decided to explore the
possibility of changing the traditional Afghan policy of strict
neutrality and to see whether the new rulers could not be made more
friendly to Pakistan and also to the favour grandiose Iranian schemes.
By 1975 all the leaders of the Seven Islamic parties --- later known as
Seven Sisters --- had come to Peshawar and they set up their offices.
Hekmatyar never went back to his country except toward the end of pro
western Jehad, intending to be the new man of destiny of his country.
President Daud had been won over by promises of $ 2 billion from Shah of
Iran for developing his country in 1976. He even received $ 100 million,
or were they $ 200 million, one forgets. But then various slips between
the cup and the lip intervened. Iranian money was actually not so
plentiful or perhaps it was to be disbursed in stages of the change in
Afghanistan's policy. Daud moved cautiously and was afraid of leftists
--- Tarakai, Hafizullah Amin, Babrak Karmal et al. He decided to ban
their Khalq and Parcham organisations and arrest their main leaders.
Meanwhile these two factions united, forcing Daud to move swiftly. While
Daud began his manhunt, the left struck in April, surprising Russians as
much as the American experts. But after the Saur Revolution, the
Russians were left no choice --- unless they would allow Afghanistan to
stumble into the western boudoir. The rest is well known history.

The point of this tale is that Pakistanis had been active in forcing a
change in Kabul long before the leftist takeover, which in a way
thwarted all the moves that M16, CIA and Pakistan's ISI were planning in
Peshawar, the real centre of intelligence and intrigue from the British
days. The US seems to have promised at some stage of the Jehad that
should their side win, they leave that unhappy mountainous country to
Pakistan; it will have a free hand in Afghanistan. They fulfilled the
promise, allowing Pakistan to make and unmake governments in Kabul from
1992 onward. The Taliban regime began in the autumn of 1996. All the
three governments in Kabul since the sad end of Dr. Najibullah, were
made in Peshawar by ISI. Each of them ultimately against Pakistan.
Tradition of attacking Pakistan's embassy or consular offices in Kabul,
Jalalabad and Kandhar is quite old and has been regularly repeated since
1992. The latest, Taliban, regime has openly threatened war I
retaliation if Pakistan were to allow the Americans to mount military
operations against their government.

Today Pakistan has been dragooned into permitting American navy, air
force and foot soldiery, anything all, to use its soil or its air space
or waters. Which to use, the decision will be Americans. Pakistan
Foreign Minister said on Sept 23 that as of that moment there was no
American soldier on Pakistan soil. But he went on to admit that
Pakistanis do not know what the Americans will do or want Pakistan to do
to facilitate them. The Islamabad regime has given a blank cheque to the
Americans to fill in at their conveniences; they have to name the
facility they need and it will be made available to them. Sovereignty
and national pride of Pakistanis lies in the dust. Had Pakistan been a
country like Pakistan is, there would be no problem. But Islamabad=92s
sins, as those Pashtoon intellectuals --- uncharacteristically reluctant
to give their names --- asserted were quite a few. First, Pakistan
joined the west on false pretences and in unrealistic expectations: all
it was interested in was western support on Kashmir and foreign aid so
that it could go on buying military hardware so as to confront India. It
had no other interest in the cold war. This was totally unsound. No
western country, least of all a superpower, would prefer Pakistan=92s case
against India=92s and support it. It was wholly unrealistic to forget the
natural weight of a huge and democratic nation.

There was the ultimate unrealism of permanent military confrontation
with another nation-state with a much larger resource base. Secondly to
predicate one (smaller) nation-state's strength on foreign support for a
radical confrontation with another could only be foolish. It could at
best weaken and cheapen both. Pakistan's interest in Afghanistan was
however not unrelated to India. The ideas of acquiring strategic depth
by virtually extinguishing the sovereignty and independence of a much
older state too could only be a monumental folly, especially when this
bigger fish itself need dollops of foreign aid. Undertaking an imperial
venture against a fiercely independence-loving people like the Afghans
by someone dependent on American aid would seem odd to any Afghan. If he
has to part with his independence why would he not go to the Yankees and
do a deal himself.

The supreme mistake Pakistan made was nursing the snake (Taliban) into a
dragon it later became is an example of sorts. What an irony of history
that the same ISI that reared Taliban would be given the embassy to go
and tell Mulla Mohammad Omar to handover Osama to Uncle Sam or face war
with him. Here the folly did not end at Afghanistan. Cousins of Taliban,
the Jehadis, are giving a tough time to the Army within Pakistan that
has fostered and strengthened them. It is this army that, for its own
survival, is now required to contain and crush them.

_______

#5.